Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents_winners.thumb.jpg.0650e36a94861077374d1ab41812d185.jpg

Bizibilder

Windows 10 - What works and what doesn't

Simple thread - please list what astro related software and equipment etc works or does not work with Windows 10 installed.

Just add a post to state the facts.  Discussions should be started in their own threads please.  Hopefully this will become a useful reference list.

• Like 2

Teamviewer works for those that remote to a PC at the scope.

• Like 1

These all appear to work fine

• Photoshop 5.1
  • Registax 6 (wavelet Sharpening)
  • Autostakkert, including the beta version
  • Deep Sky Stacker
  • IMPPG
  • Registar
  • Astra Image 4 (both standalone and PS plugin)
  • Straton
  • Stellarium
  • Virtual Moon Atlas
  • Cartes du Ciel
  • Remote Desktop (Win 10 Home to Win 10 Home and Win 10 Home to Win 7 Pro)
Edited by Zakalwe
  • Like 3

Hitec Astro DC Focus works fine

Ditto for the Focus Master (controlling a Robofocus stepper)

Firecapture 2.5 beta works fine (with ASI 174 camera)

Sequence Generator Pro starts up and connects. Plate solves OK.

I haven't tried capturing any images or PHD guiding so far.  All in all, it runs everything that Ive thrown at it fine so far.

If it worked on Win 7, then at this stage, I'm saying that it will almost certainly work on 10.

Yes, most of he stuff works and should work. There are some minor driver issues with older versions of Prolifics's USB to serial chips but there are guides on the internet with resolutions.

/per

Just tried EQMod with win 10 and it wouldnt connect , It seems that whilst upgrading the com ports have changed .

The usb I usually use to connect mount always used to be com 3 now its com 4 .

went in to eqmod telescope settings ,changed the port number and connected and working , :grin:  :grin:

Edited by Pyrodave

Upgraded my astro laptop to Win10 the other day and so far so good.  I had to re-install the Prolific driver as described above to get EQMOD back up and running but apart from that everything else looks OK, though I still have to check the cameras still work - that's a job for this weekend.

• Like 1

Pixinsight - OK

TheSky6 Pro - OK

Deep Sky Planner - OK

Pixinsight, PHD, APT, PIPP working

My Photoshop Elements 10 said something about needing Internest Explorer 6 or later to beinstalled for some features, but seemed to be working fine apart from that dialogue box

Upgraded my astro laptop to Win10 the other day and so far so good.  I had to re-install the Prolific driver as described above to get EQMOD back up and running but apart from that everything else looks OK, though I still have to check the cameras still work - that's a job for this weekend.

All cameras still work OK (Meade DSI via PHD, QHY8L & SXV-H9 via Neb 4).

Onboard sound not working on my oldish desktop but otherwise fine. Ebay here I come :smiley:

Steve

One thing you'll all need to sort out would appear to be the Automatic Restart time.

As Win10 has apparently removed the options regarding update selection from the hands of the customer  ... (still not happy about this personally so will be

holding back on upgrading myself for a while yet ) ...  your computer is going to restart itself at some point in order to configure these regular , neverending

updates ; all well and good for 'normal' folk but it's likely to catch out some of the 'nocturnals' at 02:00 or 03:00 sitting outside in the middle of an imaging run

...  :rolleyes:

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Like 3

One thing you'll all need to sort out would appear to be the Automatic Restart time.

As Win10 has apparently removed the options regarding update selection from the hands of the customer  ... (still not happy about this personally so will be

holding back on upgrading myself for a while yet ) ...  your computer is going to restart itself at some point in order to configure these regular , neverending

updates ; all well and good for 'normal' folk but it's likely to catch out some of the 'nocturnals' at 02:00 or 03:00 sitting outside in the middle of an imaging run

...  :rolleyes:

That's not correct Steve.

You can defer updates even in Home as well as schedule any necessary reboots. The default setting is to download and apply updates automatically (the same as Win 7 and 8, and probably OSs before that). What you cannot do on Home is prevent the system from downloading updates, but you can prevent a "random" reboot.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-windows-10-force-reboot-on-home-users-after/31094345-735f-4476-bee6-f3f0ed077820

Honestly, there's more rumours and conspiracy theories about Win 10 than JFK's assassination! :grin:

Edited by Zakalwe
  • Like 3

Thanks for that sir , seems that wherever I look for a definitive clear answer there is fog ...  :p

Will still be waiting personally , there's a little bit of Luddite that still pops up at the mention of upgrades ...  :grin:

TheSkyX

Maxim DL 6.9

ACP

ASCOM Platform

all working fine, though for Ascom had to install .NET 3.5 and C++ 2010 Runtime

Will still be waiting personally , there's a little bit of Luddite that still pops up at the mention of upgrades ...  :grin:

Just keep hitting it with a big hammer. If it doesn't fix it then at least you will work out your frustration on it.

Works for me everytime! :grin: :grin: :grin:

• Like 2

not tried my astro software yet, just upgraded today,

But Eos Utilities wont connect to my 1100D,   system recognises the camera and I can access the memory card using file explorer,

not tried my astro software yet, just upgraded today,

But Eos Utilities wont connect to my 1100D,   system recognises the camera and I can access the memory card using file explorer,

What version of Eos Utils...? Just tried Ver 3 and it  connects to my 5DIII , 7D and 7DII and works fine...