SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Windows 10 - What works and what doesn't

Bizibilder

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

two clean installs so far, but my youngest's laptop complained a little - didn't seem to have the correct video card driver after install so was all stretched at the wrong resolution, but was very simply fixed by letting it search the web for a new driver.  Norton also seemed to have gotten removed somehow, had to reinstall that.

Norton doesn't seem to like the new Edge yet.  But then I'm not really sure I see any benefits on Edge that aren't there on Chrome

SharpCap works fine, not tried the others...

and for those worried about personal information being phoned home to Micro$oft etc. then follow some of the tips on these sites http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults/   http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

and for those worried about personal information being phoned home to Micro$oft etc. then follow some of the tips on these sites http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults/   http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

Best do the same with Chrome, Google, Facebook and any Apple products. They all hover up huge amounts of data on you.

Thanks for that. And, erk, I think I'll give W10 a miss!

not tried my astro software yet, just upgraded today,

But Eos Utilities wont connect to my 1100D,   system recognises the camera and I can access the memory card using file explorer,

If you use avg you have to create an exception for Canon Utils, its fine after.

If your not using avg it wont help ... did you check which version of Eos utils you are using and see if there was an update available?

version 2 I belive,  cant find another version, its an 1100d , and as said I do use AVG

Maxim DL5 doesn't work properly in Windows 10.

The programme will open if opened from its own icon but if I double click a FITS file and choose Maxim as the default programme to open that type of file it reports that the MSI installation file is missing and crashes!!! I cant find a *.msi file within the Maxim programme files   :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Done a clean install of Win 10 Pro everything working fine.

Astroart 5 with latest service packs ok.

Pixinsight with latest updates ok.

Spectroscopy software `BASS project` and `ISIS` working fine

Steve

I appreciate all these posts as I am about to purchase my first Windows machine for my Astronomy stuff.  (I'm a Mac guy.)  Apparently, from what I am reading the Astro programs are working on Windows 10.  Can anyone out there give me a few pointers as to which machine I should buy?  What to look for?  Ram? etc etc.

What machine to buy is a "Pandora's Box" question. You are inviting 100 conflicting answers, so I won't touch it by supplying a brand-name.

I'd look for one with the best guarantee and tech-support. And use your favorite search-engine using the name of the computer you're looking at, followed by the word: PROBLEMS.

Becoming a Luddite,

Dave

version 2 I belive,  cant find another version, its an 1100d , and as said I do use AVG

seems its only the launcher that wont work, if I start EOS utility then connect the camera it works fine

Have a few to throw into the mix here....

BYN failed on me last night on my imaging laptop.  Program starts ok but flat out refuses to connect to the camera.  Camera is detected by W10 and can browse it, but cannot connect.  Have put a post about it on O'Telescope too.

Am also having issues with PI too.  Had a memory addressing issue earlier today when running integration on bias files in a prelude to processing last nights data.  Have now run PI in compatibility mode, but that is still causing a few issues...mainly in I cannot do integration with drizzling.  All goes fine up until the 'updating drizzle files; bit and then PI goes non responsive.

Have rolled back my laptop to W7 Pro 64 and all is good there, but am keeping my desktop on W10 for now.  Hopefully these early teething issues will be resolved.

Showing total newb side here, but is there a feedback channel for PI so that I can report these issues I am having?

Just upgraded to Windows 10 but having problems with EQASCOM.  EQMOD launches OK but get port error.  I've did the prolific driver fix and it reports no issues and confirmed the port is set in config etc....

Check in Device manager. I have to keep "rolling back" the driver on mine.

Just upgraded to Windows 10 but having problems with EQASCOM.  EQMOD launches OK but get port error.  I've did the prolific driver fix and it reports no issues and confirmed the port is set in config etc....

Ian,

Suggest you repeat the procedure and check each step carefully.  I've done the fix twice (when upgrading to Win8 and then to Win10) and on both upgrades I had to redo the fix simply because I'd missed a step out :wacko: .  After paying the necessary attention to detail, it all installed and worked OK.

Archived