Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Windows 10 - What works and what doesn't

Bizibilder

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm doing it again will report back. On your first failure did you have a warning triangle or did everything look okay?

Hi Ian,

I suspect that I did get a warning triangle as this alerted me to the fact that something had gone pear shaped during the procedure.

I asked Moravian on their Facebook page - if they had tested their drivers and software on Windows 10 - their answer:

• Moravian CCD cameras So, all software is tested and works ok, with the exception of the functionality crippled by Windows 10 itself. It is almost impossible to distinguish active and inactive windows, window zooming frames are hidden and indicated by mouse cursor shape only etc. But this is not our fault.
  • 375823_233020083429377_1136507152_n.jpg?

What machine to buy is a "Pandora's Box" question. You are inviting 100 conflicting answers, so I won't touch it by supplying a brand-name.

I'd look for one with the best guarantee and tech-support. And use your favorite search-engine using the name of the computer you're looking at, followed by the word: PROBLEMS.

Becoming a Luddite,

Dave

Great answer Dave. 100% agree.

Sorry if I'm going off thread here a little but can I ask on a scale of 1 to 10 how would users who have upgraded from W7 to W10 rate the overall experience? Personally I have an old laptop with W7 Pro 64 bit and it works great. I appreciate that at some point Windows will always update to something new but I'm stuck at that point of being happy with something that works and that I "understand" to making an update to something that is potentially going to need a gazillion updates. Basically is it worth it if you don't have a high spec machine?

Sorry if I'm going off thread here a little but can I ask on a scale of 1 to 10 how would users who have upgraded from W7 to W10 rate the overall experience? Personally I have an old laptop with W7 Pro 64 bit and it works great. I appreciate that at some point Windows will always update to something new but I'm stuck at that point of being happy with something that works and that I "understand" to making an update to something that is potentially going to need a gazillion updates. Basically is it worth it if you don't have a high spec machine?

If you are happy with a machine then just turn off the option of having updates applied and carry on using it.  There is no reall obligation to upgrade to win10 other than having to pay if you wish to do so after 29/7/2016.

The issue I have is the way windows 10 uses any windows live account you have and links that to the local account (even the administrator account) forcing you to use its passward to log in.  This means that anyone seeing you log in to the PC then knows your live account password too !

Yeah.  When I originally upgraded and rebooted for the first time I was locked out.  I never set a password and simply used the administrator account with a blank password.  I had to use a linux tool kit and reset the password to blank in order to get in.  Then yesterday I added my microsoft live account in order to use outlook.com and today I had to log in, using the same password that I set for the Live account !

Tell what doesn't work... the Roll Back option !

Win 10 prevented network scanning from our Brother MFC5860 device, so I have no way of archiving documents.  Audiocity no longer able to record off the windows stream to the default audio device either.. so I tried rolling back.  It reports that it cac't do so because files are missing... the only thing that changed was windows itself did a further update yesterday... scanning the net it seems a common problem, with the only way out being a full format and re-install of the previous OS.

So much for the 28 day limit... seems it gets forced upon you.  Either use windows 10 or format your drive and re-install, having to make manual backups along the way !

Tell what doesn't work... the Roll Back option !

Win 10 prevented network scanning from our Brother MFC5860 device, so I have no way of archiving documents.  Audiocity no longer able to record off the windows stream to the default audio device either.. so I tried rolling back.  It reports that it cac't do so because files are missing... the only thing that changed was windows itself did a further update yesterday... scanning the net it seems a common problem, with the only way out being a full format and re-install of the previous OS.

So much for the 28 day limit... seems it gets forced upon you.  Either use windows 10 or format your drive and re-install, having to make manual backups along the way !

Ouch - sorry to hear that. 

I'm going to be upgrading my desktop shortly from Win8.1 to 10 and have done an image backup (via the File History facilities in Control Panel) so that hopefully I'll have a fall back - that is assuming that the image restore works better that the roll back in Win10.

Win 10 normally works in 2 modes for user authentication, local accounts or M$ Live accounts. There is another mode, but that is for when your PC is domain joined.....

To follow best practices for security, you should create a reduced permissions user with password AND set a long password for the Administrator account. If this is done before the Win 10 upgrade that is what you will have post upgrade...

The major problem when setting a Live account as the login, is that the PC will start to feedback to M$, everything that you are doing on the PC  :angry4:, as part of their "trying to be helpful" \ ad slinger routine, see posts earlier in this thread.

It is possible to un-hook the Live account and return to 'normal' local accounts using Accounts in the Settings applet.

It makes sense to image your present OS prior to updating to Windows 10. Having updated three of my own machines and about a dozen for clients I have found mess ups virtually non existent. The biggest thing that has affected me was that EOS Utility would not work. I downloaded the later Canon Utilities which installed EOS Utility 2.

As for imaging your present OS before upgrading rather than relying on the rollback option then use Macrium Reflect Free at http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Make sure you make a recovery CD. Make a System Backup. If you don't like W10 then just boot from the CD, browse to your image and let it restore. It's free too.

I had the nagging upgrade icon in the tool bar,  decided to start the download with half an idea that I could save the OS somewhere for a later install,  but as these things go I defaulted the upgrade to 10 pro.  I found it sticky and slow on my ageing laptop as if something was running in the background and after a few hours playing went to roll back, seemed quite quick and easy,  now happy and back on windows 7.  

Had to uninstall a windows update KB3035583 to remove the win 10 update icon in the task bar, then hide it so it won't be installed again.

I didn't have that option as something I did post upgrade stopped it rolling back.  I've just completed a fresh rebuild and have now used macrium Reflect to make an image and recovery disk so I now have a working base with all my main applications working as they should.

I removed my PC from my live account, but the PC still tried to use my credentials as a local user account, even though this was the default administrator account, which originally had no password set. - It had totally got screwed up !

Having just re-built the observatory PC and managed to get all the software and hardware talking as it should, so won't be putting windows 10 on that in a hurry, at least not without taking an image of the drive first

even though this was the default administrator account, which originally had no password set.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The first thing to do on any PC is set a very strong password on the Administrator account, and then write it down somewhere (or use a password vault). Never leave the Admin account open!

Just to add to the mix, having read all these posts I decided to upgrade in the hope that it would solve my USB 3 port not appearing to work - updated drivers, etc and still no luck.  So yesterday I started the download.  10 hours later still working on it. So closed and after a bit of fiddling around opened the get windows button to discover that it had apparently completed the download and was waiting for the upgrade.  So this morning tried that and it is 'working on it'!  Looking online it appears that this can take many hours even if you have plenty of disc space, as I have.

For some reason can't edit the last post.  Anyway, my wife's computer is a 64 bit Windows 7 with not much on it, so tried that today.  After quite a few hiccups, including a security update which took ages to implement and seemed to be interfering with the Windows 10 it has finally decided to do the upgrade.  On the computer I am currently using to write this, the Windows 7 32 bit, I have temporarily given up as I have come to the conclusion that when it says 'working on it' nothing is actually happening - this seemed to be true on the wife's computer as well.  Will maybe leave it running overnight in case something decides to work.  It all seems very hit and miss.

Just to add my bit into the mix!. Just finished upgrading my 4th computer to Win 10 (yes I know I really should get out more :smiley: ) Each pc had hung on `Checking for upgrades` and didn`t go any further. The only thing I now do which works every time is- Download the Media creation tool from the |Microsoft web site and put it on a usb stick, do a clean install of which OS was on the pc  ie Win 7 or Win 8.1... from your recovery discs, (You did make some didn`t you when you bought the machine :eek:)  then before upgrading anything run the `upgrade this pc`option in the Media creation tool and voila a new Win 10 machine. Well worth upgrading to Win 10 BTW (so far!!!)

Steve

Hi Steve, that sounds 'interesting'. I actually want to upgrade from Windows 7 32 to 64 bit Windows 10 but the 'blurb' says I must first upgrade to Windows 10 32 bit, which is what I have been trying to do.  I have both the 32 and 64 DVD's as I installed the OS myself.  But bit worried about the license as again it says can only use 1 and not sure if changing to the 64 will work.  Any thoughts?

Archived