Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Windows 10 - What works and what doesn't

Bizibilder

I dumped Win 10 over 2 months ago. Caused me far too many problems. I will probably try it after another couple of years, certainly not now. I have wasted far too much time on it as I said. When Microsoft get there act together I will be more interested. Their updates are of no interest until it is a proven operating system. If others want to waste time that is up to them, I have far more important things to do.

Best of luck with it.

Derek

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Starshoot autoguider has never worked with W10 (desktop at home). I tried transferring the old drivers from my W8.1 laptop and the computer found the camera but wouldn't start cycling exposures. I've contacted Orion's helpdesk and they say they're working on it but couldn't give a timescale for a fix. For such a common piece of equipment as the SSA, I'm shocked they haven't got a solution yet.

In the field I use my laptop and all works well. At home I have to use a combination of laptop and desktop, and that's annoying.

StevieO

StevieO,

I went through this same sort of problem each time I (upgraded !), earlier versions of Windows. I have found out it is better to just wait for a year or two for it to be sorted out, in the meantime just stick with what works. Every time Microsoft announce a new system that is supposed to be (GREAT, THE BEST,,,,, ) whatever, it is the same story. It always requires newer drivers! Why? Are they incapable of making it backwards compatible? Obviously..

All Microsoft want is your custom to line their coffers. I have gone through over thirty years of the same rubbish talked about their newest /latest software. We all want the new up to date operating system. But it is always about a year or more before it all works properly again.

It's a shame that we end up suffering for the greed and stupidity of a multinational company.

Derek

My Starshoot autoguider has never worked with W10 (desktop at home). I tried transferring the old drivers from my W8.1 laptop and the computer found the camera but wouldn't start cycling exposures. I've contacted Orion's helpdesk and they say they're working on it but couldn't give a timescale for a fix. For such a common piece of equipment as the SSA, I'm shocked they haven't got a solution yet.

In the field I use my laptop and all works well. At home I have to use a combination of laptop and desktop, and that's annoying.

StevieO

Just got the same response from Orion they're "working on a solution" blimey, how hard can it be  :grin:

Dave

My wife's 64bit Win 7 laptop was always slower than my 32bit Win 7 despite a similar spec, so we upgraded hers to Win 10. It was painless and hers now became faster than mine - for web browsing which is the main use.  So I decided to go for it with my laptop. Didn't work, or rather it didn't seem to want to play ball with my 32 bit so gave up after a couple of days.  But my laptop has 8Gb RAM and the only reason it was 32 bit was because I wanted to run legacy software.  However, having come to the conclusion that I could run that software on my other computers, I upgraded it to Win 7 64 bit.  And then about 3 weeks ago I upgraded to Win 10 without any problems.

The results of all this is that it does run faster, both in processing (AS!2 seems to be much faster, maybe twice as fast) and web browsing - when the web is working.  And all the programs seem to work.  Even my ancient Family Tree Maker can be made to work despite complaints.

However, there are problems, which mainly seem to updated related, both Windows and other programs like AVG which cause the computer to hang.  And until I bowed to AVG pressure and upgraded to their no longer free PC tuneup I had problems with the adaptive graphics which were constantly dimming the screen no matter what the settings.  And the constant tips from Windows and AVG are not always appreciated.  And yes I am now more aware of being spied on by MS and others but that seems to be the world we live in.

I've just purchased a Toshiba Kira netbook 13" 8GB .5 150 SSD Win10, solely for image capturing. I've been through the uninstall programs and removed everything not needed, incredible amount of "junk", switched off WIFI, installed ASCOM, Maxim, PHD and camera drivers.

It now boots in ten seconds and that's only because I'm filling in the password, if it stops raining I may even get to use it :)

Dave

• 1 month later...

Windows 10 working fine with ASCOM/EQMOD, sharpcap, BYEOS

The only issue I had was with EQdirect cable and prolific driver. I had to install the drivers from FLO using the tutorial on how to revert back to an older driver as the most recent one was freezing EQMOD randomly (froze 5 or 6 times in a couple of hours) I thought it was a cabling or hub issue but after reverting to the old driver from FLO I had a 5 hours session without freezing once.

Webcam/DSLR/EQDIRECT in 1 hub+5m usb repeater cable working fine now.

Hi

I recently switched from my old trusted Sony Vaio running Vista to a new Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 (took advantage of an Amazon Black Friday deal). I must say I was pleasantly surprised to find that all the software I was using on the Vaio now works flawlessly on Windows 10. In no particular order:

ASCOM

EQMOD

EQDir

SGPro

PHD2

Cartes du Ciel

Stellarium

Bahtinov Grabber

QSI690

Lodestar X2

XBox wireless controller

The only hassle I had was with the EQDir/Prolific driver (as others have already mentioned) but if you follow the instructions on FLO or the HitecAstro website the correct driver can be easily installed (basically you have to use an 'old' driver and prevent the latest driver from overwriting it).

I used the new laptop for my most recent capture using SGPro with no issues at all.

Regards

John

Last October I updated may ageing Toshiba Satellite laptop to Win 10 (from Win 7), unfortunately I could never get Stellarium to run under 10 as it kept telling me "No Open GL", an updated driver was nowhere to be found for my graphics chip, so ended up rolling back.

Just before Christmas I bought a refurbed HP Elitebook 8 gig ram, CoreI5 with win 10 installed, Stellarium, Eqmod, DSS, Registax, PHD all run fine, and OMG is it fast. 10 sec startup from cold to ready to go.

Rob.

Windows 7 is more 'geeky' and you feel in control . And microsoft says 'the start menu is back'...who cares if you already have it on 7 ? windows 10 looks distracting to me..it doesn't have Elvis' sense of TCB !  And free forever ? Or getting us into a paid licence over time ? Let's face it...microsoft like any company wishes their product to be a means of making you buy things. Once the net was all 'geek' but now it is all commerce . Awful !

There are some interesting net available reasons for not upgrading like ' ten reasons not to upgrade' . It sounds like windows will 'be watching you' in the 10 format .

• 1 month later...

AIP4WIN, which I used for photometry, does not run under Windows 10.

The supplier gives some polite answers but leaves is there.

I switched to another program which performs satisfactory. The book is good, but I removed the AIP4WIN-prgram as being unsupported software.

(All my other software transported from Windiows 7->10, run smooth, and to my surprise often faster.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I had issues with my eqdir cable drivers. It worked when I tested it but when I got to try it in anger I just got the dreaded code 10 driver fault. I tried the Flo work around but I couldn't get that to work. 

I used the 64 bit software fix from these guys

http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/news37.html 

& all is working fine at the moment.

Archived