Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crescent Nebula - 300mm lens on Astrotrac

melsky

A very enjoyable imaging session last night at the Rollrights with Astrosurf (http://stargazerslou...ing-worked-m51/) and while she was muttering to her autoguider I set up my Astrotrac.

The wind had died down by now so I thought I would try out my new 300mm lens on the modded Canon 550D, target was the Crescent Nebula in hydrogen alpha and I managed to get 25 usable 4 minute subs within the 2 hour run of the Astrotrac. All processing done in Photoshop and I must say I'm very pleased with this image as a first attempt with this combination.

Mel

7358083780_8a8e34fab9_h.jpg

Thanks Peter

It's the Canon non IS 300mm F4 L 1994 vintage, the newer image stabilised lenses have 15 elements in them whereas the older lens has only 7 and is reputed to be sharper.

Mel

I'm very impressed with that. Good depth and detail and tight stars.

That lens is a keeper !

Did you use a wide Ha filter ? There's tons of signal showing for 4 minute subs. Not that I'm jealous :)

Dave.

Nice photo, some older lenses are far better for astro work than 'all singing all dancing' modern lenses.

I also tried NGC688 as a first light through my new 8" scope last night too. But I had issues with focussing, collimation & no guiding.

Still at least it's an image......

crescentnebula002.jpg

"I must say I'm very pleased with this image as a first attempt with this combination" :eek:

I think you've understated just-a-bit here - superb imaging.

Look forward to the more-than-just-pleased image!

WOW!!! That's excellent :) So you CAN use an Ha filter with modified DSLR :):angel8::icon_salut::hello2:

Did you use a clip filter?

Thanks Gina

It's the astronomik 12nm HA filter which I wouldn't be without this time of year.

Mel

Thanks Gina

It's the astronomik 12nm HA filter which I wouldn't be without this time of year.

Mel

Thanks :) I wonder if you know the best (cheapest) place to get one :) This is something I've been thinking of trying.

Archived