Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

  • Announcements



Advanced Members
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

709 Excellent


About fwm891

  • Rank
    Retired Photographer
  • Birthday 13/05/51

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Interests
    Astro Imaging, Acoustic Guitar building, Making own equipment, tinkering...
  • Location
    Bishops Nympton, Devon
  1. Tried changing the settings - no change though. Looking to see if things are different in SGPro...
  2. Thanks Daz, Also been reading the manual !!! note to self "should do this more often"...
  3. Having some problems getting guider calibration in Maxim. Always getting a message "< moved less than 5 pixels" and each calibration step showing only 1 or 2 pixel movement sometimes only in one axis. Any thoughts anyone? Guider camera is an SX Lodestar, mount iOptron iEQ45 Pro. Camera image is updating every 2 secs (that's my usual guider period) and the graph is quite flat although not along the axis'. PA is good goto's are usually on the CCD but just can't figure out why guiding isn't playing ball! Cheers - Francis
  4. Thanks. Trouble is the iOptron Commander bypasses that option...
  5. I used to use CdC to control my scope years ago and seem to remember that there was a small N S E W / stop pad that sat on to of the charts allowing you to tweak the scope position after a slew or centring? Then I was working with EQMod but now working via iOptron's Commander and ASCOM. Am I just confused in later life or is there a plug-in etc that gives a small motion control with CdC?
  6. I did my NEQ6 belt mod sometime ago and remember that Chris Ch (of EQMod fame) published some changes for the eqmod **drive rates as there was a gearing change from the original gear ratios - seem to remember that initally after the mod it ran slightly slower and always short of the target. Changing the **drive rate compensated for the mount not travelling far enough. It still ran slower but didn't wake the neighbours up in the process!
  7. Anyone using the iOprton StarFi unit (Particularly with the iEQ45 Pro). If so any problems... Cheers, Francis
  8. Super image Sara. Adding the 3nm Ha in there, has that been too restrictive in the 'red' areas - perhaps a 7nm or similar may have just tweaked those areas a little? Not sure need to keep going back to this...
  9. Yes it worked. Not tried in anger yet but at least its showing images (of the garden) so hopefully getting there... Francis
  10. Required the above plug-in to update ascom for the SX camera
  11. Hi, Just taken delivery of an SX Trius 825 mono and wanted to try SGPro as my license for Maxim has expired, not using the image processing side of Maxim makes it an expensive renewal - so I thought I'd give SGPro a go!!! Firstly Maxim sees the camera and will capture from it, sees my Lodestar guider, Xagyl FW and iEQ45 Pro mount. When I try to link toi these in SGPro mount, FW and Lodestar are all seen but the Trius isn't and I can't find anything on the SGPro site/forum to help. Anyone out there know a work-round for this ? Cheers Francis
  12. Thanks All, need to modify my OAG for the Xagyl filter wheel and SX825 Trius then I can try and repeat these guided.... TBC
  13. Received my iEQ45 Pro late Saturday PM (16-04-2016) assembled it easily and filled out all the bits needed in the handset. It was clear Saturday evening with patchy cloud but managed a few images - they showed some field rotation so I needed to look at the PA adjustment more closely. I played with the mount during Sunday and spent some time on aligning the polar axis reticule (as described in the manual ). Clear again Sunday night so took a bit more time positioning Polaris on the etched reticle. I did a three star alignment as opposed to a one star the previous night. The alignment and focussing was done on the back of a Nikon D5100 using the red rectangle on the live-view screen, so not the best way to polar align . Aligned using Arcturus, Castor and Alioth. Anyway, as the moon was bright I chose three targets: M51, M101 and M's 81 and 82. Subs were set at 180s each, 800 iso no field flattener on the Altair Astro 115 EDT-APO scope. GoTo's were good with each 'M' well positioned on the sensor, I used a programmable timer on the camera for the captures with a minimum of 3 subs per subject (because PI's star align won't work with less than 3 subs). This was a test of the tracking on the iEQ45 Pro, no link back to the PC and no auto guiding used. No retouching of the debris has been done to any of the images (Note to self - must clean the sensor!) The images - processed in PI, cropped to remove the ragged edge around my sensor where it was stripped of all its filters. Number of subs used is noted in the file name:
  14. The camera hadn't been used for sometime so the desiccant probably needed changing/regenerating. Clear skies
  15. Great piece of imaging and processing Steve - camera seems to be working well