Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

What a beautiful day !   :smile:

My Wife Dorothy and I went for a drive up to Brecon and did a little shopping along with some sightseeing.  We took a little side trip, and met up with fellow observer Daiwelly at Aberbran Fawr Farm camp site.  It was nice to finally meet and get aquainted. Behind the main campground is a meadow separated by a dense tree line all around; looks like a good place to set up for observing, as it's shielded from nearby lights.  We had a nice visit, then headed off to check out some Antique shops, unfortunately, did not find an old Clark Refractor.   :icon_frown:

Here's my version of a panoramic photo of the meadow taken by the gate, lol.

post-21902-0-08952100-1403386938_thumb.j

post-21902-0-64638200-1403386950_thumb.j

post-21902-0-94904400-1403386966_thumb.j

post-21902-0-47972000-1403386985_thumb.j

Sounds like a nice trip out, we were meant to go for a drive and some lunch yesterday but became side-tracked with the gardening.

Those pics look lovely and peaceful. I would hate to live in a big place, don't like going to Swansea or Llanelli, only when needs must and then its so long since I went last time that  everything changes, new roundabouts etc that I get lost and hate going even more. 

Sounds like a nice trip out, we were meant to go for a drive and some lunch yesterday but became side-tracked with the gardening.

Those pics look lovely and peaceful. I would hate to live in a big place, don't like going to Swansea or Llanelli, only when needs must and then its so long since I went last time that  everything changes, new roundabouts etc that I get lost and hate going even more. 

That's Nothing

I live in Swansea, and if I go into the centre "I get Lost"  :grin:

Cheers

Pete.

tonights another nice clear night out here, been like this all week,   whos managed to get out this week? i was out till 3 this morning :) renewed the hobby the last set of images iv taken. althrough i think i want to trade my SW synscan mount for a SE6/8 mount (but put somthing like a 127 or 6" on there instead)   

• 3 weeks later...

Worked all day building concrete forms, took an early nap hoping I might get a chance for a "little" observing tonight. Seems like it would be a perfect night, its nice, cool, but unfortunately with total cloud cover; had to give it a try though.  :dontknow:

I looked out the window at about 11pm last night Mike and the sky was crystal clear - looking much better tonight though from fairly early but its still so light.

Hows the house coming on you must be getting to the end by now after all the work you've been doing?

Still have a long way to go Steve, not easy juggling life on both sides of the world, but things are moving right along.

The Observing deck will be in before the house is liveable though.   :rolleyes:  

• 5 weeks later...

possiably a useful buy for any one looking for a new mattrus.  (it is astro related too!!)

bought a new mattrus a few weeks ago from ikea.  and made sure before hand the disco had enough room (checked and it did for a double)

went into ikea and went to pick it up downstairs in the warehouse and had a pretty good shock as it was vachume packed in a roll.    what also supprised me is the roll was about the same size as a 18 - 10" dob tube and it came with two velcro handled to help carry it.   perfect if you need to carry the dob and you cant find any of them handles that were being sold a few months ago!!

possiably a useful buy for any one looking for a new mattrus.  (it is astro related too!!)

bought a new mattrus a few weeks ago from ikea.  and made sure before hand the disco had enough room (checked and it did for a double)

went into ikea and went to pick it up downstairs in the warehouse and had a pretty good shock as it was vachume packed in a roll.    what also supprised me is the roll was about the same size as a 18 - 10" dob tube and it came with two velcro handled to help carry it.   perfect if you need to carry the dob and you cant find any of them handles that were being sold a few months ago!!

Do you mean the Rolson handles ?

I have an old "Rolson Carrying Strap" package that has what appears to be a product number ------>  60106

This may help in searching for them. Priced at about  £2  each, they are a real bargin.

Edit: Here is a photo.

post-21902-0-00170500-1407707766.jpg

What a great night  for observing, best I've seen in a long time. It's hard to believe how clear the Milky Way is from my location. Must be fantastic from Blaenavon. Just wish I'd set a scope up earlier, but am happy with the binocs at the moment. 

Archived