Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all, my name is Paul and I live in Cwmbran, Torfaen. I have been interested in astronomy for over 30 years but recently got serious. I own an Orion optics 8" Schmidt-Newtonian on an LXD55 mount and a Skywatcher ED80 Pro on a HEQ5.

I have been to 3 Astrocamps in Cwmdu and regularly go observing in the Cwmbran area.

I have also been bitten by the imaging bug.

Paulh

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from the bad weather, the burned out bulb in the street light in front of our house just got replaced.   :crybaby2: I asked the guy if he could put a shield on it, and the reply was, not at the moment but I'll make a note of it, as all the lights in the street are going to be replaced soon with the new downward facing ones.

Edit: Better than nothing, but I guess that's about as good as it's going to get.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from a week in west wales where the sky was black and light pollution from nearby towns was a smudge on the horizon.  The towns being Haverfordwest Milford Haven and Wales' smallest city St David's.  Trouble was the skies were black because there was no light shining on the clouds and except for a few occasions the stars looked good but disappeared as soon as any imaging equipment was pointed skywards.  the clouds being driven by winds of 50 to 70mph  :huh:

Despite that I did manage one undriven and unguided shot of the milky way which was half decent.

• 2 weeks later...

This weather is sooooo frustrating! When will it end?? In relation to the west wales post, it can be incredible down there. Went camping near to broad haven this summer and got really lucky withe the clouds and moon!

This weather is sooooo frustrating! When will it end?? In relation to the west wales post, it can be incredible down there. Went camping near to broad haven this summer and got really lucky withe the clouds and moon!

Yeah, it can be frustrating, especially for many who are new to the hobby and have equipment ready, but sitting idle. I've found observing here in the UK to be a hobby of limited opportunity, but when the conditions are cooperative, it makes it all worthwhile.  :smile:  

Hang in there.  :wink:

I was awake at 4 am yesterday and the sky was clear as a bell - slight orange tint granted but better than I've seen it for an age. I have a few spare days over Christmas fingers crossed - still hoping to see Catalina before she disappears from view

Here is my image of the Crab Nebula taken last month at the Kelling Heath Winter Star Fest.

I took this with a SkyWatcher MN190 which Tony (aka Freff) very kindly fitted a new Moonlight focuser a day or so before I went to Norfolk. This was mounted on an EQ8 and taken with a SX M25C CCD camera, It was very windy at the time so I only got 3 usable subs of 10 mins each.

The new focuser makes a big difference when imaging, so a big thanks to Tony.

post-2076-0-07416700-1450610191_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Archived