SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

I have the 36mm Aspheric (It's made by Baader) and as Steve says, it's a fantastic eyepiece. More expensive than the other's you've mentioned but worth every penny in my view. I suppose it depends on what you intend using the eyepiece for though, planets or DSO's? The 36mm probably won't provide the magnification you need to see detail on, let's say, Jupiter. However it does illuminate and frame many DSO's very nicely (particularly in my 11" SCT which has a pretty narrow FOV although I guess that isn't as much of a problem in a Dob).  So really it comes down to 2 things, what you want to look at and what your budget is.

James

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-aspheric.html this one?

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Karl, it's all about managing expectations I think. Eyepieces do make a difference but even the most expensive ones still show most DSO's as fuzzy blobs. The improvements come in the form of better image brightness, pin sharp stars across a wider FOV, less colour distortion etc. For planets it can mean observing finer detail with better colour. The Baader zoom is quite a handy eyepiece, I use mine all the time. Although it's worth noting you'll almost certainly get more from fixed focal length eyepieces. I'll be adding a 10mm or 13mm Baader Hyperion eyepiece to my collection sometime soon I imaging for this very reason. I use my Baader zoom for planets, the moon and also for aligning my scope (it's particularly useful for this). It can also be hooked up to a DSLR for eyepiece projection imaging which I've just started dabbling with. If I'm observing DSO's I use the 36mm Baader Aspheric....there really is no comparison with this compared to my other eyepieces. I remember the first time I looked at the Orion Nebula through it, the image was so bright and I was able to pick out detail I'd never seen before. Galaxies and other Nebula are also more obvious with better contrast.

At the end of the day, even the most expensive eyepieces on the market are only as good as the skies they are being used under. A budget eyepiece under very dark skies may well be able to compete with a premium eyepiece under light polluted city skies!

If it's a wider FOV you're after, get yourself a 2" diagonal and then start adding some 2" eyepieces to your collection. You're more then welcome to try out my Baader Zoom or the 36mm Aspheric at the next meet in Blaenavon..... assuming the weather is on our side next time :grin:

James

Yep those are the ones, you'll find loads of good reviews on the forum about them. As I said in my previous post to Karl though, it's all about managing expectations before you part with your hard earned cash.

Definite improvement on the stock eyepieces that tend to come with most scopes however.

James

Yep those are the ones, you'll find loads of good reviews on the forum about them. As I said in my previous post to Karl though, it's all about managing expectations before you part with your hard earned cash.

Definite improvement on the stock eyepieces that tend to come with most scopes however.

James

I am really looking forward to getting some better eyepieces, you mentioned the Orion Nebula, I did manage quite decent (to my expectations, which are limited as I have not had the scope long, nor have I had that many clear nights to observe or any other eyepieces or bigger scopes to compare it to) views, I could clearly see the Trapezium and Theta 2, the shape of the Orion Nebula was just as expected and I was quite amazed. The only bad bit is trying to view Mars, that was blurry but Jupiter and Saturn were brilliant (for me) I am in a fairly dark location, which must help a lot. So the first eyepiece I buy is hopefully going to be exciting, but I stlll want to just buy one at a time till I know what is what, sort of speak.

Thanks James, very useful post. I like the idea of sharpness as I am presently really enjoying looking at stars. I did think of the zoom ep for aligning as I seem to be endlessly swapping between ep's for this! From what I have learnt so far it seems to be a case of not expecting to be able to do everything but make the best out of everything you do have, which makes it even more difficult to choose. Perhaps I will hold off until the weather decides to be more conducive to astronomy before I waste money

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I am really looking forward to getting some better eyepieces, you mentioned the Orion Nebula, I did manage quite decent (to my expectations, which are limited as I have not had the scope long, nor have I had that many clear nights to observe or any other eyepieces or bigger scopes to compare it to) views, I could clearly see the Trapezium and Theta 2, the shape of the Orion Nebula was just as expected and I was quite amazed. The only bad bit is trying to view Mars, that was blurry but Jupiter and Saturn were brilliant (for me) I am in a fairly dark location, which must help a lot. So the first eyepiece I buy is hopefully going to be exciting, but I stlll want to just buy one at a time till I know what is what, sort of speak.

It would be good Sandra if some time you could attend one of the meets at Blaenavon then you could try a few of the lens we have and see what you think theres nothing like first hand experience before you buy (says he who spent hundreds on spec without seeing one before buying lol)

i would like to thank lenny when he popped up yesterday for lending me his hammer and punch tool!   the old girl (my camper) decided she wanted to be a real pain and not wind up, get stuck and underneath her hammering the pin out!    thanks lenny! :)      

deff reccoment trying out eyepeices sandra!  iv got a vew vixen npl's   their alright a nice small jump from basic lens but i need to get some decent ones!   i wonder what it would be like in the megrez if i had a 2" diagonal???? mmm 

Many thanks for the Bread Pudding Lenny, I finished the last piece off today with a cuppa when I got home.

It was good to see you on Saturday, shame you could not stay longer.

I am having a clear out of my shed

Going to bung this in here because I would rather somebody get the benefit from this rather than it going to the skip.

If any one in SWG has a child interested in Golf I have a complete set of Clubs, Bag, Trolley and Balls to give away.

Not asking for any money, but would rather see somebody get the uses of these than dump them

SMS me if you want them

Pat

I just landed across the pond, and it's cloudy here in California. Hope I brought the weather with me

to give my fellow observers South Wales some relief.  Will  check back in after the jet lag passes. 

Last night was great for observing, despite the Moon. I saw surface detail on Mars (for the first time with my scope) and I think I may have captured some of Jupiter's banding in Sharpcap2! Hope it's clear again tonight!  

Its looking good for the next 2 nighhts at least Ant you should be in luck 

How long you gone for mike, between you and steve I'm feeling very envious of you both

Hi Peter,

Have some maintenance and grooming to do as we are planning to put our place on the market. 

Will be here for a few weeks.   

We had a couple of friends over last night and watched the Lunar eclipse. Clouds everywhere "except"

where the total eclipse took place; it was awesome, wish everyone could have been here. Hope my

photos come out, but won't know until I return to Wales as my computer won't work over here.

I'm using the Library computer and onlu have limited time allotted per day.

Will check back in soon.

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

Have some maintenance and grooming to do as we are planning to put our place on the market. 

Will be here for a few weeks.   

We had a couple of friends over last night and watched the Lunar eclipse. Clouds everywhere "except"

where the total eclipse took place; it was awesome, wish everyone could have been here. Hope my

photos come out, but won't know until I return to Wales as my computer won't work over here.

I'm using the Library computer and onlu have limited time allotted per day.

Will check back in soon.

Cheers Peter

Hi Mike, very odd how that happens. I remember being down in Cornwall for the Solar eclipse in 1999. It was pretty much thick cloud as far as the eye could see and then, 5 minutes before totality, the clouds opened up precisely in the part of sky the Sun was situated. The patch of clear sky continued until a minute or so after the Sun had started to reappear then the clouds closed up again. Fantastic sight but it was also quite eerie how it happened. May be there's a natural explanation, I'm not sure?

James

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I'm still across the pond. Nothing exciting to report Astronomy wise, but  I do have a

couple of families seriously interested in purchasing my property here; fingers crossed.

Hope all is well with everyone back in the UK.    :smiley:

Cheers

Thanks for thinking of us Mike.

Nothing exciting from me regarding astro other than I'm  about to paint the observatory. :eek:

Good luck with the sale of your property.   

See you when you get back.

Take care Mike nice to hear from you.weather is rubbish over here at the moment but I'm told we're in line for two weeks of sunshine shortly right in time for the Saturn opposition so fingers crossed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Archived