SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

Thanks, thats all very helpful, bit more confident now about leaving it for a bit, little things like this you don't really think of before you actually get one. Prop have loads of questions as I come across them  :smiley:

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always cover our scope if leaving it unattended, usually with a Bar-B-Que cover, or with a plastic bag while cooling to ambient temperature,  but never leave it outside in questionable weather.  

Just something to be aware of with regards to safety..... It's always a good idea to point your scope down or cover the optics during the daytime, so that sunlight can not enter the scope and act as a magnifying glass, possibly causing a fire.  I have not experienced this, but have read about instances where damage has occured, including a story about a scope igniting the inside of a parked vehicle. 

Moving a large scope in and out can be tedious, but well worth the effort when the skies are clear.   :smiley:

We picked up a chiminea cover from Wilkies yesterday for it, fits it quite well, I was thinking of just leaving the Dob base out for a few hours covered and then when it was nearer the time taking the tube out and fitting it on the base and recover before viewing, then when finished, bring the tube in and base separate as its easier for me to carry, for some reason or other, whoever made this bungalow made it with quite a narrow back door, and I have to kind of shuffle sideways if carrying it as one being careful not to trip on the step. 

Taking it out in two parts is a lot easier.

Hi Russ,

To answer your question, I bring either a small Refractor or Maksutov to the Observing meets.

Each is easy to set up and take down with a minimum of fuss.  

Edit: I got back into this hobby for fun, not to work hard, lol.  :grin:

I don't think I'll be able to make the 29th - wife's B'day on the 25th- we're going out to a show and dinner this weekend, midweek and apparantly next Saturday aswel - I had to look twice this morning to make sure I wasn't married to the queen. Hopefully I'll be good for one last hurrah before scope in cupboard night arrives.

Just watched the movie " World War Z " staring Brad Pit 

A few scenes in South Wales are featured, and Cardiff Airport mentioned in part of the film.   :smile:

Nice to be noted for something other than that no class rubbish tele.....  the valleys.  :embarassed:

haha the whole cinema cheered when I saw that down the bay! Funny moment to say the least :D 

I remember the same thing happening, with the whole cinema cheering wildly during the opening scene of the movie "Mask", which was back in the early 1980s. The opening scene was a helicopter view of the Eagle Rock Plaza, where we were all watching the movie, lol.  :biggrin:

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr cold out, excellent night.

Got the PHD working, got Artemis Capture working, focused with the new mask. got the Atik working, Got some pics of M44.

and M65. only downside was just as I was about to start a Capture series the Laptop battery went dead. So had to rush in and get the Extension lead out.

Did everything I want to do.

Pat

Archived