Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Neil,

Sorry about the late reply, nothing planned.  There is a militaria collectors fayre at the Brecon indoor market hall today. I've occasionally found Astro related items there; especially leather bound vintage books.  For anyone interested, hours are 10:00 am > 2:00 pm, and parking is close by at Morrisons.

Back now, but boy it was cloudy...

My dad tried to give me a Power 7 Telescope Sighting for High Angle Anti-Aircraft Gun.

About 20" long, a third of which was dewshield, all gunmetal and brass and weighing about 20lbs! I managed to get the EP to turn, it has a 45 degree erecting prism the size of a block of butter. Will investigate further in future.

Nothing Astronomical at the Brecon fayre today, so we didn't stay long. Drove over to Abergavenny where my Wife spotted a Zeiss Jena 10 x 50 binocular on one of the tables in the market hall. My heart nearly jumped up into my throat when I found the price was just fifty pounds.  The views through them were great, however, when I looked through the objective ends I noticed a large clamshell right in the middle of the left objective. The owner sighed and said I could have them for thirty quid if I wanted; sadly I declined.

Hello Pat,

The only thing I find disappointing  nowadays is the weather, and the ridiculous excuses the Planning department comes up with to insult my intelligence.  As for the one eye view, well, I  have a contingency for that.

PICT0001(Medium).JPG

1 minute ago, L8-Nite said:

Hello Pat,

The only thing I find disappointing  nowadays is the weather, and the ridiculous excuses the Planning department comes up with to insult my intelligence.  As for the one eye view, well, I  have a contingency for that.

PICT0001(Medium).JPG

50% off...

Hi stuy. A few of us are hopefully going to Fforest Fields campsite in October about the 9th.

Nothing organised for it,  just a turn up. You are more than welcome, just let us know on here in case anything changes.

Hi Stuy,

I've come to the conclusion that with the weather being the way it is here in the UK, planning is rather pointless. An observing meet based on short notice is more realistic for any success, however, most Observers find it difficult to attend on short notice unless it falls on a non working weekend.  Many times others and I have traveled to our Blaenavon site and have been clouded out when the consensus of the weather predictions claimed good conditions. It has been a disappointment and unnecessary expense which I'm sure has affected repeat attendance.

As Fref has mentioned, an informal get together at Forrest Fields is something to think about.  My Wife have it penciled it in on our calendar and look forward to a few days away, with no expectations for observing, but we will bring a telescope; hope to see some familiar faces there, and perhaps meet some other Observers too.

Thanks Tony - I'd like to say I will join you there to rekick my astronomy career this year but I suspect my daughter will be moving from my house in October so it'll be all hands to the pump for a while but a return is on the horizon at last

cheers

Steve

On 23/08/2018 at 20:22, Freff said:

There is the our star party at Pencelli in the spring Steve.

It would great to see you there.

I think after my Hiatus I need to start again with small steps Tony - I need you and Mike to show me which end of the tube to use again :0)

29 minutes ago, stevetynant said:

I think after my Hiatus I need to start again with small steps Tony - I need you and Mike to show me which end of the tube to use again :0)

There's a tube ?  What tube ?  :icon_scratch:

Archived