Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

garethmob

The South Wales Lounge

Can someone remind me which end of the scope you look through please

• Like 1

The left end, right  ?

I bet the colony of spiders is well established by now Lol

I bet the colony of spiders is well established by now Lol

Spiders!! Well that's easier than a small slug which found its way into my 200p.  Probably when I set it down after a few hours observing recently as I was putting stuff away.  I'll have to wash the mirror again sometime. 

Has anyone heard from Gareth (garethmob) lately. I have not seen him on the forum for a while.

Has anyone heard from Gareth (garethmob) lately. I have not seen him on the forum for a while.

Clicked on his avatar and it looks like he was recently on the forum.  

Drat, my computer just crashed. Lucky we still have the ancient notebook to fall back on.  Yesterday we poured concrete onto the last of our retaining wall footings. Now that I'm one jump ahead of the rain, I can relax and enjoy some leisure time in getting reacquainted with some of my observing kit ; hopefully it will get a lot more use this season.  :smile:

• Like 2

Just had street light post changed outside the house complete with white LED's. If that's not bad enough,  the silly ( enter your own expletives) cut through my broadband cable. 

I can't get it fixed until the 24th August when new cables have to be pulled, so apologise if I have not been able to, or late replying to PM's.

My phones data allowance is only 3.5g so I'm limited with that..

Heaven't heard from Gaz for some time- is he signed up for the star party in Brecon this year - surely hear from him shortly if thats the case

Hi Steve, I haven't heard from him for some time. I have had my internet down for 3 weeks (cable been cut through by city lighting) so I have only had limited access through my phone. I was reconnected yesterday and I'm trying to catch up and reply to PM's and emails. Gareth was sent a reminder last week when I had access to a computer, but I have yet to hear from him.  

I have reserved his pitch for him that is why he's on the list I posted, but he has not confirmed.

By the way, are you coming to the star party Steve, I don't have you on the list.

I didn't sign up this year Tony - things very dicey in work though it turns out should be ok until Christmas so I'm intending to come but it might be an overnighter in the field next to the main group or just an overnight visit - lots of changes for me this year but hopefully things will get back on track soon enough - going to treat this year like starting again - Messier Nil so to speak lol.

Just dropped Gaz a text - hopefully he'll be in touch - will be glad to catch up with you guys again this year.

Arrived at Llangybi on the Lleyn peninsular today for a 7 night chillax stay in a luxury secluded house. 

Went out at 9pm to see if there was some clear patches of sky and to my surprise there was not a cloud to be seen.

The sky was amass with stars and the Milky Way was unmistakeable. Although it was not the best seeing night, I was bowled over by the views.

Trying to get my bearing by the normal sky guides was almost impossible losing them in the depth of the stars. I'm hoping it will stay clear for a few nights at least and I can get some serious observing in.

Right...where's camera.

• Like 3

Sounds like your gonna be lucky with the weather this week as well Tony you lucky devil

Last night was clouded over so and evening in with my beloved. :rolleyes:

It's a beautiful sunny day here now, hopefully clear skies tonight.

Still can't get over Saturday night. Even when I went to bed, at the top of the stairs on the landing was a Velux window.

I spent 20 minutes looking out with my binos before turning in. If I win the lottery I'm buying this place. :grin:

Hi Tony, sounds like a great location, photos please if you can !  :smiley:

Happy day, or should I say night; the street light outside our house just burned out.   :smile:  

Now if only the clouds would go away.

Skies are absolutely stunning in my neck of the woods, first time in a long long time.  :icon_biggrin:  

• Like 1

Well, I haven't been here on the forum in a good long while and I wanted to drop by, say hi and let you know I haven't given up the hobby yet.

I haven't made a Blaenavon meeting in donkeys years, my dad's job hasn't made that easy. School has also had me fairly preoccupied. The science department recently put my eclipse pictures on display, which is nice since my chemistry teacher let me skip first lesson to take the pictures. I'm currently working to get into an Environmental Earth Science uni course (basically Geology, another one of my interests).

So, long time no see! Maybe one of these days I can make my way up to see you guys.

• Like 2

Hope some of the SWG group are watching the eclipse ?

The skies are 99% clear in my neck of the woods.

Think I'll go over to the ancient Henge near by and see if any of the stones happen to align with this event.

Yep......I'm still up.

I'm hoping for something mythological to happen, or at least the missus brings me out a hot chocolate.

Take care at the stones Mike. 

• Like 1

Hi Tony, 

I got lucky, was able to observe until totality, and yes, the eclipse lined up with two monoliths. 

Awesome experience once again, but the red didn't seem so red this time. I hate to say it, but I NEED a good camera. Here is the only picture which came out through the eyepiece. Will post a photo of the local Henge later today. Got to get some sleep, have a block mason crew starting early.

Cheers.

Edit: Photo

post-21902-0-66886400-1443408655.jpg

Edited by L8-Nite
  • Like 2

Nice one Mike- I was up at 2am and 4 am and luckily the moon was up right in front of our bedroom - lovely sight though now I wish it would just go away as we have all these beautiful clear nights. Fingers crossed it holds out for a few more weeks