Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good call Mike- knowing how the weather has been lately - really unlucky on Saturday just one day out - short term calls are the way forward. Not sure If I will make it - would like to - the scope will probably be packed away shortly but this first week when the clocks go on kill me getting up at 6am every morning so I can't commit at the moment but will keep my eyes on the forecast and let you know how things are before the weekend.

I agree Steve, short notice, or week in advance observing meets seem to be the way forward; however, Friday or Saturday nights are a must, as not everyone is retired like some of us. I'm also thinking that it would be good to make the monthly meet a floating Friday "or" Saturday event, as this would give us more of an opportunity based on the short forecast. 

Edit:  Any suggestions from the group and SGL members would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I agree Steve, short notice, or week in advance observing meets seem to be the way forward; however, Friday or Saturday nights are a must, as not everyone is retired like some of us. I'm also thinking that it would be good to make the monthly meet a floating Friday "or" Saturday event, as this would give us more of an opportunity based on the short forecast.

Edit: Any suggestions from the group and SGL members would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I've only ever made it to one of these meets and that was about 10 months ago. I've tried half a dozen or so time but its either too windy, too wet, too cloudy or the missus has made plans for us. I think anything that can be done to improve the frequency of the sessions is worth trying. A floating Friday or Saturday could work well. Then whichever day has the best forecast gets it and we will more than likely have a fair idea towards the end of the week. Personally I don't mind meeting up even when the moon is out providing its not too far into its cycle. Observing in a group can be fun even without totally dark skies. On that note id be happy meeting up through the summer months if others were up for it...

Really hope we get some luck this Friday.

James

Thats a good call James - I have to admit I find the summer months pretty frustrating if the truth be told - so I'm a two season observer I find that worked pretty well as your enthusiasm peaks again at the end of the summer and gives me something to look forward to in the Autumn/ Winter athough I always keep in touch on the forum and occasionally make it to Blaenavon just to have  a chat and keep in touch.

I've only ever made it to one of these meets and that was about 10 months ago. I've tried half a dozen or so time but its either too windy, too wet, too cloudy or the missus has made plans for us. I think anything that can be done to improve the frequency of the sessions is worth trying. A floating Friday or Saturday could work well. Then whichever day has the best forecast gets it and we will more than likely have a fair idea towards the end of the week. Personally I don't mind meeting up even when the moon is out providing its not too far into its cycle. Observing in a group can be fun even without totally dark skies. On that note id be happy meeting up through the summer months if others were up for it...

Really hope we get some luck this Friday.

James

James - just a thought how about signing up for our star party in October- loads of friendly faces and really good skies- you don't need to sign up for the whole week in fact last year I only turned up on the Saturday morning but had a great time- I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

I don't disagree Steve. Only thing for me is that, other than a few memorable nights, the winter has been pretty dissapointing as well. Whenever I have tried to make it to one of the meets I've been just as much looking forward to 'the event' as I have to the dark sky observing. I think ill most likely use the summer months to practice with some new bits of imaging kit I pick up with a view to hopefully perfecting some techniques by the time the dark and clear (hopefully) winter nights come back around.

James - just a thought how about signing up for our star party in October- loads of friendly faces and really good skies- you don't need to sign up for the whole week in fact last year I only turned up on the Saturday morning but had a great time- I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

To be honest Steve I very nearly called up to book 2 nights after reading the thread last week. I've already had a good look at the campsite and google mapped it! :grin: I'll look into it again this week. I'd like to bring my better half for at least 1 night but we'd need to secure an overnight baby sitter in advance if we both came.....not sure our 2 year old and a 6 year old girls would settle in a tent during the sunny month of October! :crybaby2:

Hello mike!

im here missed one day as i was playing with my new car and lost track of time,   weathers cloudy but just had a good lesson on collimating! and the hogroast is about to start woooo!!! haha

I have been thinking the exact same thing!! I have considered the effect a new purchase will have on the weather, but it has been pretty dismal since I bought the scope so what the hell!! I have a street light right outside the house which is a nightmare so have looked at lp filters... do o-iii filters do a similar thing with the light solution and make the nebula look better? I'm torn between what to get

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

lol just obviously if you do do it, make sure the angle of the shot dosent come from your house:P

oiii are really good for certain nebulas like the veil etc but it can be a little too much for simple ones like the orion neb,  theres another filter (whoes name excapes me right now while im in my camper on a lovly cloudy night at SGL9 in lucksall) which isnt AS harsh as an oiii but again their for specific purposes.   the best bet really is to see if the lights actually getting into your house and if so is encroaching on your privacy the councils usually put a sheild up,   but make sure its worth it,   i know a few people make a makeshift light blocker with poles and black cloth. which part of the sky is the light in?

Hello mike!

im here .....................  the hogroast is about to start woooo!!! haha

Mmmm   :icon_porc:,  yummm !!!

Now what shall I spend my winnings on :icon_rabbit:

Sounds like you're horse came in, good one Pat.   :smile:

A dark sky holiday in Sark would be nice. 

....................I have a street light right outside the house which is a nightmare so have looked at lp filters... do o-iii filters do a similar thing with the light solution and make the nebula look better? I'm torn between what to get

We have a street light directly in front of of our present house, the back isn't much better as the neighbours seem to be afraid of the dark.  :dontknow:   

I understand Baader makes a " Moon & Sky Glow " filter which cuts out the effect of most street lighting, but I haven't used one.

I haven't had a chance to see owt for about 8 days or so  :huh: its been raining or cloudy, still have my new Telrad sat on the table wondering where to stick it on the scope. Flicking between sites trying to decide if I should buy a BST or X Cel lx as one of my first tidy eyepieces  :rolleyes: and what mm to go for first.

I was gonna take a spin to Hereford yesterday but decided against it as it was such a horrible day so stayed at home and made a huge chicken curry instead.

Strongly suggest you get a wixey Sandra.

Just point the dob in the general area of what you want to see. Set the Dec with the Wixey and then just move the Dob in RA until the subject comes into view.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wixey-Digital-Angle-Gauge-magnetic/dp/B00CEXR8ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396768634&sr=8-1&keywords=wixey+digital+angle+gauge

You can properly get them cheaper than this but it gives you an idea of what it is.

Next step after that is to make a Setting circle to fit to the base of the dob. Worked for me when I had a Dob.

Pat

What eye pieces have you got already Sandra?

I know when I first started the icnlination was to go for magnification and high powered eyepieces - but in retrospect the eye piece I use more than any other is a wide vfield eyepiece which is a 31 mm Aspheric - its a bit dearer than the two you have mentioned but still worth it in my opinion. I have both BSTs and Xcels . They are both nice eye pieces but the BSTs are about half the price from what I remember so represent pretty good value really.

Like Pat says aswel a Wixey about £30 and a stting circlewhich you can make yourself for a couple of quid together with a mobile phone app will give you go to or push to at least and is a great aid when your first starting to get you into the right areas - theres plenty of advice on this on the threads in the  forum if you have a little bit of patience and minimal DIY skills  - neither of which I have in abundance but still managed a reasonable enough job.

Good luck with your decisions

Have been following the weather, doesn't look good for the star party in Hereford.

Anyone from the South Wales group attending ?

Hi Mike, there is a few of us here. Dave, Gareth, Tich and myself.

Lenny popped in on Saturday to see us, and brought me a piece of his wife's lovely bread pudding. Thanks Lenny.

Weather has been dreadful as far as astronomy goes, but the social side has been fantastic.

I'm ready now for SW3.

Strongly suggest you get a wixey Sandra.

Just point the dob in the general area of what you want to see. Set the Dec with the Wixey and then just move the Dob in RA until the subject comes into view.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wixey-Digital-Angle-Gauge-magnetic/dp/B00CEXR8ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396768634&sr=8-1&keywords=wixey+digital+angle+gauge

You can properly get them cheaper than this but it gives you an idea of what it is.

Next step after that is to make a Setting circle to fit to the base of the dob. Worked for me when I had a Dob.

Pat

Bit over my head at the moment, will have to get reading up on it all and understand it a bit to get a hang of things. Sounds interesting though, so thanks for the heads up on it. :smiley: I am sure I have heard it mentioned somewhere before as the term 'Wixey' rings a bell.

What eye pieces have you got already Sandra?

I know when I first started the icnlination was to go for magnification and high powered eyepieces - but in retrospect the eye piece I use more than any other is a wide vfield eyepiece which is a 31 mm Aspheric - its a bit dearer than the two you have mentioned but still worth it in my opinion. I have both BSTs and Xcels . They are both nice eye pieces but the BSTs are about half the price from what I remember so represent pretty good value really.

Like Pat says aswel a Wixey about £30 and a stting circlewhich you can make yourself for a couple of quid together with a mobile phone app will give you go to or push to at least and is a great aid when your first starting to get you into the right areas - theres plenty of advice on this on the threads in the  forum if you have a little bit of patience and minimal DIY skills  - neither of which I have in abundance but still managed a reasonable enough job.

Good luck with your decisions

I have nothing decent yet, thought I would buy one (if I ever make my mind up which) see how I liked it and slowly build a little collection over time.  The Aspheric is one I haven't heard of at all, I just see lots of people recommending the BST and X cel lx a lot. 

Regarding the Sitting circle, once I get my head around it, I will get my husband onto it  :smiley: he loves doing his odd jobs and DIY so will be more than happy to do it. Just need to get googling and educate myself.

I have nothing decent yet, thought I would buy one (if I ever make my mind up which) see how I liked it and slowly build a little collection over time.  The Aspheric is one I haven't heard of at all, I just see lots of people recommending the BST and X cel lx a lot. 

Regarding the Sitting circle, once I get my head around it, I will get my husband onto it  :smiley: he loves doing his odd jobs and DIY so will be more than happy to do it. Just need to get googling and educate myself.

I have the 36mm Aspheric (It's made by Baader) and as Steve says, it's a fantastic eyepiece. More expensive than the other's you've mentioned but worth every penny in my view. I suppose it depends on what you intend using the eyepiece for though, planets or DSO's? The 36mm probably won't provide the magnification you need to see detail on, let's say, Jupiter. However it does illuminate and frame many DSO's very nicely (particularly in my 11" SCT which has a pretty narrow FOV although I guess that isn't as much of a problem in a Dob).  So really it comes down to 2 things, what you want to look at and what your budget is.

James

On the subject of eyepieces, do they make a huge difference? I can see the benefit of a larger fov eyepiece with my 8" sct but what about for general dso viewing? I have bbq looking at 25mm televue but that said the standard 25mm plossl that came with scope is more than adequate at the moment? I'm sure I have read that higher focal length really means that eyepiece makes little difference? I have considered a baader zoom also but not if there is little gain to be had for the expense?

Archived