NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vote: Which is your favourite Eyepiece Focal length - and why?

F15Rules

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave, I have to give my vote for the 24mm Panoptic, I have been blown away with the view of the Moon using it with my 925, widest field with the 1.25 format, small size, high build quality from Televue. It is a winner in all aspects.

8.8mm UWA is what I seem to spend most time looking through. Either, small faint galaxies, globular clusters, planetary nebulae, lunar craters or small but sharp planetary views.

Another vote for the 13mm Ethos here, closely followed by the 6mm. I've had quite a few nights when these are the only EP's to come out of my box and a few where the 13mm was all I used.

Another vote for the 13mm focal length here ;) My nagler of this length just shows so much of the moon with it all in view, then added to that is is superb on DSOs. Closely followed by my 24mm Panoptic which just seems to outperform even the best 32mm 1.25" EPs. Then a 6mm BGO for when the seeing is perfect, which I might add is just once since the whole time I have owned it :D

of course the answer to this depends on what you are observing and my answer really is 'the one that gives the best view of the object I am looking at' ;)

generally I'm also a 13mm man myself. in my case also the 13mm Ethos. The 9mm Baader Genuine Ortho is close behind as most used eyepiece especially on planets and doubles etc from home. talk about chalk and cheese!

Another vote for 13mm ethos. Gives high power views in the mak when the seeing is very good and for lunar observing.

Often when I am using the mak, the first ep I use is the 28mm UWAN. Gives 142x mag which is often enough and a reasonable fov (not that you ever get very much with the mak :-) ). Contrast is not as good as the ethos though.

Have yet to have a good try with the 17t4 and 22t4 I've just acquired :-)

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

So far it looks as though 13mm is the leader...and so many Ethos' out there:eek:...what do you guys do, add them to the mortgage??;)

Andy, I'm intrigued by your Tal 2"...95 degree FOV?? Haven't come across that before, are they still available?

cheers

Dave

Andy, I'm intrigued by your Tal 2"...95 degree FOV?? Haven't come across that before, are they still available?

cheers

Dave

It's, as usual by Tal, grossly under rated, spec wise. They class it as 80 degrees. I measured mine as 95, others as between 90-93. I still need to a star timing test to confirm my mechanical calculations.

They are still available, as far as I'm aware.

Andy.

My 13mm Baader Hyperion.

But I've only got three eyepieces to choose from ;)

My only (tiny) gripe is the fact that it's such a big eyepiece you have to stand it off very slightly in the holder to allow you to tighten the thumb screws.

I hope to increase my collection soon but will wait until the "season" kicks off again properly.

Hopefully someone will run this poll again ?

Cheers

Neil

Depends on the scope really. My favourite focal lengths were 24mm and 10mm (determined in considerable part by the eyepiece) but as I've spent less time with my 10" newt and more with 4" refractors and a Skymax 180 my preference is sliding towards 32mm...

James

• 1 month later...

I'm with the 32mm Panaview, great for looking around starfields even in LP areas like mine, 1 mile from town centre, but have just acquired a 13mm LVW for £99 I'm looking forward to joining the 13mm club, I have heard many good things about the Vixen EP's of this quality

Archived