SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL6 - Chat Thread

Helen

Hey Nick...it's good to have a dry run. it;s taken me a few years of fiddling to get anything half decent out and it's only really at star camps I can get hands on advice.

really the best part of it is exchanging beer for knowledge...maybe schools should work like that? What says lulu?

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really should make a to do/take list ...

One year my mate forgot the telescope tripod - disaster!

There is so much to remember to bring, I really would write a list. My 'Things to take to star parties' list is on the computer so that I don't lose it.

One forgotten power lead and one forgotten tent pole and the whole Star Party can be a wash out.

One year my mate forgot the telescope tripod - disaster!

There is so much to remember to bring, I really would write a list. My 'Things to take to star parties' list is on the computer so that I don't lose it.

One forgotten power lead and one forgotten tent pole and the whole Star Party can be a wash out.

I would be devastated if I forgot my tripod. I own such a small amount of gear that if I forgot any I should automatically be banned from the hobby forevermore.

I usually leave the list making for camping trips to wifey, things like pants.....socks.....all those sensible things blokes would somehow manage to get by without, my worries usually revolve around "is that really enough beer" and "i'm sure we're going to need more food for the BBQ"!!!

I've been stricken with continuous irritable bowel syndrome, or summat, so will have to push myself to go now. If the weather looks fine I'll attempt to get there, though if I still feel this ill I won't be able to do the drive. If it looks overcast I'll have to give it a miss. :D:p I so look farward to being there, but I don't think this illness is going to go away soon.

There are other star parties I could look forward to. I haven't been able to get out my telescope for monhs now.:(

Alexxx

Yep, they have corrected the dates and put clouds up instead!

Rats!!!

Chris

On the upside, won't need to bring much. Just a tent, sleeping bag and pillow now. No astro gear needed. :D That'll make packing easier next week.

On the upside, won't need to bring much. Just a tent, sleeping bag and pillow now. No astro gear needed. :D That'll make packing easier next week.

Don't you dare do that again!

I still remember last time!!!

Ant

I remember the first time I went camping, without my mum packing things, with college when I was 17.....Land's End at Easter.....I forgot my sleeping bag......needless to say, I learned my lesson :D

Hi all

I have booked and paid for Thursday and Friday and cannot now make the Friday.

Although any offers of jaffa cakes, biscuits, beer or even unwanted cheapo gear to give to my neighbour's young son will be more than welcome in exchange, I am offering this to the first person who wants it for free; better it's used by someone than not.

So if you know anyone that wants my pitch and evening meal (a curry of some kind) from Friday PM and overnight then please do send me a PM. I'll then liase with Helen or the organisers to let them know the arrangements.

cheers and see you there at least on Thursday!

Don't you dare do that again!

I still remember last time!!!

Ant

I only need my MkI eyeball, i spend most of my time chatting anyway. And hoping leaving all the kit behind will help with the ever worsening forecast.

Does anyone have any idea what size the pitches are going to be(roughly).

The pitch I've had the last couple of years must have been about 8m x 8m or so (6m wide tent had about 1m either side) with the hook up at the rear. Not sure if all the pitches are the same, they won't be far off when compring on the rally field.

Steve

The pitch I've had the last couple of years must have been about 8m x 8m or so (6m wide tent had about 1m either side) with the hook up at the rear. Not sure if all the pitches are the same, they won't be far off when compring on the rally field.

Steve

so a 15ft by 28ft tent is going to be tight

Here's a quick pic from last year. You can sort of see how big the pitches are. They were all marked out with creosote lines. I am pretty sure they were all the same size.

There were a few biggish tents abouts.

post-18573-133877553043_thumb.jpg

my car will take up more room than my tent lol Looking at the weather forecast I think a few books to read will be added to the shopping list

My car will take up much more room than my tent... and my car's only a fiesta!

I'm very pleased with the toilet tent I've bought to cover my dob however.

Andrew

Archived