SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL6 - Chat Thread

Helen

Traditional or Wikkian? I believe they've got green witches to burn in Kielder this year :) (before anyone gets annoyed - I have spent time following the traditional path as research for a book)

I will be bringing approximately 50L of beer.. 40 homebrew and 9 summer lightning party keg (for the BBQ). Both are live beers (ie the yeast is not filtered out). I will also be raiding the local homebrew shop for some traditional brews (pine for example which is stunning) by the Heather Brewery in Scotland.

I am partial to both Jaffa cakes and wagon wheels (memories of student days on these!).

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any other climbers coming to SGL6? I haven't done much this last year since my Achilles injury but Symonds Yat is a nice crag and is just down the road. I fancy pootling up a few VDiffs if anyone is up for it on Saturday afternoon (weather allowing).

Andrew

Ooh that sounds tempting Andrew!

I might dig out my boots and harness...I unfortunately retired my rope some time back but the harness should be okay a it was fairly new...not promising I'll be up though if we get some good sessions in on Thursday and Friday nights!

I've got ropes and loads of gear so if you've got a harness, that'll be cool.

I'm not promising I'll be up for it either but I'll chuck the stuff in the car just in case.

Andrew

Even though V Diffs should not pose too much difficulty, I won't be rising to the bait Steve.

Bring a harness!
A harness - couldn't afford one of them when I was a lad. :hello2: All I used was a bowline on the end of the rope - either round my waist or attached by karabiner to twenty foot of hemp wound round my waist (would only go round onece now).

No, you young fit adventurous types go off and enjoy yourselves. I'll just amble round and chat to the ladies.

Mike

Used to teach mountainering/climbing/abseiling/canoeing/orienteering many year ago.

Still have some new and unused climbing kit which I will bring along with me which includes a harness. But you won't catch me doing anything other than walking these days! Far too rusty and busy with other hobbies to get back into climbing.

Thing I enjoyed the most was taking troublesome children to climbs in South Wales. Explaining to them about abseiling in the afternoon after climbing in the morning. I made them aware that at 17:00 we finished as I needed to go home. They all said NOOOO to the abseiling and if I wanted to go home early they would be OK with it. Every time with a new group I could not get them off the abseiling as they loved it so much!

Was a very rewarding pasttime. I worked with the social services doing voluntary work and RAF personnel including their children. Great fun.

Best regards

Chris

BBC weather, monthly outlook

Monday 28 March 2011 to Sunday 3 April 2011

High pressure declines

With little to stop the progression of weather fronts from the Atlantic, the weather across all parts of the British Isles will have a less settled look to it. As a consequence, sunshine amounts will only be around average, with sub- par totals probable for southern Wales and southwest England.

Rainfall amounts will fluctuate between close to the norm in southern parts of Britain to above average in both western Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Daytime temperatures will be unremarkable but increased cloud amounts and the advance of the season should help to reduce the possibility of night frosts.

Hmm cloud.. wet.. cold..

Hi Folks,

Hope Metcheck is wrong, they are forecasting strong winds from Thursday onwards with partial cloudy skies and something called snow showers!!!!

It may be useful to pack a snow shovel.

No need to pack a portal freezer!!

I have not used my big tent in snow, this could be an unwanted opportunity, I will bring my Quasar mountain tent just in case the weather turns nasty.

Cheers

Adrian

PS ....will now look on the internet for a more favourable forecast.....

Ah, the pre star party jitters about the weather.. happens every time! Considering that they cant get the weather correct for today or tonight, I`d not put too much trust in them being right about the accuracy of the weather forecast for 9-10 days from now.

A harness - couldn't afford one of them when I was a lad. :hello2: All I used was a bowline on the end of the rope - either round my waist or attached by karabiner to twenty foot of hemp wound round my waist (would only go round onece now).

Mike

Gordon bennet Mike, that brings back some memories. I did 2 years desert mountain rescue in the middle east and a couple of years mountain rescue in wales. We had our own hemp rope and moleskin trousers, took me awhile to figure they wernt real moleskins :hello2:

Id need a winch now what with these knackered knees.

Latest long range synoptic charts show high pressure over the UK for the next week to 10 days. This is then forecast to decline allowing a depression with wind and rain through on the Wednesday before the main star party weekend. After this winds turn NWly bringing cooler clearer showery conditions. This most likely will be followed by a few weeks of unsettled weather.

So its pretty unclear at this stage for the weekend but indications are we will have a mixed back of weather with some rain, showers and clear slots...

I will keep an eye on it.

Mark Stuart

www.bristolweather.org.uk

So its pretty unclear at this stage for the weekend but indications are we will have a mixed back of weather with some rain, showers and clear slots...

No!!! - 1st time camping and I don't want rain !

Archived