SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL6 - Chat Thread

Helen

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I was gona knock up a quick dob base for the 250 but I wont bother now.

Looks like the ST80 will get an outing instead :)

Yes - I'm thinking more along the lines of "grab and go" rather than light bucket now :D

Still, if the clouds do clear for a bit it's amazing what even a small scope can do under dark skies :)

As a weather person for the last 20 years I can confirm spells of wet and windy weather UNTIL Friday when I am arriving.

I will bring with me a mild flow of air up from the Azores. Sunny spells for the prominences and clear spells for the cassini division and more importantly no rain after Friday morning through until I leave on Sunday!

See if I am better than metcheck or the met office!

Mark S from Bristol

Hi Mark,

I have decided that this is the forecast I am going with :D

Regards

Chris

Hi,

Looking at the EA Flood area maps I noticed that the campsite is on the map as a flood plain for the river.

Change the wellies for waders!!!

I was at the campsite yesterday to sort out pitch allocations for those arriving tomorrow. I was chatting to the site owner about how low the River Wye appeared. We both agree that it was like summer level. So a stroll on the river bank down to Fownhope to the Green Man or New Inn might be nice :D.

Mark

I was a bit worried looking at the BBC forecast this morning for the end of the week, there was a lot of rain apparently on the way on Friday :)

I think Mark's forecast is the more optimistic one so I'll go with that one as well :D

Hi Kev,

I will sit in my dry tent eating jaffa cakes and giving you some encouraging words......

I might even make you a cuppa soup.

I hope to arrive at lunchtime on Tuesday, so hopefully I will have my tent erected by the time you arrive.

What sort of time Wednesday will you be arriving?

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Kev,

I will sit in my dry tent eating jaffa cakes and giving you some encouraging words......

I might even make you a cuppa soup.

I hope to arrive at lunchtime on Tuesday, so hopefully I will have my tent erected by the time you arrive.

What sort of time Wednesday will you be arriving?

Cheers

Adrian

As soon as possible I think, so mid/late Wednesday morning lol

Looking to get there early afternoon (12-1ish) too, followed by a mad dash to get the tent seam sealant applied before the rain :/

Was going to leave to arrive mid afternoon but the rain forecast has pushed that forward.

I was a bit worried looking at the BBC forecast this morning for the end of the week, there was a lot of rain apparently on the way on Friday :D

Not sure whether to bother with a tent at all. Shane's idea of sleeping in the car sounding good. Really don't want to be there taking the tent down Sunday morning, huge almighty downpour forecast.

You lot are a nightmare...

We spend 11 months of the year moaning that the weathermen cannot get the NOWCAST right and suddenly you take the 5 day forecast as gospel...!

Take a tent, take a scope - it WILL be clear :D

I recall that the forecast was not good for SGL4 a couple of years ago and people were saying the same. We ended up having a fantastic night on the Saturday night (some pulled an all nighter !) which included viewing my 1st supernova.

Even if it is cloudy there will be loads of people to talk to, equipment to drool over, etc, etc !.

Hopefully Helen will have come up with enough people to give talks that will keep us all entertained on an Astronomical side if its that bad.

I'I probably stick the kids swimming gear in and we'll go off to the local pool for a swim.

Archived