Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Suggestions for good planetary telescope

Dkoea

Hello,

I am looking for a new telescope that I can use for planetary observing. Currently, I have the SKY-HAWK 1145P and it has done a really good job at introducing me to planetary observation with amazing views of the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn. But I am looking for a new telescope that is more powerful than this one, and I am on a budget of £250 for the telescope (As I already have a mount that I am happy with). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Ursa Major 6” f8 Dob if you can stretch your budget a bit.

Unfortunately, £250 doesn’t go very far so the only thing in budget that potentially could go on your mount is a Skywatcher 102mm Mak. The 127 would be better but is over budget.  The 72ED is also a better planetary scope than the Skyhawk but again over budget. The dob will be better than all of these. In fact if you want something better than the dob above for anything “near” your budget you’re probably going to have to look at a bigger dob. 

• Like 5

I agree with @Ricochet - a 6 inch F/8 dobsonian will give you the best planetary viewing you can get for your budget. Your budget will almost buy a new one but will certainly buy a very nice used one - they usually go for a bit less than £200. 

• Like 2

I agree with our colleague... It is not a huge leap, but your budget does not allow it either... But I have no doubt that a Mak would be the tube that would support your mount without problems and would offer you better planetary or lunar views than your current tube. https://www.svbony.com/blog/the-first-maksutov-cassegrain-of-svbony-mk-105-pre-sale-nowbegins/

Got a Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145p as a first telescope. Still have it (on an upgraded tripod and mount) and use it as a grab and go plus travel telescope.

I have a tight budget too but got hold of an 8” Dob for free. Needed a bit of work but if you are OK with basic DIY, are careful and patient have a look around. There are some bargains out there.

But I agree with what others have said - a second hand 6” or 8” Dob is possible within your budget and will give much better planetary & lunar views than your Skyhawk. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dkoea said:

Hello,

I am looking for a new telescope that I can use for planetary observing. Currently, I have the SKY-HAWK 1145P and it has done a really good job at introducing me to planetary observation with amazing views of the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn. But I am looking for a new telescope that is more powerful than this one, and I am on a budget of £250 for the telescope (As I already have a mount that I am happy with). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hello @Dkoea and welcome to SGL.

As others have said a 6” or 8” Dobsonian is the way to go.

This is a new 6” - it’s above your budget though……

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ursa-major-telescopes/ursa-major-6-f8-planetary-dobsonian.html

This is a used 8” on UKastrobuysell…….

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=207635

Good luck in your search

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded from a 114mm reflector to an Ursa Major 6"inch dob in the summer. It's a brilliant scope for Jupiter, Saturn etc.. and don't forget the moon. It's more than capable for DSO"s under the right skies and I'm more than happy with it. (For now!!)

On 29/11/2023 at 21:30, John said:

I agree with @Ricochet - a 6 inch F/8 dobsonian will give you the best planetary viewing you can get for your budget. Your budget will almost buy a new one but will certainly buy a very nice used one - they usually go for a bit less than £200. 

I can't help but notice how often the phrase "no telescope is ideal for everything" gets said on these forums, yet whenever anyone ever asks what telescope they should get, you always get several people saying "6 or 8 inch Dobsonian" regardless of whether the interest is planetary, deep sky, lunar, whatever. 

24 minutes ago, Bugdozer said:

I can't help but notice how often the phrase "no telescope is ideal for everything" gets said on these forums, yet whenever anyone ever asks what telescope they should get, you always get several people saying "6 or 8 inch Dobsonian" regardless of whether the interest is planetary, deep sky, lunar, whatever. 

I guess that is because a 6 or 8 inch dobsonian is very good for observing most astronomical targets 🙂

For what they cost, it is difficult to think of another telescope design that provides better views.

Edited by John
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, John said:

I guess that is because a 6 or 8 inch dobsonian is very good for observing most astronomical targets 🙂

For what they cost, it is difficult to think of another telescope design that provides better views.

Exactly this especially for the money. The Dobsonian just works.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, John said:

My point is that if this is correct, then the "no telescope is good for everything" mantra cannot be. 

As the great Mark Knopfler once said: two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong. 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bugdozer said:

My point is that if this is correct, then the "no telescope is good for everything" mantra cannot be. 

As the great Mark Knopfler once said: two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong. 😉

Okay they’re not good for wide field and don't usually come with tracking. They're still the best value for an introduction to observing there is IMO.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 1

Experience tells me an 8" Dobsonian will be good for deep sky, planetary, doubles, and even solar with an 'in front' solar filter. Not exactly wide field but it can manage 2°.

I can't think of a more versatile scope for so little cost. This is why it's the most recommended scope for beginners.

• Like 6

On 12/12/2023 at 23:17, Bugdozer said:

Correct, an 8” Dob is not ideal for everything but is almost ideal for most things 👍

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

You can easily do EAA and short exposure AP with a dobsonian on an EQ platform.

Yes, it can be done. But it isn't the ideal method for doing that, is it?

Edited by Bugdozer

On 12/12/2023 at 17:17, Bugdozer said:

Certainly not the best if you need to transport them any significant distance, especially if walking or biking.  In that case, a suitcase/travel Dob would be more appropriate, but you have to build them yourself as Reiner Vogel has done many times over.  I don't understand why no manufacturer has stepped up to make these commercially.  They would make recommending Dobs even easier.

• Like 1

There’s two types of personalities that recommend telescopes. The first ask questions and weigh-up the requirements  and constraints the buyer might have. The second type forsake all that and say buy ‘X’ because the glove fits for them. Fortunately the two are easy to tell apart. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2