Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

8 hours ago, Pixies said:

Just popped out with the binos and the comet E3(ZTF) is well placed now, without having to get up at silly-o'clock!

Pretty faint and fuzzy, but visible with direct vision. Didn't have to do much star-hopping, just pointed in the rough area and found it.

Using 10x50s. The North East direction for me is nice and dark, as it's over the sea.

For some reason I was awake at silly o’clock and decided to give comet 2022 E3 a go, using my Olympus 8x40 bins and a couple of guide stars in Hercules was a fairly easy spot. 
All I can describe it as was a fuzzy blob, bigger and fainter than the M13 glob cluster which I used for comparison. 

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 13

C/2022 E3 for me too. TBH i wished i had gotten up much earlier because at 06:20 i was doing the limbo under my tripod - it wasn't an angle of attack conducive to careful observation. i couldn't hold steady enough to stand a chance hand held...all the stars looked like this SSSSSS

IMG_0797.jpeg.d55cfcfe73c99797bc5e2a8e6e10aec5.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Managed to get my first light with the 8” Nexstar SE purchased from @Stu1smartcookie. I made the grave error of not reading up on the Celestron hand controller. It’s alien to me after years with the Synscan. I was getting stressed as if it’s left sitting for a short while the directional buttons don’t operate. I was constantly having to switch it on and off again. I sacked the HC and switched to the WiFi adapter and Sky Portal. What a difference. Simple, intuitive and it works extremely well. First 3 star alignment and then slewed to Mars. It was I just off of centre with my 17.5mm Morpheus. Despite the seeing being a bit poor in Oxford tonight I still cranked it up to 225x with my 9mm Morpheus. Then while waiting for M42 to appear from a neighbors tree I selected Jupiter.  I used a 12mm Morpheus for 169x. Some decent NEB’s and EB’s but the poor seeing gave it a slightly underwater appearance. M42 was visible to me now so I put an Astronomik UHC filter on a 17.5 Morpheus and used the Sky Portal app on my tablet to go to M42. Once again it was in my FOV! Impressive. The difference that a decent UHC filter makes on M42 is not to be underrated.The nebulouslity was increased no end and stood out more against a darker background sky. Looking at the trapezium stars I could very easily spot 5. In better seeing with more magnification I could do much better. I quickly asked for the scope to go to Capella to check the collimation of the SCT. It was almost spot on with just a tiny tweak here and there to get it perfectly concentric rings on both sides of focus. Now for my favorite view of the night. This was the first time I had ever viewed the pinwheel cluster. With the 17.5mm Morpheus back in minus the UHC filter I was hooked on the this cluster and viewed it very intently. I had to call it a night despite there being no clouds due to the freezing temperature. I had endured 4 hours outside and had to seek warmth. Glad to say despite everything being iced up my dew ring that I recently fitted and a dew band around my eyepieces, my corrector plate was clear as a bell as was each eyepiece used. The Astro gloves acquired from @Littleguy80 were the best £13 I’d spent in a long while. Now to strip down and get into the warmth.

Seeing in my part of the world wasnt great , too ... but , you gotta take what you are offered i suppose ... a bit frustrating though as i had the same experience with Jupiter ...i set up just after 5pm and was back indoors by 7.30 as cloud rolled in . Tonight and tomorrow forecast to be ok , but then we will be back into milder cloudier conditions . My scope deinitely needs a collimation tweak... something to do during the day tomorrow . Nice report , @bosun21:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Second time lucky! And for once it was worth getting up at silly o’clock in order to spot comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF). first comet I’ve seen in a telescope and only the second comet I’ve seen in my life. That being Hale–Bopp. But then you only needed to look out of the window at a sensible time of night to see that.

Even managed to take some smartphone snaps. I’ll post a proper report in a bit. 

• Like 7

I just had a look at the gigantic sunspot AR 3190, brought to my attention by @Mircea. This thing is huge, currently over four times the size of the Earth! I used my 10x80mm tripod mounted binoculars and used the projection method. A nice sight, thanks @Mircea👍

Joe

Edited by Epick Crom
  • Like 8

Another couple of simply processed new captures:

M1 - Crab nebula (cropped wideview capture)

M1.thumb.png.f2a13ea733e6ab9c7df6173a41e21cfd.png

NGC2175 - Monkey Head nebula

NGC2175nebula.thumb.png.ac6d9feb74aa1764e6bfb9cccb20d2de.png

I just need to practise post-processing to see what I can pull out of the data (I'm pleased with the above) but not sure how much it would improve if the data was properly processed.

• Like 9

I was set up with the 8inch Starsense Explorer dob at 4.30am.  Freezing with snow on the ground, poor and variable transpareny

Within 2mts  C2022/ E3 ZTF  was centured in the field of the ES 24mm 68 deg eyepiece. Much the same as it was previously, around m6 by comparison with M13 and M92 globulars.  Hazy looking nucleus within a coma larger than the extent of M13. Tail difficult in the hazy conditions.

Changed to the Baader Mk111 to observe a few deep sky objects including

M67, one of the oldest globular clusters, 5 billion yrs. Double Cluster, M3, Melotte 111, M53, double Cluster and NGC 457 (ET cluster)

Cygnus was rising and I thought it would be fun to look at what are generally considered to be 'summer' objects.  I had a look at Albireo, M29 and M39.  Finally I looked at M27, the Dumbell - which looked rather ghostly from behind some haze.

I must admit it seemed a little strange to be observing these object in freezing temperatures with ice and snow on the ground. 🥶 

Started to pack up at 6am, good to see the comet again.

• Like 15

37 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Another couple of simply processed new captures:

M1 - Crab nebula (cropped wideview capture)

M1.thumb.png.f2a13ea733e6ab9c7df6173a41e21cfd.png

NGC2175 - Monkey Head nebula

NGC2175nebula.thumb.png.ac6d9feb74aa1764e6bfb9cccb20d2de.png

I just need to practise post-processing to see what I can pull out of the data (I'm pleased with the above) but not sure how much it would improve if the data was properly processed.

Great shots mate 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I was set up with the 8inch Starsense Explorer dob at 4.30am.  Freezing with snow on the ground, poor and variable transpareny

Within 2mts  C2022/ E3 ZTF  was centured in the field of the ES 24mm 68 deg eyepiece. Much the same as it was previously, around m6 by comparison with M13 and M92 globulars.  Hazy looking nucleus within a coma larger than the extent of M13. Tail difficult in the hazy conditions.

Changed to the Baader Mk111 to observe a few deep sky objects including

M67, one of the oldest globular clusters, 5 billion yrs. Double Cluster, M3, Melotte 111, M53, double Cluster and NGC 457 (ET cluster)

Cygnus was rising and I thought it would be fun to look at what are generally considered to be 'summer' objects.  I had a look at Albireo, M29 and M39.  Finally I looked at M27, the Dumbell - which looked rather ghostly from behind some haze.

I must admit it seemed a little strange to be observing these object in freezing temperatures with ice and snow on the ground. 🥶 

Started to pack up at 6am, good to see the comet again.

Hi Paul! I smiled when you were mentioning your thoughts on being outside in the freezing cold at such ungodly hours! LOL. I too have similar thoughts when I'm literally shaking with the cold at 3am! LOL. On a more serious note, I could think of nothing more life affirming than looking at the wonders above us, and I see the cold and discomfort as a tiny fee I have to pay mother nature for such a privilege! 

Clear Skies my friend.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

Hi Paul! I smiled when you were mentioning your thoughts on being outside in the freezing cold at such ungodly hours! LOL. I too have similar thoughts when I'm literally shaking with the cold at 3am! LOL. On a more serious note, I could think of nothing more life affirming than looking at the wonders above us, and I see the cold and discomfort as a tiny fee I have to pay mother nature for such a privilege! 

Clear Skies my friend.

Many thanks wesdon.  I must admit, the early hours are my favourite time for observing.  I generally don't feel the cold until I'm back indoors again.

Edited by paulastro
  • Thanks 1

Hello. Quick session completed just before teatime.  Set up FS 128 just about sunset time. All of 40 minutes.  Jupiter. Seeing was rather "in and out" but good in the nice moments. Caught the Io shadow transit and Ganymede transit. Good to note the shadow of Io was very much darker that Ganymede -  expected I guess. Also Io just finishing a transit as well. Nice view as it came off the limb. 

Multitude of band detail.  Looks like Jupe has a rather wide scarf wrapped around his midriff ATM 🙂

No time for Mars. may try again later but the seeing may be an issue for any views worth fighting for. 

John

• Like 7

Spotted a train of 51 starlink satellites as I headed out at about 6.45 this morning. Thought it was a vapour trail at first and then realised it was a line of dots.  They all caught the sun brightly as they headed east towards the dawn. Quite a sight, despite the mess they make of our skies. 

• Like 4

Just had a really nice surprise session. Finally got a clear night, but I'm off out this evening, so I grabbed a quick hour at dusk. From my log:

Jupiter- terrific views in 4mm. Io just by the disc. Gannymede hiding (is this right? I couldn't see it, but SkySafari implied it was in front of the planet). Multiple bands visible, with detail towards both poles

Mars- again great views- lots of surface detail present. Ice visible at pole 

Vega - very bright low in a blue sky.

Epsilon Lyra - drive a bus through there at 300x!

Albireo- colours standing out against a blue sky. It's the true Winter Albireo!! 🤣

Up to Cass...

Achird- fine view, white main star, deep orange companion

Castule and wide companion both deep orange

Owl cluster lovely view

Ngc663- very sparse, not sure I got it

Iota cass- super sharp view with nice clear separation

I was thinking how odd it was to be sitting outside in the snow in January observing these summer targets, then came on here to find exactly the same sentiment from @paulastro!

• Like 9

Just come in for a break and coffee. Next door's dog is out yapping 😡

Jupiter's a but fuzzy for me, snapping in and out of focus. Got some belt detail at x217.

Things are better higher up, still a bit of fuzz, but steadier. It allowed me to get up to x380 on a couple of tight doubles - HU1036 at 0.5" and HU807 at 0.6". Got both of them in steadier moments.
Ʃ229, 9.21 and 10.29, 2.5", looks lovely in the 12". Spectral class says A but the primary looks blue to me. Having a 2.5" double look bright and wide with pin prick stars at x217 is what we have large scopes for :wink2:

• Like 9

I phoned the wife to get the scope up the shed to cool as this might be the last clear night for a while.  Been working since 0600 this morning and got home at 1900 but oh boy, was it worth it.

Over on the svbony 3-8mm zoom post @Louis D suggested I order a cheap yellow and moonglow filter from eBay to improve contrast on Jupiter and mars.  Total cost was £10.  They both turned up today so I went out to excellent seeing getting straight to 3mm with the svbony for 216x power.  Jupiter looked very steady without the filters.  With them it just looked astounding.  Amazing detail and it almost made the atmosphere look even more steady.  It almost looked photographic and the colour cast was most pleasing.  I couldn't dwell for long before moving to mars as I need to go to bed shortly.

WIt's the filters Mars was hands down, no contest the best view I've had.  I could see definition to the light and dark areas so clearly.  I would swear on my life I could see a distinct white area on the north limb.  It felt a lot more like I was looking at an object where as previously it was like looking at a light, if that makes sense.

I tried without the stacked filters and whilst the viewing was good, the atmosphere seemed more unsteady and the light darker areas were more blurred.  I'm not confident I could see any white at the north again.

I'm certain that the seeing helped massively but for £10 I've had the best views of mars and Jupiter I've had.  The previous best coming because I bought the svbony zoom based on @Louis D review of it!

I've linked the filters I bought below.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/399997-svbony-8-3-zoom/page/5/#comment-4334138

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Just come in for a break and coffee. Next door's dog is out yapping 😡

Jupiter's a but fuzzy for me, snapping in and out of focus. Got some belt detail at x217.

Things are better higher up, still a bit of fuzz, but steadier. It allowed me to get up to x380 on a couple of tight doubles - HU1036 at 0.5" and HU807 at 0.6". Got both of them in steadier moments.
Ʃ229, 9.21 and 10.29, 2.5", looks lovely in the 12". Spectral class says A but the primary looks blue to me. Having a 2.5" double look bright and wide with pin prick stars at x217 is what we have large scopes for :wink2:

I hate yapping dogs. 🤬

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I phoned the wife to get the scope up the shed to cool as this might be the last clear night for a while.  Been working since 0600 this morning and got home at 1900 but oh boy, was it worth it.

Over on the svbony 3-8mm zoom post @Louis D suggested I order a cheap yellow and moonglow filter from eBay to improve contrast on Jupiter and mars.  Total cost was £10.  They both turned up today so I went out to excellent seeing getting straight to 3mm with the svbony for 216x power.  Jupiter looked very steady without the filters.  With them it just looked astounding.  Amazing detail and it almost made the atmosphere look even more steady.  It almost looked photographic and the colour cast was most pleasing.  I couldn't dwell for long before moving to mars as I need to go to bed shortly.

WIt's the filters Mars was hands down, no contest the best view I've had.  I could see definition to the light and dark areas so clearly.  I would swear on my life I could see a distinct white area on the north limb.  It felt a lot more like I was looking at an object where as previously it was like looking at a light, if that makes sense.

I tried without the stacked filters and whilst the viewing was good, the atmosphere seemed more unsteady and the light darker areas were more blurred.  I'm not confident I could see any white at the north again.

I'm certain that the seeing helped massively but for £10 I've had the best views of mars and Jupiter I've had.  The previous best coming because I bought the svbony zoom based on @Louis D review of it!

I've linked the filters I bought below.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/399997-svbony-8-3-zoom/page/5/#comment-4334138

Glad those filters worked out for you.

I've been experimenting with various yellow filters trying better understand what density of yellow is needed to suppress unfocused violet light in my 80mm f/5 refractor.  So far, it appears that lighter is better on less bright objects, but brighter objects require a denser yellow.  I think it's because our eyes simply can't perceive dim, unfocused violet; but can when it becomes brighter.  That yellow filter you bought should be just about appropriate for planets in fast achromats without introducing a noticeable yellow cast.  I think it's close to a Yellow #8.

• Like 1

I've just picked up C/2020 V2 (ZTF) on a 10 and 20 second exposure with a pentax astrotracer, and 55-300mm zoom on static tripod. 

Was curious if I could pick it up with basic equipment. It's a bit hazy and humid over the town so not ideal conditions.  

Stellarium says it was Mag 10.59 

7734680.thumb.jpeg.334730ed0cf1090dc13ea840f9b3c328.jpeg

Polish_20230120_213731069.thumb.jpg.0866f67ab4f947e4fe0347a9001ecdde.jpg

Polish_20230120_212322930.thumb.jpg.25487bfd244808ca9da5b2b707911dcc.jpg

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 6

Seeing still a bit wobbly, but in steadier moments, the star close to Mars is showing a textbook airy disc and single, faint, diffraction pattern. My collimation is perfect and the optics outstanding for the money. 

In those steady moments Mars is spectacular. It may only be small but there is a wealth of detail at x380 with the 4mm Ortho. I don't think I could draw it all and do it justice. That eyepiece just seems to separate out fine shading better than anything else.

It wasn't easy as my EQ platform stopped tracking. Motor seems to be running but the spindle is a bit loose :sad2: I'll check it out tomorrow.

Anyway, turned my attention to low power objects suitable for the 30mm UF. I could make out the nebulosity around Alcyone fairly easily. The crab was a bit faint but I could see the shape.

• Like 7

Only been out a short while and went straight for Orion.  For the second time this week E&F in the Trapezium were very visible in the APM as was Ori 32 & 52.  Particularly pleased with the latter two as they had eluded me last winter, but now I am happy to spend the rest of this session checking out old favourites.

• Like 8

A couple of short sessions either side of teatime for me tonight. Using my APM LZOS 130 f9. Seeing steadyish but transparency not great, even when wisps of thin cloud has passed - I'm sure the sky above York is brighter than when I moved here 10 years ago :(.

Mars high overhead, clear of the murk, was noticeable smaller than last time I went out - but lots of detail visible once I'd got my eye in - might have to follow Ratlet's example and invest in some filters though to further up the contrast.

Bounced around the sky a bit, picking off a few doubles, and enjoying some nice crisp views of M81/82, in an around Ursa Major and Gemini.

Highlight for me was a nice clean view of Sigma Orionis, with the "d" component clear.

Struggled with the trapezium in M42 though - just got the "e" component (but not the "f") at x120, but not much better when I went to x200. Suggestion of "f" then but wouldn't swear to it.... . Guess Saganite's APM 152 has the advantage tonight ;). Partly my issue is Orion is over a neighbour's house by the time it clears the trees in the garden.... . Seeing was generally squishy at anything over x200 tonight for me.

Still,  good to get out after a frantic week at work, and now feeling much more relaxed :)

• Like 7