Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice to meet you :)

StarGazingSiouxsie

Hello,

A Brit currently living in Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia. 

Been into astronomy & cosmology my whole life (probably on account of me having always felt this particular planet is not my home) but have only very recently decided to purchase a  telescope.

I've been using 10x50 bins up until now, because Sir Patrcik Moore RIP told me to!! Met him once and he said to me "If you can only currently affortd the rubbish in Woolworths, use binoculars instead until you can afford something over 4" (Newtonian) 

I currently have a Celestron AVX Mount with a Celestron 9.25 (non Edge) CST. I am on an extremely steep learning curve but loving every minute of it. Please forgive me in advance for driving you all nuts with naive questions. My first thread with a plea for help in trying to open Celestron's CFM on my laptop will follow this post!     

I did join another online astronomy forum but I found them a bit........serious......a bit.....precious......and very critical of my current set up. Most of them told me I should have started off with a much smaller scope - BUT I HAVE APERTURE FEVER & IT AIN'T GOIN' AWAY ANYTIME SOON!! I JUST KNOW IT!!!!

I did start off with a ( Celestron ) CGEM II mount but it was far too heavy for me to lift. The AVX is lighter and has a payload suited to my set up. 

Please stay healthy & happy.

Nice to meet you :)

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie
Beacuse I GOTTA
  • Like 4

Welcome to the forum.

10x50 bins are the weapon of choice at the moment with Comet Neowise.

Cure for aperture fever ??     Fluorite glass..... that keeps a lid on things.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, banjaxed said:

Hi and welcome to SGL. As long as you are enjoying this great hobby it does not matter what anyone else thinks.

+1 for that!

Nice kit, I'd say.

So if you're in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, I'm guessing you must be on trail of the lonesome pine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, x6gas said:

So if you're in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, I'm guessing you must be on trail of the lonesome pine?

I'm so pleased someone else got that one out of the way :D

And welcome to the OP :)

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome to SGL. 

Nowt wrong with the Celestron 9.25, personally I think that scope is the jewel in Celestron's crown. There are of course other scopes that are suited better to different types of observing and Imaging.  But I loved my C9.25 :)

Ant

• Like 3

19 hours ago, x6gas said:

+1 for that!

Nice kit, I'd say.

hAHAha of course ;)

I really think that by now there should have been a binary system of suitable individual masses called Laurel & Hardy :)   

• Haha 1

Just wanted to reach out and say how warm and fuzzy you all made me feel with your very thoughtful welcome messages. I think touches like that really make a difference between someone staying on a forum or not. 

Maybe because I'm a girl that it means more to me; not so much emotionally but from a viewpoint of acceptance within a field of enjoyment that has been largely male dominated over the latter few decades. So thank you to so many seemingly enlightened and empathic males here. My experience on another popular astronomy forum was very different.

I am very proud of fellow females such as Natalie Batalha (NASA Kepler) and Sara Seager (Professor MIT- specilaises in exoplanet spectral / atmosphere analysis). I predict that the first declaration of "we're as sure as we can be that we have found extrasolar life without actually being able to physically show you" will be made from one or both of these women within the next 15 years or so, once James Webb starts doing his stuff :) 

Clear skies & open minds 😍

• Like 2