Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Pontefract

DeanCJ

Hi everyone,

After  much time lurking in the background, I have finally decided to join the forum.

I am old enough to remember the Apollo missions, Skylab, and, Voyager missions, these were truly exciting times and I believed we, as human beings, could reach for the stars and achieve anything, and I guess this interest in space has stayed with me all my life. When I was young my parents bought me if I remember correctly, a Prinz Astral? Refractor, then when my children were young I bought them a Skywatcher reflector. Last year my wife asked me to buy a telescope as she is very interested in astronomy, so not wanting to spend a fortune and after a bit of research, I bought a Skymax 127 GoTo, well how surprised was I, is it a planet killer? maybe not, does it punch above its weight? definitely!! some of the lunar views we have had have been almost emotional, truly stunning. As with all hobbies things have now progressed!! We now have a Meade lx65 dual saddle GoTo mount with a Startravel 102 alongside the Mak which for us is fantastic, great low power wide field, and high power at the same time! If anyone would be interested I could review each of these if someone could point me to the correct section to post in. This is a great forum for advice and information and I hope that eventually I will be able to contribute something useful.

Clear sky’s to everyone.

Dean.

• Like 6

Hello Dean, seems you are well on your way and already at a point that you can help others, which is great. Perhaps you could post your memories of Apollo Skylab and voyager, I would be very interested.

Now we are in an age of YouTube and Wikipedia, it would be nice to hear a first hand account from someone who was around at the time, even if it was listening on the radio.

I am 47 so I grew up with ‘man walked on the moon’ but it is up till now that I have been reading about it and educating myself. I know nothing of skylab. Voyager on the other hand is etched in my school boy memory.

Marvin.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Hi Dean welcome to SGL, beware the dark force of imaging.

I must admit most, if not all the images I have seen here on SGL are fantastic, but it does seem quite complicated especially the software side of things, however I do happen to have a Canon eos 1100 and a T ring adapter that I accidentally purchased !! Don’t know how that happened !! 😉