NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What are you saving for?

mark81

Nothing would please me more than starting a thread in 'whole set ups' with me standing beside a pair of Vixen BT81 SA binoculars.  It's taken me a while to realise this, but upon doing so, I have started saving a few pennies- which are few and far between.  

I am always pleased to read other members threads about their new setups as many of us do.  But for those of you who aren't quite there yet or who have just started saving..... What are you saving for?

Screenshot_20190908-115104.png

Edited by mark81
Added image
  • Like 5

There are a few things I would like at the moment.  Dew heaters are probably the first, followed by an OAG for the C9.25 and computer-controllable motor focusers.

However, I still need to spend money on getting the observatory finished as opposed to merely usable, and the work on one of our barns to turn it into a holiday cottage makes astro kit prices look like petty cash, so pretty much anything I buy in the near future is going to be used or make-it-myself.

Actually, the cost of building work makes astro spending dangerously tempting in some respects.  For example, I've just committed to about £14,000 for all the plumbing, heating and electrics for the barn (and I wish I'd not bothered to add that lot up).  It's far too easy to get into the mindset of "Well, what's another few hundred on some astro gear compared with that?"

James

• Like 3

As @JamesF I'm also spending more than saving atm. Building an observatory puts any astro saving/investment on hold. But I am window shopping.

Rings + Losmandy plate for my MN190

Filters (dare I mention astrodon) and possibly a new filter wheel. 

• Like 2

Starting to (re)appreciate just how pleasurable to use a good pair of binoculars are.

So hoping to buy a pair of  Helios LightQuest-HR 80mm Binoculars soon, with a pistol-grip tripod head. This following the advice given on Steve Tonkin’s excellent Binocular Sky website.

• Like 1

Nearly a year ago I realised that 30 quid a month would get me a 12 inch Explore Scientific Ultra Light truss dob on my 50th birthday and also give me time to change my mind. Closing in on the half way point and have half talked myself out of it.  We'll see how it goes. 

• Like 2