Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

8 minutes ago, iPeace said:

You can always resort to calling yourself a "purist" and ignore all that new-fangled stuff - that's my plan, anyway...

I like that idea, but I'd be rubbish at it :rolleyes:  :lol:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DRT said:

So here it is, the very last picture I will ever have to post in this thread as I will never need to buy another eyepiece. This is the same as last time but with the edition of a Pan 15mm sourced from a nice man in Texas...

image.jpeg

I also have two TV 32mm Plossls which live in my solar case as I only use them for Bino-viewing through my Quark. 

That's it. The end. Absolutely done. Almost definitely. 

Phuh... never need to buy another eyepiece. I'm sure everyone who bought an 82° eyepiece said that same thing then came a 100° then a 110° next it will be a 135° long eye relief that weighs only 10oz and you can guarantee it will come in green and black. :evil4:

Edited by spaceboy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, DRT said:

Almost definitely. 

'Almost' don't have to say anything in reply to that. 

The writing's on the wall.

... And it's still green and black. ??

• Like 1

Doug

From my experience and also reading books/internet etc I would put the 'best' eyepieces as (some not available now). Obviously personal preference does come into it

widefield: televue ethos, docter 12.5mm, Nikon hw (I would add Es 92 le to this)

normal: televue Delos, televue delite, Pentax xw, leica asph zoom

planetary: zeiss zao I, zeiss zao II, Pentax xo

Edited by Gavster
  • Like 3

I've seen a thread somewhere else - very probably CN - where they did a best EP of all time poll. Almost an impossible question to answer (or result to determine), but I think that Leica ASPH, Ethos13 and Docter 12.5 all featured towards the top. I could quite happily list my favourite albums of all time (1 - George Harrison - All Things Must Pass. 2 - Love - Forever Changes. 3 - Beatles - Revolver. 4 Fairport Convention - Liege and Lief. 5 Television - Marquee Moon) but my favourite eyepieces? I've never even seen a Docter 12.5mm.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎28 at 16:23, DRT said:

So here it is, the very last picture I will ever have to post in this thread as I will never need to buy another eyepiece. This is the same as last time but with the edition of a Pan 15mm sourced from a nice man in Texas...

image.jpeg

I also have two TV 32mm Plossls which live in my solar case as I only use them for Bino-viewing through my Quark. 

That's it. The end. Absolutely done. Almost definitely. 

Can we draw the conclusion "never=6 days"?:hiding:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YKSE said:

Can we draw the conclusion "never=6 days"?:hiding:

Astro equipment buying terminology:

"Never" = "a week or so"

"Keeper" = "until I see something even more exciting ..."

"95% of the performance of ..." = "but I rather want that additional 5% ....."

And theres more I'm sure.

We are all afflicted though ..... :rolleyes2:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DRT said:

To be  fair, I said I would never need to buy another eyepiece, not that I would never buy another eyepiece :evil:

As I got 3 eyepieces with my 1st scope (60mm refractor) I guess I've never needed to buy any more either ...... :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DRT said:

To be  fair, I said I would never need to buy another eyepiece, not that I would never buy another eyepiece :evil:

Thanks for the clarification with emphasis "need buy":smile:

• Like 1

I collected the Pentax Zoom from Dave today. What a beautiful piece of kit it is, simply oozing quality. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it in that case :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

On 28-5-2016 at 19:16, John said:

Great stuff Derek ! :icon_biggrin:

Just in time for the launch of the Ethos II range next month. More eye relief, 99.9% transmission and 125 degree field across the whole range :evil4:

Uh-oh, I had steered clear of these newfangled hyper-wides. If they add eye relief i have no excuses left. RESISTANCE IS USELESS!!

:D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my latest offering.. I moved on my televue plossls from 25mm to 8mm, lovely as they were, for a slightly better and way more comfortable set of SLV's.  The explore scientific 82's also left the family as I found eye relief to be more desired for time at the EP, and these have been (slowly) replaced with the two delos, and I opted for a 24mm 68ES over the pan, again for the eye relief.. Just added the 17.3mm delos and eye guard extender today! 

A small space left for a 14mm Delos at some point and "ahem" that should be that.... 

20160726_220239.jpg

Ta

Fozzie

• Like 4

Thanks Derek, you know I've not even considered moving the SLV's on, although as your right in thinking they might see less time in the scope with those two Delos and a 2x focal extender giving me a good range of circa 70deg EP's... BUT I'm finding the SLV's are great for grab and go, being light weight, the 72mm ED loves them to bits, especially on white light work (prefer the 9mm and 12mm SLV over the 10mm Delos in the 2mmED), and there's no FC like there is on the wider EP's (especially with the 72mmED).  The shorter end, higher mags work well in all my scopes, and sometimes I prefer the narrower FoV to give me less distractions (yes it's a bind with no go too or tracking but it's how I role!)

So at the moment I think they are keepers.. I'm hoping they will complement the delos, and both sets are very comfortable to use and 50 to 70deg Ep's seem to be my sweet spot.

Garrrrrbled on their a bit, but in my head it all made perfect sense..!

Ta

Fozzie

• Like 1