Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

My humble offering.

I started out with the Meade 4000 anniversary set and have bought and sold a few since then.

This is what I have left. I use the Baader zoom most. Can't get rid of the TV plossls. BGO 10mm ortho saved from recent cull. The Antares W70 is very nice as is the very cheap WO 20mm clone.

Currently thinking of adding Baader zoom barlow??

I now spend more time observing than swapping eyepieces. ;-)

P1040823.jpg

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, surfindogg said:

P1040823.jpg

Noce:smile: More time observing is good way make best of the few clear nights:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Nice collection. I have one of those Antares WA 70 deg EPs (a 25mm) which does sterling work in my 70mm F/5 finder scope. I recently modded it to illuminated cross-hair EP. Nice little Erfle, does show some seagulls at F/5 at the edge, but great as a finder EP, and very nice indeed in slower scopes. Comfortable regarding eye placement too

2 hours ago, surfindogg said:

That is why this place is so great - I have just learned I own an Erfle! :icon_biggrin:

It is a very comfortable eyepiece to use. I understand some of the other f/ls were better than the 25.

Quite possible. I wanted one with as wide a field stop as possible to squeeze as much true FOV as possible out of the finder. I finally had my first use of it as an illuminated cross-hair EP last Sunday, and it was excellent (I used it before without illumination).

IMAG0707.jpgIMAG0742.jpgIMAG0738.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, surfindogg said:

That's my thought too! few eyepieces -> less swapping -> longer observing time :) 

It's down to preference though. A few people prefer to have the option to get the best magnification / frame depending on the circumstances. If so, a larger selection of eyepieces is needed

• Like 2

More time observing is good way make best of the few clear nights:thumbsup:

I am thinking on these lines, i have a full set of Circle T VT ortho`s but i dont use a good few of them and with eyes that are not getting younger i feel their future with me could be limited so i might look at changing them for a smaller number of more comfortable ep`s but no idea which ones, i think i could sell the set of 8 and buy maybe four ep`s that each one would spend more time in the Diagonal

• Like 3

The two priorities behind my decision to replace my naglers were: 1) comfort (=eye relief), 2) a bit better views. I've never regretted this decision so far. Not that the Nagler T6 are very uncomfortable, but they exclude the option to use spectacles, and in my case I am not a mega fov addicted. 

Jules, passing from an orthoscopic to a large eye relief eyepiece is something which certainly won't passed unnoticed! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

Jules we keep threatening to meet up, and I keep threatening to get you behind my SLV's... We should really make this happen..

Yes fozzie, we will have to arrange some thing, i would be happy to trundle over your way one saturday or even a friday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

No threats on SGL please :icon_biggrin:

Ah forgive my aggressive demeanour... should have said "strongly propose"

Happy to Jules, can meet half way or call over to you... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonshane said:

My Delites have the qualities of orthos other than tight eye relief and narrow field.

You've been banging the drum so hard on these that I have been  tempted. I like the fact that they aren't too cumbersome and look comfortable (as well as having TV quality).  The only thing that pushed me more towards the Delos/XW is that my Meade HD 60s are the same fov and are nice to use, so I would want to try a wider fov to justify the extra cost. No doubt the Delites are better (than the HD60) in all other respects though. 

My attention has now been taken with an obsy (shed) at the top of the garden and possible scope upgrade, which means I don't have to lie awake at night weighing up the pros and cons of eps (limited supply of money!). Choosing a scope is far easier and quicker than deciding on which eps to go for!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iPeace said:

You don't suppose that this layout is an all too blatant acknowledgement of what is bound to happen, do you?

tmp_8442-DSC_02421159256013.JPG

That's so beautifully neat, it really helps my OCD lol. I'm sure there's room for some more black and green!

• Like 2

On 5/3/2016 at 20:43, bish said:

You've been banging the drum so hard on these that I have been  tempted. I like the fact that they aren't too cumbersome and look comfortable (as well as having TV quality).  The only thing that pushed me more towards the Delos/XW is that my Meade HD 60s are the same fov and are nice to use, so I would want to try a wider fov to justify the extra cost. No doubt the Delites are better (than the HD60) in all other respects though. 

My attention has now been taken with an obsy (shed) at the top of the garden and possible scope upgrade, which means I don't have to lie awake at night weighing up the pros and cons of eps (limited supply of money!). Choosing a scope is far easier and quicker than deciding on which eps to go for!

I've owned several HD60s and I did like them. They are very well built and solid feeling. They are effectively a "supercharged" plossl, ie with an artificially wider field of 60 degrees instead of the normal 50 degrees found in a plossl: the views on axis match most eps, but I did find the edges very soft when I compared them to other 60 degree eps, most notably the Pentax XF 8.5 and 12mm. I take your point about only wanting to upgrade if you get more field of view, but actually, if you can get the same field of view with sharper images  for the full 60 degree field, I submit that too is a worthwhile upgrade - you could have virtually 60 degrees of sharpness instead of 50 degrees of sharpness and 10 degrees of seagulls:icon_biggrin:..

You can currently get a good price (around £90 each) for the Pentax XF's and I would heartily recommend them :-)

Dave

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

I've owned several HD60s and I did like them. They are very well built and solid feeling. They are effectively a "supercharged" plossl, ie with an artificially wider field of 60 degrees instead of the normal 50 degrees found in a plossl: the views on axis match most eps, but I did find the edges very soft when I compared them to other 60 degree eps, most notably the Pentax XF 8.5 and 12mm. I take your point about only wanting to upgrade if you get more field of view, but actually, if you can get the same field of view with sharper images  for the full 60 degree field, I submit that too is a worthwhile upgrade - you could have virtually 60 degrees of sharpness instead of 50 degrees of sharpness and 10 degrees of seagulls:icon_biggrin:..

You can currently get a good price (around £90 each) for the Pentax XF's and I would heartily recommend them :-)

Dave

Thanks Dave. I originally had a 11mm nag and 8mm radian, but couldn't afford to buy TV's so tried out the 6.5mm HD60. Although not as good as the TVs, it was comfortable and had a decent enough fov. I ended up buying another one as they were relatively cheap, and I wanted to just stick with what I knew.  I do like them, but as you point out they far from perfect.  I had heard that the XF's were good, but already had a 8mm radian and 12mm HD 60 by that point. Also I had previously overlooked the XFs, being too focused on the Pentax XW v TV debate. 

I think when my main expenses are out of the way I may sell up all of my ep's and start from scratch. This is very expensive when looking at all Delos/XW/Delites etc - so perhaps a couple of XFs and a couple of the higher end eps would be the answer. By the time I get around to it there probably be a new kid on the block to make further complicate things.

• Like 1

My 14 and 8 Deloi have now been joined by the 17.3 :icon_biggrin:

20160508_184043.jpg

I can't really overstate how happy I am with these eyepieces and the 24 Pan. The views I've had with them so far have been excellent.

Andy.

• Like 7