Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

20 minutes ago, John said:

Nice and now even nicer :icon_biggrin:

It's often said that the Ethos range falls into 2 "sets" depending on the scope thats being used:

21-13-8

and

17-10-6

The 4.7 and 3.7 seem to be considered as "standalone" items.

Never being one for "rules" I seem to have a crossover set with some from each group but only the 21-13-8 group complete.

From the TeleVue website:

The 21mm focal length completes the logical set of 21mm/13mm/8mm and nicely juxtaposes the 17mm/10mm/6mm combination. Each step within these two sets approaches a 3x field area gain.

The 17mm ETHOS is an ideal complement to the 31mm Nagler Type-5. They are parfocal (both have focus locations about 3/8" above shoulder) and the 31mm Nagler Type-5 has exactly twice the true field area.

Edited by iPeace
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, John said:

Nice and now even nicer :icon_biggrin:

It's often said that the Ethos range falls into 2 "sets" depending on the scope thats being used:

21-13-8

and

17-10-6

The 4.7 and 3.7 seem to be considered as "standalone" items.

Never being one for "rules" I seem to have a crossover set with some from each group but only the 21-13-8 group complete.

John,

That's why I have both sets, I'm still teetering on the edge over the 4.7mm and I do have enough spare cash in the UK bank, dangerous times. I feel the thing that is stopping me is 1 month of poor weather, dare I risk it.

Alan

• Like 2

As I said earlier, I moved away from pick and pluck, and bought some ethafoam sheets.....I keep my case in the garage, so keep a canister of silica gel in there for good measure. As it's a fully waterproof case, that's probably overkill, but you can't be too careful.  I keep my Argo Navis in there too, to keep it away from the damp.

image.jpeg

Edited by OneEyedSam
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

My 21mm Ethos just arrived today.....

10F03B76-A864-4670-943D-AEBFE503CB2B.jpg

Congratulations on the 21mm Ethos. The only other good thing I see here is no space for another, it didn't work for me though I made the mistake of having a larger case.

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

Congratulations on the 21mm Ethos. The only other good thing I see here is no space for another, it didn't work for me though I made the mistake of having a larger case.

Alan

Well, that surely isn't the ONLY other good thing you see?

:happy11:

Excellent set!

Edited by iPeace

Yes of course the other Ethos's are excellent and you have a fine collection. Many say the 13mm is the best of the range, Calvin tends to favour the 8mm and I believe he likes the Powermater as well. I had one but found it a bit too long though I could almost observe from indoors if the scope was close enough to the house. I also found that with having a few more eyepieces than most it didn't really get used, it went to another site member who was very pleased with it.

As for which is best, I think they are all absolutely superb, it could just be a matter of which type of scope the person uses.  

Alan

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

My 21mm Ethos just arrived today.....

10F03B76-A864-4670-943D-AEBFE503CB2B.jpg

Very nice indeed Daz - congrats :thumbsup:

Can I ask you a quickie question please -do you ever feel that it would be nice to have a 10mm between the 13E and the 8E - perhaps you plan to PM2x the 21E? (significant weight I imagine though...). Just curious - contemplating some updates to my own EP set :)

Yep, you've got it, Pm'ing the 21 will give me a 10.5mm, weight is not so much an issue for me as I have a Moonlite focuser on my OTA, that can take the weight of a PM and the 21mm.

Although thinking about it, the 8mm gives me 150x mag, the 21mm powermated (10.5mm) will give me 114x mag, not that much difference really so may not actually use the 21mm powermated, I guess time and sky condition will tell.

Edited by Daz Type-R
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daz Type-R said:

Yep, you've got it, Pm'ing the 21 will give me a 10.5mm, weight is not so much an issue for me as I have a Moonlite focuser on my OTA, that can take the weight of a PM and the 21mm.

Although thinking about it, the 8mm gives me 150x mag, the 21mm powermated (10.5mm) will give me 114x mag, not that much difference really so may not actually use the 21mm powermated, I guess time and sky condition will tell.

Hi - many thanks! Your set is my 'wish list' set ;) Besides raw cost of course, my next concern is avoiding fussing over balance. The T6's are remarkable for their physical size and weight, but I took a punt and tasted 100° fov (ES20 for €275 - thanks to Bart) and unfortunately liked it. A lot. ?

Enjoy that new 21E & clear skies!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Some great, droolworthy cases and green-and-black collections. I am not going to replace the XWs to turn my collection pure green-and-black, however, especially since a couple of parfocal rings means my Delos EPs play nicely with the 3 XWs I have. The LVW 42 is safe as well

I'm keeping my XW's as well Michael :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

I'm keeping my XW's as well Michael :icon_biggrin:

They are superb, aren't they. If ever I get that fast Dob, I might well get the XW3.5 as well. Really comfy, and superb image quality. I did recently see a TMB Paragon 40mm second-hand, and was tempted to replace the LVW 42mm with that. The LVW might have a tiny advantage in terms of edge sharpness, but the Paragon was definitely better in terms of viewing comfort.  The Panoptic 41 is a similar temptation, but I use the LVW 42 so rarely, I had better invest in a Delos 6mm with parfocal ring to snuggle in the "gap" between the XW5 and XW7.

Added a couple of 15mm TV plossls for binoviewing while the prices are discounted. But biggest change to eyepiece use in recent weeks has come not from new acquisitions, but from trading up scopes from C6 to C8 Edge. Now using Panoptic 35 a lot more. Ethos 13 is now a high mag eyepiece. Only drawback is that Delos 6 is too powerful to use with C8 - need to decide if it's worth holding onto purely for use with Equinox. And if not, what on earth could I do to fill that gaping hole in my EP case?

image.jpg

• Like 2

On 19/05/2016 at 15:54, John said:

Mark,

You need to turn that Pentax zoom the other way up before the OCD police arrive! :icon_eek:  :help:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, DRT said:

You need to turn that Pentax zoom the other way up before the OCD police arrive!

But this way up, you can read the writing on it... :grin:

Edited by iPeace
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, iPeace said:

But this way up, you can read the writing on it... :grin:

This is an OCD nightmare! I was thinking that you could say the zooms needed to be upside down so the writing was the right way up, but then I spotted that pesky nag zoom! ???

• Like 2

They ought to engrave the details on a ring which could be installed either way up to suit the observers taste / OCD level. Major design omission IMHO :rolleyes2:

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Added a couple of 15mm TV plossls for binoviewing while the prices are discounted. But biggest change to eyepiece use in recent weeks has come not from new acquisitions, but from trading up scopes from C6 to C8 Edge. Now using Panoptic 35 a lot more. Ethos 13 is now a high mag eyepiece. Only drawback is that Delos 6 is too powerful to use with C8 - need to decide if it's worth holding onto purely for use with Equinox. And if not, what on earth could I do to fill that gaping hole in my EP case?

image.jpg

A Delos 8mm perhaps? That gets a lot of use in my C8 under good conditions. I would first see if the Delos 6mm doesn't work well on the moon (I sometimes use the XW5 on the moon to great effect in the C8.

• Like 1

Ok that's useful to know about the 8mm Michael. In the right scopes the Delos 6 is such a lovely eyepiece, and mine is virtually new, but with TV prices discounted at the moment it's not a good time to sell. Might see if anyone has a D8 they want to swap.