Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whilst I've been away - highlights - Iris, Wizard, CTB1, B150 & others

Barry-Wilson

I've had a very busy summer and autumn with work and also a series of family illnesses and hospital spells, along with contributing to managing and running my shared remote observatory has meant a little rationing of screen time.  On return from our family holiday in August a neighbour at e-EyE sent Steve and I an email appealing for help as for personal reasons he had to sell urgently.  So Steve and I pooled resources and acquired a second rig in Spain - me the mount (GM2000HPS) and Steve the scope and ccd (FSQ106 and QSI683 + Astronomik filters).  Thus for a time we've been able to use both setups on targets with amazing output.  A shared maintenance visit in mid-October enabled us to switch scopes and ccd on our 'new' second rig: more on that when we have first light.  We both realise how lucky we are . . .

After caring emails from SGL users I thought I'd post to show some highlights . . . images as usual on my AstroBin pages (https://www.astrobin.com/users/Barry-Wilson/) and also my own SmuMug site (https://barrywilson.smugmug.com/).

Thanks for looking & CS to all!

Barry

I am particularly proud of the Iris Nebula image, a long-sought target which I had seemingly been cursed with bad weather when trying previously, from e-Eye:

LRGB_LSEBlend.thumb.jpg.8234b83ed0fcf64abc5e4e848ba630c9.jpg

Then a very faint CTB1, challenging as my first HOO combined with RGB stars:

HOORGB_Final_Blend.thumb.jpg.da44146660e6acfa50fb50a8fdb3be73.jpg

A dusty B150 from the 'king' constellation of Cepheus:

B150_LRGB_Blend_Final.thumb.jpg.68573a9cd3088438776ed9b92d0a349d.jpg

A classic sorcerer in HST pallete:

SHO_Final_Blend2_alt.thumb.jpg.40573847d61dc2ba0d7a3a4cb0428579.jpg

A two panel mosaic of Bubble & Claw:

Claw_and_Bubble_FinalBlend.thumb.jpg.441c046ab401237eb9abcd7bf4901e7d.jpg

Finally, a couple of images from my home observatory - a deep Cocoon and Melotte 15 from the Heart:

Cocoon_LumRHaGB_Final2.thumb.jpg.92379c38701b9324b291ad484a7a4ea8.jpg

Mel15_SHO_Blend_Final.thumb.jpg.f191599a4155b5196e344af25df5b337.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful images Barry. I particularly like the B150.

I had wondered why you haven't been posting lately. Hope all's well, there's very little worse than having a family member ill. I know all too well, my son has serious health issues which result in numerous hospital admissions. This hobby can be a great distraction. Anyway it's good to see you posting here again.

14 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Wonderful images Barry. I particularly like the B150.

I had wondered why you haven't been posting lately. Hope all's well, there's very little worse than having a family member ill. I know all too well, my son has serious health issues which result in numerous hospital admissions. This hobby can be a great distraction. Anyway it's good to see you posting here again.

Thanks Richard for your kind words.

Our eldest daughter has cerebral palsy and she is susceptible to chest infections and in hospital now, fourth admission since mid-August.  Hey ho!  Yes, it's good to have a distraction, just as a release and sanity preserver.

5 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Amazing images Barry..  

Dave 

Thanks Dave.

5 hours ago, alan4908 said:

Excellent images Barry, really top class.

On the processing front are you still 100% Pixinsight ?

Alan

I sure am Alan.  I ventured into PixInsight from the outset as it offers a complete processing solution and with a sustainable purchase model.  I did download a trial version of PS after a year or so of using PI, and contrary to the norm I found it very unintuitive and completely impenetrable.  I was very off-put by the pricing model and opted to persevere and concentrate my energies with PI.  I have never regretted it.  I am not a slavish proselytising PI user though, it is far better I believe to be competent and confident in the software of your choice, whether PS, PI, AstroArt, AstroTools or APP or whatever.

I have shared techniques and tips with imagers and have been approached recently via PM from a newbie imager to explain my workflow.  If I get time I will do just that (I do have a couple of tutorials on my SmugMug site and keep on promising more - note to self ?).  Warren Keller's dvd series and book, as well as Harry's and Kayron's websites, are all good resources for those who are scratching around for initial help.

5 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Busy boy + multiple rigs + clear skies = amazing images + an APOD 

Great work Barry!

Cheers Gav, much appreciated amigo.

4 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Fabulous images Barry. I would not like to think of the countless hours processing all those images :)

Hope all is well.

Steve

Ha, ha Steve . . . now you are talking.  It can be surprising when an image is more difficult than imagined and conversely easier than anticipated.  I have to say that having oodles of data from e-EyE in general makes processing steps and transformations easier (as many remark).  For example, Steve and I have settled on at least 24 x 600s for each RGB unless weather prevents.  This 'standard' really aids the broadband processing - from smooth channels to rich colouring with limited need to saturation, which in turn minimises processing artefacts.  It's a virtuous circle.  This of course doesn't help UK-captured data.  You either need to be very patient (a la PhotoGav) or a processing ninja (a la Peter Shah) or have access to darker skies, for which I am grateful in relatively rural south Devon.  My recent Heart of the Heart/Melotte 15 took about 90 minutes to process . . . quite unexpectedly brief.

3 hours ago, peter shah said:

A very productive summer Barry....simply stunning set of images, exquisitely  processed...a pure joy to look at.

Thank you Peter, quite a compliment and your RGB images have been an inspiration over the years.

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Super stuff Barry not just in the targets but lovely stars.

Dave

Cheers Dave - I have been concentrating on star processing.  A good RGB dataset is advantageous ?. I have recommended a 10 Micron user contact you on the 10 Micron forum BTW, they are struggling with wifi connection.  Hope you don't mind.

2 hours ago, toxic said:

awesome set of images Barry well done indeed 

Thanks Chris.  Take a peak on my site as there are other images, eg Double Cluster, Little Rosette.

6 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

I have recommended a 10 Micron user contact you on the 10 Micron forum BTW, they are struggling with wifi connection.  Hope you don't mind.

No problem Barry, it is a bit of a fiddle, could do with better instructions in the manual.

Dave

All wonderful images, you should be justifiably proud of the Iris Nebula image, the impression of depth is just breath taking.

Looks like 2 solid weeks of cloud in North Yorkshire around no moon, remote imaging is eating away at me...

Steve

5 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Thanks Richard for your kind words.

Our eldest daughter has cerebral palsy and she is susceptible to chest infections and in hospital now, fourth admission since mid-August.  Hey ho!  Yes, it's good to have a distraction, just as a release and sanity preserver.

Tough going but hopefully she'll be home soon.

On 04/11/2018 at 18:20, harry page said:

Hi

Well those are very excellent images , not seen CTB1 before - always something new :)

Have looked at a remote set up , but like being in me shed ?

Cheers

Harry

Having a shed is a must - I hope you've seen the mock 'Ladybird' book about The Shed (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladybird-Book-Shed-Ladybirds-Grown-Ups-ebook/dp/B015QQ10SS)?

On 04/11/2018 at 19:07, laser_jock99 said:

Fantastic results- keep them coming!

Thank you!

On 04/11/2018 at 19:13, gorann said:

All truely amazing images Barry, not the least CTB1 that I have never seen before (although I have of course followed you on Astrobin and seen and "liked" them as they have dropped in).

& much appreciated gorann. Congratulations on the two x Esprit, super scopes that will bring you oodles of joy and cracking images.

On 04/11/2018 at 20:57, tomato said:

All wonderful images, you should be justifiably proud of the Iris Nebula image, the impression of depth is just breath taking.

Looks like 2 solid weeks of cloud in North Yorkshire around no moon, remote imaging is eating away at me...

Steve

Thank you Steve.  Remote imaging is a challenge whether in your back garden or remote - neither is inexpensive however £/image remote is a better ratio ?.  I would recommend teaming up with a like-minded person to help with logistics, problem and operating sharing & for the sheer fun!

On 04/11/2018 at 23:12, adyj1 said:

Barry, best wishes to you and yours. 

? ?.

On 04/11/2018 at 23:30, tooth_dr said:

Barrry a truly amazing set of images.  Thank you for sharing and showing how fruitful your skills really are.

If only . . . plenty of hours sweating over PI.  Plenty of data helps enormously.

On 05/11/2018 at 14:47, RichLD said:

Absolutely brilliant!

Thank you.

On 05/11/2018 at 15:36, StargeezerTim said:

Superb... Hope your difficult time is now over.

Not quite but improving by the day ?.

4 hours ago, bob-c said:

A joy to look at.

Bob. 

Cheers Bob.

4 hours ago, Xiga said:

Absolutely amazing Barry. I love them all, especially the Wizard Nebula (I'm a sucker for the Hubble Palette!).

Hubble palette is a joy and leaving a touch of green also helps depth and tonal variation.

3 hours ago, moise212 said:

Some superb images, Barry! I hope all goes better

Cheers now.

TTFN.

Archived