Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

  • Announcements

    sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nlc.gif

alan4908

Advanced Members
  • Content count

    507
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

648 Excellent

1 Follower

About alan4908

  • Rank
    Proto Star
  • Birthday

Contact Methods

  • Yahoo
    alanmarsh4908@yahoo.com

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Interests
    Astrophotography ! ....at the moment I'm concentrating on deep space imaging
  • Location
    East Sussex

Recent Profile Visitors

2,545 profile views
  1. Very impressive Mark. I do like the colours and the way that you have processed this. Alan
  2. A very impressive image Tom and excellent processing. Amazing detail, what's the plate scale of this imaging set up ? Alan
  3. From the album Deep Sky III

    A (slight) reprocess of the Bubble nebula which is also in this album. Here, I decided to focus on the medium bright stars and added slightly less luminescence in order to reduce their size and also increase colour. To shrink the stars slightly and also to make the star cores less white, I used the Pixinsight Erossion filter (under Morphological Transformation). To prevent the cores become too dim, I followed an Adam Block tutorial video recommendation and selected the 5 x 5 pixel diamond kernal filter.
  4. After experimenting with various ways to make my star cores less white, I decided on a two stage technique: i) To stretch the Luminescent layer for the moderately bright stars slightly less, this reduces their size and allows more colour. ii) After watching an Adam Block processing tutorial: to shrink the moderately bright stars slightly via the Pixinsight Erosion filter (eg Morphological Transformation) with the Kernal filter set to a 5x5 diamond option, rather than a circular shape. After working out how to program Pixinsight with Pixelmath functions and trying various options to reduce the magenta, I still didn't like the result, however, I also found that I'm getting more partial to slightly purple stars Alan
  5. Thanks Paddy - I shall have a look at PI a little more for a possible solution. Thanks for the comment Olly - yes, I'd like less white cores, which as you say are caused by the additive effect of the Lum, I shall experiment a little more - thanks for the critique and tip !
  6. A very impressive image Paddy. I wish you good fortune on your new three scope set up ! Alan
  7. Thanks Paddy. I too like the result, the only (minor) issue that I have with the image is that some of the stars within the red nebulosity are a little too purple for me. They started off magenta which I reduced within PS, using selective colour and Hue/saturation. However, I found that if I reduced the magneta too much, the result didn't look correct, so I settled on a compromise of purple/blue. If you have any tips for a better magenta reducing strategy, please let me know ! Alan
  8. From the album Lunar

    A crop of the 50% LRGB Lunar X and V moon image, showing crater detail.
  9. From the album Lunar

    A semi-manual image of the 50% moon on 1st June 2017 taken with my Esprit 150. Whilst my DSO imaging set up was waiting for the moon to increase its angular distance from my selected DSO target, I took the opportunity to acquire some semi-manual images. I decided on an LRGB strategy since I wanted detail and colour contrast, so took 20 images per filter that where subsequently calibrated and stacked in RegiStar. I then followed my normal DSO processing workflow, sharpening the Lum component and boosting colour on the RGB composite. After I had finished processing the image, I noticed that, by accident, I had also managed to capture the so called Lunar X and V's - optical illusions that result in "X" or "V" shapes on the moon's surface. These are visible in transition region between the light and dark regions.
  10. Thanks Michael.
  11. Thanks for all the comments guys, which are much appreciated Alan
  12. Thanks - just spotted that I've also captured the lunar V.
  13. Thanks Charl - looking at the image, I've just realized that I have also managed to capture (accidentally) the Lunar X ! Alan
  14. Whilst my observatory control software was waiting for the moon to increase it's angular distance from my current DSO imaging target, I decided to take some semi-manual lunar images. Since I wanted to inject some colour contrast, whilst maintaining detail, I decided on a LRGB imaging strategy and took 10 subs per filter. I then followed my normal DSO post processing workflow but stacked the calibrated subs with RegiStar. Alan 50% Crop
  15. From the album Deep Sky III

    Quite a short integration time for me (4.3 hours) basically because the LRGB image is largely made up of test shots of my new unguided imaging set up. I still haven't quite perfected the art of magneta star elimination such that the results looks good - I think I shall have do a bit more research on the topic. The image was processed in PS with the exception of Pixinsight which was used for DBE, Colour Calibration, SCNR Green and Multiscale Linear Transform, I was particularly impressed with the latter function as a method of extracting a little more detail from the bubble region. LIGHTS: L:8; R:6:G:5:B:7 x 600s. DARKS:20, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 - all at -20C.