Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OI! Neighbour! NOOOO!

Tim

Tried to sneak a bit of visual observing in tonight before the moon came up, only to find that the guy whose garden backs on to ours at a 90° angle has left his greenhouse light on. My obsy is just the other side of the fence and everything around is illuminated :(

Hopefully it is just a case of him forgetting to turn it off, as his cucumbers dont need any extra light to thrive. A few years back though he started leaving it on every night and we had to go round to see him. I hope that isn't the case again, he knows what I do for a hobby and as a sideline. It is bad enough that he has a floodlight on his back garden all night long, but there is no way I will tolerate this. And his chickens kick off at 4.30AM sometimes, raising hell. Some of us don't go to bed until then and that egg-laying cacophony is most unwelcome.

Will watch what happens tomorrow night......hopefully a happy outcome. 

20180729_234135.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my neighbours set up floodlights to illuminate the trees in their garden as a garden night-light feature.

I thought about talking to them and in the end decided not to, partly because there's always someone putting on security lights or other lights on and I would be talking to a different neighbour every night and partly because once I've asked, if anything untoward happens after that I can be sure of permanent lighting just to be annoying. This might be unfair but I can't go back in time if it does happen .

Hopefully this is a overlooking and forgetting to turn off the light, especially when he knows what you do as a hobby... Otherwise WHY would any body want to be such prickly neighbours? 

How incredibly frustrating. I hope this has a quick and easy happy solution. I just hope he isn’t setting up a hydroponic cannabis farm to profit from the imminent legalisation of cannabis products, for medical use, of course...

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

The entire idea of having lights in a greenhouse is novel to me, I have to admit.

True dat! Most people around here have "conservatories" which
adjoin the lounge lighting-wise. ALL have a clear glass roof too. ?  

As a (modern) "two up two down" dweller, I tend to do most of my
Astronomy during Winter. It's "Open Plan", so I just have a curtain 
across the stairs for both heat and light control! I recently noted it
was MY landing window that was the ONLY local annoying light. ?

Not to say I haven't had more than a share of "the neighbours"... ?

13 hours ago, Tim said:

Tried to sneak a bit of visual observing in tonight before the moon came up, only to find that the guy whose garden backs on to ours at a 90° angle has left his greenhouse light on. My obsy is just the other side of the fence and everything around is illuminated :(

Hopefully it is just a case of him forgetting to turn it off, as his cucumbers dont need any extra light to thrive. A few years back though he started leaving it on every night and we had to go round to see him. I hope that isn't the case again, he knows what I do for a hobby and as a sideline. It is bad enough that he has a floodlight on his back garden all night long, but there is no way I will tolerate this. And his chickens kick off at 4.30AM sometimes, raising hell. Some of us don't go to bed until then and that egg-laying cacophony is most unwelcome.

20180729_234135.jpg

On side a note, looks like a UFO landed in your neighbour's garden  :)

I keep reading about neighbours on here. I don't think I like the sound of them and am glad I don't have any. The good thing about France is that houses without neighbours are the cheapest, while the reverse is the case in the UK. (There are other good things, too, I suppose. Driving on the wrong side of the road brings a constant frisson of excitement, the wine is cheap and the cheese is  smelly!

Olly

59 minutes ago, JimothyC said:

You should tell him that he needs to keep his lights off as it's only you and your telescopes protecting his greenhouse from incoming 'meteorites'!

It is surprising how localised and heavy these meteorite storms can be sometimes, must be the lights attracting them :p

1 hour ago, Tim said:

It is surprising how localised and heavy these meteorite storms can be sometimes, must be the lights attracting them :p

An unwelcome low level light appeared near me once, a good few years ago, and before I'd decided what to do about it a car in the village came off its handbrake in the night, rolled vaguely in the light's direction then veered wldly to demolish it completely before regaining its original trajectory - all this visible from its tracks - before stopping about 400 metres into a field. This is absolutely true. And, no, I really did have nothing to do with it!

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

(There are other good things, too, I suppose. Driving on the wrong side of the road brings a constant frisson of excitement, the wine is cheap and the cheese is  smelly!

Olly

I know and agree wholeheartedly, currently in the Vendee enjoying plenty of Saint Emilion, Roquefort, Brie, Camembert et Tomates Cerises - mmmhhhh. Kids and wife not so keen on the odeur! Liz keeps asking if I have farted, No, only opened the fromage box ?

Wether you need permanent lighting in a greenhouse aside, why is the light SO bright? Is he trying to find microscopic bugs at night and needs the bright light to find them? Surely a light on will just attract all sorts of undesirables, including the two legged variety!

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

An unwelcome low level light appeared near me once, a good few years ago, and before I'd decided what to do about it a car in the village came off its handbrake in the night, rolled vaguely in the light's direction then veered wldly to demolish it completely before regaining its original trajectory - all this visible from its tracks - before stopping about 400 metres into a field. This is absolutely true. And, no, I really did have nothing to do with it!

Olly

Sounds like that should be the dictionary definition of "Serendipity" :)

What a pain, we astronomers have a lot to contend with, especially from neighbours. I rented a beautiful house for six months with an option to buy, 150 foot south facing garden with fairly clear horizons. Astronomy nirvana compared to the town centre location I had previously lived at. One night I was out observing and enjoying the lovely dark skies when my neighbour (who had managed to ruin my day by sitting in his garden with BBC Radio Essex on full pelt) put his 500 watt spot light on, illuminating my garden and all surrounding gardens. It stayed on all night. I didn't buy the house. :( Bizarrely, my new house, which is fairly squashed in with other houses and surrounded by garages with high pitched rooves, is pretty dark and free from street lights and neighbours lights, for now. The whole thing is a lottery.

It's so dark where a friend of mine lives in  Majorca, whilst setting up  ,he tripped over a bucket and unfortunately broke his ankle and lay for some hours before anybody found him. Still getting hospital treatment for it 5 months now. He still hates security lighting tho....Dave

On 30/07/2018 at 00:43, Tim said:

20180729_234135.jpg

Cucumbers, yeah right. 

Lol

On 31/07/2018 at 15:12, AndyH said:

Lights in a greenhouse? Is your neighbour growing plants of the five leafed variety?

:laugh2:

Nope they're cucumbers, I can tell with my binoculars :D

The light was off the next night, thank goodness, but my immediate neighbours are dog sitting, and the little blighter kept running out and setting off the secuirty PIR....... win some, lose some

27 minutes ago, Tim said:

Nope they're cucumbers, I can tell with my binoculars :D

The light was off the next night, thank goodness, but my immediate neighbours are dog sitting, and the little blighter kept running out and setting off the secuirty PIR....... win some, lose some

I was showing the image of the greenhouse tonight to friends, and they all agreed that there are no cucumbers in that greenhouse.

*certainly not conditions for cucumber alone, to grow in*.

Archived