NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flat Earth one line debunks

Peco4321

The earth is actually shaped like a smartie.

The continents and everything are duplicated on either side and there are two suns, two moons and two of everything in space.

That means that each of us is duplicated and if we think we went on (say) a world cruise we have actually swapped places with our doppelganger.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a very simple experiment, anyone with a camera can prove the Sun is not 32miles in diameter and at a height of 3000miles.

Take a photo just after sunrise and one as it crosses the meridian, you should see in both photos that the Sun is exactly the same size.
There is a tiny difference but if the Sun was the size and distance according to flat earthers it would have an apparent size difference
that is approximately equal to the ratio between the sines of the two angles that you took the photos at.

You can do exactly the same experiment for the Moon.

Warning
If you do attempt to photograph the Sun please take care and never look at the Sun
direct or through the camera or telescope/lens and use a proper solar filter.

3 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

Make controversial videos get lots of views make money. ;)

That sounds like at least PART of it these days? :p

But among the "usual suspects", re. culture and belief, countries that
have a significantly different "demographic" (UK included) still yield a
surprisingly uniform 20% who believe in a variant of geocentricism! :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocentric_model#Religious_and_contemporary_adherence_to_geocentrism

But I do start to wonder where I first heard the "good news" about
Science? Was it something I learned at school? Was is something I
read in a book? Maybe because my DAD knew stuff? Sadly my Mum
was deprived of real education by my grandmother who need extra
help to look after younger children, run a seaside boarding house! :o

BUT a lot of homes I go into have few BOOKS? If they do it is, at best,
"Dan Brown" or "Deepak Chopra"? Hey, at least my books on Alchemy
& Magick rub (uneasy?) shoulders with Patrick Moore & Brian Cox! :D

It's easy to sneer from the privilege of an Astronomy Forum... The
Audience of a Brian Cox gig... The luxury of a TEDx "conference"? :evil4:
The internet allows everyone to exist in a bubble of like-minds now.

Don't get too excited! lol But I meet a lot of folks who I sense might
have embraced science... They *can* understand stuff if I explain it! 
Intelligent people who seem to escaped even a *basic* education? :(

Of course, there are the "loud and proud" anti-intellectuals... They
don't "hold with clever clogs stuff" and the post 1950's  generally? :p

If only it just stopped with a flat Earth! Most also think we've not sent people into space! and all ISS footage is staged! They call Astronauts - Astronots! 

I do find myself commenting on Youtube sometimes as the flat Earthers do crop up on many space themed videos. My replies often begin with Hahahaha! 

36 minutes ago, Macavity said:

But I do start to wonder where I first heard the "good news" about Science? Was it something I learned at school? Was is something I read in a book? Maybe because my DAD knew stuff? Sadly my Mum was deprived of real education by my grandmother who need extra help to look after younger children, run a seaside boarding house! :o

At some level I think science (or the scientific method) is really a formalisation of the process of testing one's own understanding which in turn is perhaps an extension of the processes babies go through as they learn to vocalise, talk, walk and so on.  In my experience some people seem to maintain that natural questioning attitude ("How I know this?  Does it seem right?  Are there limits to how it applies?  How can I use it?" etc.) into adulthood and others seem to leave it behind, merely accepting that the first thing that appears to be correct must be the right answer (which is what leads to superstitions such as wearing lucky underpants and so on).

James

Back to the OP.  I think you can deduce from this that there really isn's a one-liner that will work; especially one that will work on all FE's.  Many (most) are simply not interested in science at all, and believe that they walk straight, can see for miles, it must be flat.  No amount of scientific evidence will persuade them to change this view, and no amount of one or two or infinite number of liners will change it either, and rightly so because they are perfectly entitled to this view, and it is only the scientific community that gets upset by it whilst they sit there laughing.

As I said earlier, and has been said above, just laugh with or at them, either is fine, say "OK" and let them trudge off on their flat road with their flat feet.

<Gently> Can "SGL" be specific as WHICH "religious" post(er) you
mean? :) I think most of us who have "been around a while" now 
dread the... "Isn't it awful thread", which serve little purpose IMO. :o

I notice some other Astronomy forums *do* add such subject as
"Astrology" and "Flat Earth" the list of banned things? I think you
might consider this too! After all it won't make us less "Scientific". ;)

P.S. Can you *mod* people who "tease" with "Brex**" refs too...  :p

P.P.S. Appreciative that this might be my valedictory post! lol But I
find a certain "edginess" around here? Personally, I'm here to have
a bit of "off duty" FUN! I am all to aware of the world problems...

27 minutes ago, JamesF said:

merely accepting that the first thing that appears to be correct must be the right answer (which is what leads to superstitions such as wearing lucky underpants and so on).

I think scientists are just as guilty of this as anyone else, especially the lucky underpants! :D

It's a hidden post. No religion ( or politics ) is a keystone of the code of conduct. It's not really very difficult is it, not to mention God, the bible or any other religious content. You can choose to do it or not. Choosing to do it results in locked or deleted threads and In some extreme cases a ban from the forum. Choosing not to do it allows often entertaining threads to run on. 

Ps we try to keep the list of banned things to a minimum as otherwise mods tend to spend all their time acting against members breaking them and less time enjoying astronomy. All we ask is a basic abstinence from a really short list of subjects and behaviours.

Hi,

This may be a slightly controversial view, but hey, this thread is for fun!

Perhaps the reason why there isn't a specific one-liner is because there really is a big issue here--we all laugh at flat-earthers, but perhaps this really is dangerous ground. While completely keeping off politics, I has observed that social media seems to be able to spread very strange views, of which flat earth/aeroplane trails are prime examples!  To me, the reason for this is because sensible debate never, or almost never, takes place in these platforms.

I would really like to see a public debate between leading (but not the stuffy or big-headed sort ;)) scientists and leading flat earthers. A sensible courteous debate in which both sides can respond to each other and have some sensible dialog. Unfortunately, so many people on both sides of the debate seem to get angry far too quickly. :( 

If there's anything which will end this nonsense, an emotion-free debate in which flat-earth assertions are systematically disproved using everyday, observational science everyone can understand certainly will.

My One-Liner is: Debate it!

P.S. Well, the mod liked it, so it cant be all that controversial! :D 

Part of me rather celebrates the fact that flat Earthers exist. I don't feel threatened by them at all. It's all part of the eccentricity of human existence. It would be a pity if such thinking were purged to the extent that only the consensus view was acceptable. 

It also rather fascinates me why they continue to believe in the face of all the evidence. I think it probably tells us something about human nature and what it actually means to know something. I also suspect that we're all capable of something similar, albeit it a much more subtle level. All sorts of interesting psychological studies have been done about how we rationalise our beliefs and choices despite evidence to the contrary. Despite what we might want to believe, we're not necessarily as rational as we think we are. 

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

At some level I think science (or the scientific method) is really a formalisation of the process of testing one's own understanding which in turn is perhaps an extension of the processes babies go through as they learn to vocalise, talk, walk and so on.  In my experience some people seem to maintain that natural questioning attitude ("How I know this?  Does it seem right?  Are there limits to how it applies?  How can I use it?" etc.) into adulthood and others seem to leave it behind, merely accepting that the first thing that appears to be correct must be the right answer (which is what leads to superstitions such as wearing lucky underpants and so on).

I suspect you are right! :) I am unashamed to admit that I didn't really discover "critical thinking"
until my mid-life (crisis? lol) and frankly I can understand the *genuine* appeal of "Easy Answers".
I hasten to add mine may come from a variety of sources! But this is a "fight without an enemy"? :p

Generally:

For better or worse, I have come to some kind of Worldview... A "Psych" lecturer at my local "Uni"
found me "Really fascinating"! lol Someone who has "Clearly thought a great deal about life"? Rofl.
But I'm still a "Council House Kid with a Physics Ph.D"? I get no kicks ridiculing "stupid people". ;)

If you want to fight with (annoying) Youtubers, do so! I understand that there are "online courses"
on how to argue with "dissenters"? But tell them what YOU think? Have THAT self confidence? :evil4:
I am just messing with a *different* idea... IMO Science CAN stand on it's own  without a "Gang".

P.S. I am not "challenging" the mods, but I hope those [IMO] set on "controversy" might think. :)

3 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

There is a very simple experiment, anyone with a camera can prove the Sun is not 32miles in diameter and at a height of 3000miles.

Take a photo just after sunrise and one as it crosses the meridian, you should see in both photos that the Sun is exactly the same size.
There is a tiny difference but if the Sun was the size and distance according to flat earthers it would have an apparent size difference
that is approximately equal to the ratio between the sines of the two angles that you took the photos at.

You can do exactly the same experiment for the Moon.

Warning
If you do attempt to photograph the Sun please take care and never look at the Sun
direct or through the camera or telescope/lens and use a proper solar filter.

Everyone knows the sun is bigger near the horizon :icon_biggrin:

I may regret this: But in all honesty folks... If you really CARE re. "Science" get off
your "internet" backside and give a TALK at e.g. your local Astro Soc? :D I have no
doubt you will get cute "one liners" HERE, but are you winning "hearts & minds"? :p

I have no "transport" now. I like to feel, having give the odd (public) talk at various
"Outreach" events, I may have made a "difference"? Anyone can do Astronomy! :)
I am too old / tired (Past "critics" were Nobel Lauareates). But POSITIVE thinking... 

11 hours ago, RayD said:

As I said earlier, and has been said above, just laugh with or at them, either is fine, say "OK" and let them trudge off on their flat road with their flat feet.

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the World was round.

Dave

Attrib: George Gershwin / Frank Sinatra

Archived