Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flat Earth one line debunks

Peco4321

I was watching the ISS spacewalk live yesterday and the site had comments flowing from all others watching but it quickly descended into a ridiculous flat earth and fake science standoff. I found myself getting angry with it all but needed some quick one line comments to throw at these idiots. I'll get you started;

What about seasons on a flat earth 

How does a flat earth form

What keeps the dangerous solar rays at bay

How can a flat earth have Aurora 

Any more one liners please??

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Tim said:

The  more food you chuck 'em, the more it encourages them.

Gotta better things to do than waste life on the willfully ignorant/deliberate trolls.

Very good point. Ignore and move on. 

53 minutes ago, Tim said:

The  more food you chuck 'em, the more it encourages them.

Gotta better things to do than waste life on the willfully ignorant/deliberate trolls.

That's absolutely spot on.  

It all started as just a joke/troll that, because of some people's 'I will follow' nature, has got out of control, with many now actually believing it.

You won't stop them and you can't reason with them (I know this from personal experience) as the foundation for everything they believe is conspiracy theory.

Leave them to it, laugh with them (or at them, whichever makes you feel better) and get on with enjoying actual science 

I found a (was it Mr. Spock?) post that: "If the world were flat, CATS would
have pushed everything off the edge" more compelling than any debate! :D

I don't get *angry* with this stuff... I do *worry* that something is very
wrong when science / rationalism / education has so failed to be inate... :o 

They have excuses for everything you can say, and they are all ridiculous. Just ignore them. Theres also those who believe the earth is a cube, still stupid but their explanation is more interesting lol.

2 hours ago, Peco4321 said:

I was watching the ISS spacewalk live yesterday and the site had comments flowing from all others watching but it quickly descended into a ridiculous flat earth and fake science standoff. I found myself getting angry with it all but needed some quick one line comments to throw at these idiots. I'll get you started;

What about seasons on a flat earth 

How does a flat earth form

What keeps the dangerous solar rays at bay

How can a flat earth have Aurora 

Any more one liners please??

To be purely argumentative, I could answer all those one-liners but it would infringe the CoC.  I probably know most of the flat earth arguments and many others that disagree with science.  But only as arguments - I am a scientist and believe that way of thinking before anyone thinks otherwise.  Most members know me and wouldn't but...

I wonder if any one person other than those astronauts/cosmonauts who have seen for themselves can prove it or indeed confirm it.  We are fed information which we can choose to believe or disbelieve.  We are told certain things are fact and others are fiction.  eg. moon shots etc. are facts and that Star Trek is fiction.

Hi,

10 hours ago, Macavity said:

My past understanding was that this was mostly a semi-humourous
TROLL to irritate those of a "scientific disposition". 

Better to ban "Astrology & Flat Earth". Much like religion&politics? :)

In my opinion, it is a troll started by people who knew quite well that less intelligent persons would believe it. The scientific community needs to view it as a challenge to keep focused and not become elitist.

There are also that "breed" of people who seem to thrive on loud arguments and rude comments.The can't be happy unless theres some controversy.

Not many, i reckon. Imagine putting that on your personal statement! "I was a member of the flat earth society for several years!" :D

I noticed on the BBC a few days ago a vid of a guy who wants to see the world look round, so he is building a steam rocket. Unfortunately, his retired back (and weight! ;)) seemed to cause some issues when he landed. The rocket only got up to a coupla thousand feet anyway. He escaped serous injury but no golfing for a while.

I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine , and his argument" that the world was flat" and NASA /governments control and hide the Truth. And have you seen the "world with your own eyes" discussion.

My response was this. You can see the moon with your own eyes. You can see planets the likes of Jupiter , mercury and Saturn ( even though it has the rings) ect  . And these all have a round shape to them. He agreed with this, therefore the overwhelming probability is the earth was round also. That got him thinking ?

Funnily enough, it was the flat earthers that prompted me to buy a telescope! I like to watch science stuff on you tube and was watching one particular programme about the Apollo missions and I noticed in the comments some arguments about NASA, fake pictures, conspiracy, etc and thought yeah right, their just trolling! But simply typing flat earth into YouTube and I couldn't believe the amount of videos on there trying to convince me that the earth is flat!! They even have a Flat Earth Society! I was astounded to see that in this day in age there are so many people that refuse to even hear sound logic and reason, instead to simply stating everything is fake and that we are all sheep etc. There is even a long video on YouTube showing a ship sail over the horizon but this too is fake apparently. I find myself getting quite angry and annoyed reading the comments. I eventually started watching some amazing videos of folk capturing footage of the ISS with just a DSLR and Dob telescopes. They were even called liars and NASA fanboys! I started looking at telescopes after that! So I suppose I should thank the flat earth community as here I am enjoying and being frustrated by this hobby with you fine folk! ?

2 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

"Four Conrners of the Earth" means the earth is a cube! :D 

Ha ha, nice one ! :) but I think you will find that a cube has an excess of corners ??

The one I dont understand, often spouted by soap-box merchants ( I am not allowed to use the P word ), is "Up and down the land" .  I've never noticed any steps ?

They'e not interested in science..all the evidence is there but it's easier to look on u tube all day and agree with a certain amount of u tubers..i like the fella who's trying to prove it's flat by launching himself up into the atmosphere..hes prob going to kill himself trying

Archived