Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flat Earth one line debunks

Peco4321

Thing is you can't get angry, that is exactly the reaction they want.  You certainly can't retaliate with a one-liner.  

All you can do is to laugh, and let them carry on with what they are perfectly entitled to do, which is to have their own beliefs.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Macavity said:

I found a (was it Mr. Spock?) post that: "If the world were flat, CATS would
have pushed everything off the edge" more compelling than any debate!

Indeed - 'twas I :biggrin:

How about "Yes, intrinsically it is flat but extrinsically it is not" might hold them for a nano second.

Regards Andrew

Oops the one liner is not true. Should have used local and global or taken the advice not to respond!

5 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

If you think flat earthers are crazy how about the ones on Youtube that believe airliners don't use any jet fuel.

Not surprising as they see clouds go in at the front and come back out again from the back as trails.  :icon_biggrin:   

Guys I have removed religious references. Please keep them out of the discussion. 

My (and it appears most people's) view on the flat Earth hypothesis is that It's ludicrous. There's enough to debate without religion being needed. 

18 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

I appreciate it is often impossible to reason with those who are so set on their belief,  what is useful however are some science based responses to those that are not so hardline. 

I certainly understand your point.  It is hard though as it is their belief, so who are we to police what they believe to be true? 

The single question I left a flat earther with following a recent meeting was to explain to me in detail why I cannot see Polaris from the Southern hemisphere.  Conversely, have a bet with them to find Sigma Octantis from any point in the UK.

Above all you don't need to prove anything, you can just say that you fully acknowledge and accept their belief, but believe yourself that there is sufficient scientific evidence to prove the earth is roundish :thumbright:

I worry why people are flat earthers.

If they were people who genuinely worried that their day to day experience didn't support the idea of a round earth, investigated and became convinced the Earth is flat, I would have some sympathy.

But this seems to be more to do with challenging orthodoxy and distrust of 'the establishment'.

As an astronomer, a flat earth really doesn't make any sense.  Having thought a lot more about this I am pretty much now convinced that I have personal proof that the earth is more or less ball shaped.  With the stars and planets etc. rotating around Polaris which is at 51° elevation a flat earth would have to be inclined at 51° and we would all fall off!!  Not that I have ever thought the earth was flat as you know.

I like to see the other person's point of view but in this case I just can't - it doesn't make sense.  Everything I have been told about the solar system and cosmos makes sense - it all fits.  So even if I wanted to believe the earth was flat the arguments for that simply "don't  compute".

Questions for Flatards:

Have you always believed the Earth is flat?
When did you first begin to believe the Earth is flat?
What was it that first led you to believe the Earth is flat?
Could the world be anything but flat?
Is it important for you to believe that the world is flat? Why?
Is it important that everyone agrees the Earth is flat? Why?
Is the idea of a round Earth incompatible with your wishes and hopes?
Why do others want us to believe the Earth is round?
How long have people believed the Earth is round?
Why did people come to believe the Earth is round?
When was it first discovered that the Earth is flat?
Who discovered the Earth is flat?

If Reality conflicts with your World View, which of the two wins?

My only ever question to a "flat earthed" is "what is to be gained from lying about the shape of the earth?" 

I have yet to have a coherent answer.

But the main thing that really annoys me when I've had conversations with these people is they have always started their argument with "I've seen this video on YouTube........."

We should lay off steam rocket guy. He only started peddling the flat Earth thing when he ran out of cash and needed to crowdfund his latest engineering adventure.

It was a brilliant move to identify a demographic who are utterly credulous and perfectly happy to give you money to prove their deluded views.

4 minutes ago, IanL said:

We should lay off steam rocket guy. He only started peddling the flat Earth thing when he ran out of cash and needed to crowdfund his latest engineering adventure.

It was a brilliant move to identify a demographic who are utterly credulous and perfectly happy to give you money to prove their deluded views.

That's actually pure genius. How can i set up a "give me your money and I'll try to prove your beliefs thing?"

I'll use all the money I'm given to get the best telescope I can, plus any other equipment that is needed. 

As the saying goes: "Do not argue with fools.  They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

They are welcome however to attempt to explain in the context of a flat earth:

How the sun can be setting in central Europe, rising on the east coast of the USA and yet it's night-time in the central Pacific, all at the same time?  (And then explain the situations eight and sixteen hours later.)

How the apparent angle of the Moon relative to the observer changes so much as one travels from north to south?

Where are the north and south magnetic poles and how does a compass behave as it is carried in a circle with the pole at the centre at each one?

"We" believe the Earth is a sphere(-ish) because it's a hypothesis that is consistent with all other relevant facts we believe, is not contradicted by any other facts we believe and makes predictions about the environment that we can then confirm by experiment and observation.  That's science.  To be worth considering, the hypothesis of a flat (or cubic, or toroidal) Earth must explain those same facts and observations at least equally as well, or demonstrate that they must in fact be incorrect, and ideally make further predictions that can be confirmed by experiment and observation that the Spherical Earth Hypothesis could not.  That's also science.  Anyone who thinks they can do that really ought to try as it's clearly an opportunity to advance science, and at the very least it should keep them out of everyone else's hair for an exceptionally long time.

James

6 hours ago, geordie85 said:

My only ever question to a "flat earthed" is "what is to be gained from lying about the shape of the earth?" 

I have yet to have a coherent answer.

But the main thing that really annoys me when I've had conversations with these people is they have always started their argument with "I've seen this video on YouTube........."

Make controversial videos get lots of views make money. ;)

So what is supposed to be 'underneath' a flat earth?

Is it claimed to be infinitely thick, or is there an other side?

Well, when I put my spirit level on the floor it says it is flat.  I could do the same thing anywhere. I think I've just proven the earth must be flat... hmmmm maybe I should make a video for Youtube and see if I can get a few likes...

20 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

If the Earth was flat there would be no need for equatorial mounts.  :icon_biggrin:

surely you need the GEM to counter the effect of the universe rotating around it's fixed central point (the flat earth) ;)

Archived