Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

51 minutes ago, badhex said:

Thanks!

I've got the same bag and it's great. Just above I posted a picture of my 120mm refractor setup. I can fit everything pictured (bar the mount and tripod) into the Oklop bag and still include space for my flat panel (video LED light), t-shirt, cables, bits and pieces, headlamp,  calipers and some hex wrenches.

Granted, I have to remove the accessories from the telescope (guide scope, powerbox, mini pc, camera and filterwheel) and collapse the dew shield, but it does all fit snuggly inside the bag. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Richard_ said:

I've got the same bag and it's great. Just above I posted a picture of my 120mm refractor setup. I can fit everything pictured (bar the mount and tripod) into the Oklop bag and still include space for my flat panel (video LED light), t-shirt, cables, bits and pieces, headlamp,  calipers and some hex wrenches.

Granted, I have to remove the accessories from the telescope (guide scope, powerbox, mini pc, camera and filterwheel) and collapse the dew shield, but it does all fit snuggly inside the bag. 

Oh wow, that's a lot of kit! Nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Delivery 2: The buy-it-while-I-can upgrade spree continues

20220805_124237.thumb.jpg.20c1b495089b1f6a411570dec851b7b4.jpg

I had a similar buy it while you can spree a few months ago. Everything is so uncertain right now, and who knows how much gear bought this year will cost next 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Canon 12 x 36 IS III image stabilised binocular 

E27E2491-1AC6-413C-A8EF-9A3BA7241EC1.thumb.jpeg.a91a769890d4f04a0f71a2707f13fb75.jpeg

65CCE851-CB3F-4A60-A1C5-8BC81AFE7F58.thumb.jpeg.55285f78252a181b5e1db96ac20f406d.jpeg

Awesome! I've had the 10x30 version since about 2016 (well before I got into this hobby) which I used during the day time. The image stabilisation is absolutely incredible, you can really concentrate on the details of what you're seeing and the batteries last a long time. I haven't used them a lot for night time observing as my seeing conditions aren't amazing, but being able to make out M31 and Jupiter with it's four Galilean moons was an eye opener for me. 

Hope you get as much enjoyment out of these as I have from mine, will be interested to hear how you get on with them 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

APM 7.7 to 15.4 Super Zoom

1EE3437C-F5E0-4E30-BECE-572CB3EEF519.thumb.jpeg.09178fd757ced2dba48903213d2585cb.jpeg

Nice! You got one. Were you always planning to or was it the good reports coming out of the forum that convinced you? I told myself I didn't need one until I started reading feedback on SGL 😅

53 minutes ago, badhex said:

Nice! You got one. Were you always planning to or was it the good reports coming out of the forum that convinced you? I told myself I didn't need one until I started reading feedback on SGL 😅

Had it in mind for a while, Joe. There are some good offers around on the 12 x 36 atm. There is a newer ver but does not get such good reviews 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Had it in mind for a while, Joe. There are some good offers around on the 12 x 36 atm. There is a newer ver but does not get such good reviews 

I actually meant the Superzoom 😅 but actually I've learnt something today as I wasn't really aware IS bins until today 🙂

24 minutes ago, badhex said:

I actually meant the Superzoom 😅 but actually I've learnt something today as I wasn't really aware IS bins until today 🙂

Ah yes, the SZ! I’ve been watching developments for months. Then the highs and lows when they were finally released. Over on CN, they seemed to be getting pretty good reports in spite of some issues. I in no hurry as I’m not a natural zoom guy. But I was intrigued to see if this might be something useful for travel. I think it is, though one might argue it’s a similar size to 2 or 3 small EPs like Tak LEs.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Ah yes, the SZ! I’ve been watching developments for months. Then the highs and lows when they were finally released. Over on CN, they seemed to be getting pretty good reports in spite of some issues. I in no hurry as I’m not a natural zoom guy. But I was intrigued to see if this might be something useful for travel. I think it is, though one might argue it’s a similar size to 2 or 3 small EPs like Tak LEs.

Yes have been lurking over there myself and reading the various feedback on a few of those threads. And obviously taking cover from the occasional Nedelin catastrophe scale disagreements as per! 

19 minutes ago, ED Splitter said:

Is it meant to click shut or just tighten to a point it won’t tighten anymore? 

I clicks as it turns to let you know it's working and you stop when the clicks stop, checking the hold of course, but you don't need to over-tighten.

See Baader instructions to confirm usage

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

So it turns out the Canon IS bins don’t come with lens caps. So I had to order some aftermarket ones. Couldn’t find Canon OEM

829A50E3-813D-40BC-882A-EF89EDF0553D.thumb.jpeg.2f956e2fb5bf551bf135c97f95b32d85.jpeg

Where did you buy these lens caps from Jeremy? I need a couple for my Pentax 20x60. Thanks   

Ian 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, badhex said:

Picked these up for about €25 which is significantly cheaper than the Celestron ones. Aside from colour and branding they look the same. We'll see if they're any good! 

20220806_110453.thumb.jpg.a7270778af3d36292a46826b8adf332a.jpg

I'll bet money they came out of the same factory the 'Celestron' ones did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

I'll bet money they came out of the same factory the 'Celestron' ones did.

The Zeta Reticulan factory? 😜

(but yes, I'm also sure) 

Edited by badhex

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Where did you buy these lens caps from Jeremy? I need a couple for my Pentax 20x60. Thanks   

Ian 

I bought them from (he whispers) Amazon, Ian.
You will need a larger size for your 60mm bins. Outs the outer diameter of the bins that’s important as the covers fit over than, not inside. My Canon IS’s have OD 58mm, so the Opticron 56-58 mm covers fit well

28 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I bought them from (he whispers) Amazon, Ian.
You will need a larger size for your 60mm bins. Outs the outer diameter of the bins that’s important as the covers fit over than, not inside. My Canon IS’s have OD 58mm, so the Opticron 56-58 mm covers fit well

Thanks Jeremy. I have the same type on my Opticron 15x70 and they’re great. My Pentax has simple push on caps which spend more time falling off than staying on. As much as I hate buying from there, needs must!

ATB  

Ian 

• Like 1

On 09/07/2022 at 17:47, PeterStudz said:

I have a sheet of aluminium, an aluminium block, four pillow bearings, a steel shaft and a flexible coupling. 

65C22E2F-B7EB-4575-AA4D-E83BA143D0F1.jpeg

A couple of toilet rolls, some gaffer tape and Hinckley C will be complete!

• Haha 2