NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Reasons to be careful with laser pointers

Stu

Looks like the irresponsible and dangerous few are resulting in laws being brought in, which can only be a good thing in the long run.

I know we are all careful but just a reminder to make sure you use your pointer in a safe way, and more importantly, keep it out of irresponsible or young hands.

Laser pen pilot attackers face jail under new law
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38871180

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I would be quite happy to obtain a licence from the Police to be able to officially use a laser for a public star party. I use a laser to show Constellations and various DSOs at public events but I am always mindful if I can see aircraft .

That's a very sensible idea Mark. The power of some of the stuff on the internet is terrifying!

In Australia (well, NSW at least) you now need a permit to have a laser pointer with power > 1mW in a public place. Members of approved astronomical societies are exempted from the permit requirement. While all that seems a good idea at first sight, I'm not too sure whether the Aussies have it right because they still have problems with idiots shining them at aircraft. I suspect that any new laws brought into UK won't have a great effect given how much success the Aussies have had.

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

......... I use a laser to show Constellations and various DSOs at public events but I am always mindful if I can see aircraft .

That was the point of the other posts we can't always see aircraft but it doesn't mean there isn't a plane there.

My DDM60 has a built-in laser for polar alignment. Living under the flight path to RAF Northolt I've never used it. We have several laser pointers in our physics dept at school. They are kept in a locked draw in my prep-room.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good move by the gov't, at least it might make the majority of people think before engaging in any nefarious activity with laser pointers.  Unfortunately there will always be the odd moron who ignores the danger of these devices, or is so far gone in 'their cups' that they've lost all reason.  For these people they get all they deserve.  For myself a little common sense, and adherence to law should permit responsible persons to use lasers for legitimate purpose.   I utilise a laserpointer primarily for initial star alignment for which it proves extemely useful, (much more comfortable than bending over a finder, a telrad or RDF) thereafter it will remain off during observing sessions, except during outreach events or when a number of fellow society members are in attendance and wish to know where my scope is pointing, in which case a judicious check of the skies is carried out prior to switching the pointer on briefly to allow people to zero in on the object being observed.   Of course its appropriate to assess your locale before using laser pointers in this way, for example if you're situated under a major flightpath common sense would dictate that risk to innocents outweighs the benefit of personal comfort :-)

I always draw parallels between laser pointers and firearms, or fishermen who utilise a knife for gutting and filleting their catch on the river bank...  There are rules which permit the use of such devices by the public, only when the public contravene these rules is there a problem, and of course there should be appropriate controls in place to ensure (as much as is possible) that this does not happen.

Kind Regards

Paul J.

The problem with handing out licences is that by the time the user has been identified the damage is done- an all out ban is the only way. I appreciate that they can be useful to allot of people but can that justify a commercial aircraft been caused to crash? Get rid.

• 3 weeks later...

Having been on the receiving end of such a laser attack in to Heathrow a few years ago I believe legislation is long overdue. I know the police are taking this very seriously and do prosecute if the owner is caught red handed but therein lies the problem.... actually catching the culprit.

It would be nice if the attitude on this forum was more prevalent in more general society as it is becoming and ever more common problem in the U.K. At least it's not got quite as bad as this in Cairo during the 'Arab spring'.....The futures is bright, the future is green....and blue

As a past 'laser aligner', as the title suggests it is only used to gain two or three star alignment. If more stars are needed then by the time two or three done the rest will be in the field of view so the laser is no longer needed. We just need people to remember to look, listen and then look and listen AGAIN to asertain that no aircraft are about then the laser'

If I wanted to buy a laser - needless to say I'd be extremely careful with it - to point out stars, constellations, etc in the sky, is a bog standard laser pen good enough or would I need one of a certain power?

It'd be useful for the grandkids and neighbours, or even for people to show me stuff! ;-)

Here in the States, there was a recent show on this. New technology for aircraft lets them detect a laser-hit and record the coordinates of the 'shooter.' Then police helocopters can be dispatched and go directly to the 'shooter's' house from the air - and ground-forces. Often this can (and is) be done so quickly that the guy is still hanging out in his yard merrily firing away when the helicopter drops out-of-the-sky over him and lights him up with a spotlight. Ha! Ha! Got'cha! :eek:

And awaaaay they go!

Dave - Responsible Laser-Owner & User

5mW is about the max that is generally "safe" (as long as you keep optics away from it). My problem is the availability of crazy powerful ones... they make "better" pointers and can *just* pop (black) balloons, but the added eye hazard is not worth it. To "burn things" your little laser needs Watts of power and even then it needs tight focussing.... proper safety interlock  and goggles land. I have seen a >20kilowatt laser up north and it lives in a huge sealed Metal box... 

i live near Heathrow and use my laser when I need to... always after a full sky check for "flashing stars" and only then for few second bursts. 

Understand the potential risks and keep safe...

PEterW

Archived