Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen 102mm f9 Fluorite

Stu

I picked this up yesterday from Ed Harrison and managed a very quick first light tonight, dodging clouds all the time.

For a relatively long scope it is lightweight and easy to handle. I popped it on my Giro-WR which, with the counterweight bar I couldn't find, will handle it easily for grab and go use.

The Vixen is a fine looking 'proper' scope. The objective, which appears to be in a collimateable cell has that classic fluorite look to it, lovely stuff. The focuser is original, and is surprisingly good; very smooth with little or no shift. I have, however ordered a Feathertouch to go on it as I really enjoy the additional control to be had with the dual speed, and just the feel!

So, first light? Not too much seen unfortunately, and the seeing was not much to write home about. Star images looked pretty clean and well collimated, I'll test more fully next time out. Vega's tiny secondary was pin sharp, and the Double Double split cleanly. Highlight for me tonight though was the Double Cluster. Often underwhelming from here, it had that lovely diamonds on velvet look to it, with tens of tiny stars just on the limit of visibility beautifully resolved.

A fairly inconclusive session all in all apart from the DC, but these scopes have an excellent reputation and it's nice just having the pleasure of owning one. I'm sure it will give me plenty of enjoyable nights observing in future.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations Stu. You won't be wanting that bit of Tak tat anymore then? ? (happy to take that off your hands for a very reasonable fee.

Sounds like it will give you some lovely views once conditions allow.

Paul

3 minutes ago, John said:

Promising start though Stu :icon_biggrin:

The Vixen R&P focusers are pretty good but I did eventually upgrade the one on my ED102SS to a Moonlite.

Two flourite scopes in your arsenal now ! :thumbright:

Thanks John. It was a bit frustrating but nice at least to get some views. The focuser appears to only take 1.25"; not sure if would take 2" with a different adaptor but I'll be sorted with the FT anyway.

7 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Congratulations Stu. You won't be wanting that bit of Tak tat anymore then? ? (happy to take that off your hands for a very reasonable fee.

Paul

Oi!  I'm first in line for the Tak Paul :tongue2:

Sounds lovely Stu and like you had a fun first half-light :smile:

Helen

Oi Mr Stu,

Congrats on the new scope, lovely piece of kit, and adding to it with a FT. You don't hang about, do you.

One question, i thought you were keeping your arsenal small?

Some people may accuse you of being a flibbertigibbet when it come to scopes.:wink: Not me though, you seem to have a good eye - no pun intended:happy11:

Enjoy

10 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Paul

Cheers Paul. OK then ;)

Probably a bit of luxury having the two, but something in me has wanted a longer focal  length scope for quite a while and this fits the bill very nicely.

12 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Oi Mr Stu,

Congrats on the new scope, lovely piece of kit, and adding to it with a FT. You don't hang about, do you.

One question, i thought you were keeping your arsenal small?

Some people may accuse you of being a flibbertigibbet when it come to scopes.:wink: Not me though, you seem to have a good eye - no pun intended:happy11:

Enjoy

My apologies Ian. I do seem to change around quite a bit, but I think I'm gradually getting to know what I like.

Circumstances have eased a little so I've been able to add a few little extras to my collection. With apologies to Helen and Paul, I'm pretty sure the Tak is a lifer, and I think the 12" dob is likely to be around a long time, but we will see about the rest, it depends how much use they get. I've treated myself to an AZEQ5 which is much more manageable than the 6 weight wise but should take the scopes I have quite easily.

16 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Sounds good Stu. I look forward to your full report. I have always fancied one of these. It just looks like a proper scope.

Thanks John. I'll put some pics up soon. I might try it on my Vixen GP mount, might go quite nicely on there.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

My apologies Ian. I do seem to change around quite a bit, but I think I'm gradually getting to know what I like.

Circumstances have eased a little so I've been able to add a few little extras to my collection. With apologies to Helen and Paul, I'm pretty sure the Tak is a lifer, and I think the 12" dob is likely to be around a long time, but we will see about the rest, it depends how much use they get. I've treated myself to an AZEQ5 which is much more manageable than the 6 weight wise but should take the scopes I have quite easily.

No need to apologise, enjoy:hello2:

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks John. It was a bit frustrating but nice at least to get some views. The focuser appears to only take 1.25"; not sure if would take 2" with a different adaptor but I'll be sorted with the FT anyway.

The FT is superb - I thought the Moonlites were very good but my Lzos 130 has an FT and it's a step up again :icon_biggrin:

I seem to recall that some 102FL's had a larger focuser than others but I can't recall which was which. There were 2 slightly different focal lengths in the 102 FL's as well I think.

16 minutes ago, John said:

The FT is superb - I thought the Moonlites were very good but my Lzos 130 has an FT and it's a step up again :icon_biggrin:

I seem to recall that some 102FL's had a larger focuser than others but I can't recall which was which. There were 2 slightly different focal lengths in the 102 FL's as well I think.

Yes, I agree. I have one on the Tak and it's lovely :) 

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Cheers Paul. OK then ;)

Probably a bit of luxury having the two, but something in me has wanted a longer focal  length scope for quite a while and this fits the bill very nicely.

When my wife asks me if I'd like tea or coffee, I can never make up my mind and she walks off in a huff and makes me hot chocolate. Goodness knows how I'd handle the stress of having two fluorite refractors to choose from. I think it would be brain overload! ?

Mike

17 minutes ago, Merlin said:

Just to mention Vega from your first post Stu. You describe it as a double.  Did you mean the Double-Double, Epsilon Lyrae?

I did actually mean Vega Merlin. It is a widely spaced double with the secondary being mag 9.5. Not dissimilar in brightness to Polaris' secondary but at about 4.5 times the separation.

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

When my wife asks me if I'd like tea or coffee, I can never make up my mind and she walks off in a huff and makes me hot chocolate. Goodness knows how I'd handle the stress of having two fluorite refractors to choose from. I think it would be brain overload! ?

Mike

It'll be interesting to see how it matches up to the Tak....

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes indeed that will be very interesting, be sure to let everyone know how they measure up! Congrats on the fine edition Stu, I very much approve of long focus fracs, especially fluorite ones! :)

49 minutes ago, Stu said:

It will be interesting to see what your take on their side by side performance is. I had the opportunity to compare the FC100DC with a FL102 April before last. It was a very enjoyable evening! ?

Mike

That will be an interesting comparison. Both scopes have objective lenses which are made to a very similar prescription by the same manufacturer I believe. The different focal ratios are the principle difference I'd have thought. I guess the coatings will be different as well. Does the Vixen actually have coatings on the flourite element ?

Somehow I doubt that the 2mm aperture difference will show much but you never know !

Dream scope there matey  ! These scopes were made with care and quality in mind.

Be interesting to try it against my old 102. I posted a few challenges down in double stars . Termine's around, one of my favourite ticklish ones !

clear skies,

old Nick.

Archived