SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen 102mm f9 Fluorite

Stu

1 hour ago, John said:

That will be an interesting comparison. Both scopes have objective lenses which are made to a very similar prescription by the same manufacturer I believe. The different focal ratios are the principle difference I'd have thought. I guess the coatings will be different as well. Does the Vixen actually have coatings on the flourite element ?

Somehow I doubt that the 2mm aperture difference will show much but you never know !

The FL102 Steinheil design originally helped protect the rear fluorite element from moisture, as in both the Vixens and the original Tak FC's only the font element was coated, the fluorite was uncoated. With the FS series produced by Tak, or rather Canon, technology allowed the front fluorite element to be hard multicoated. In the new FC100's the rear fluorite element is multicoated. The new FC differs also from the previous OG's in that its mating element is some new eco glass. 

Mike

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a nice little session with this scope the other night. Seeing conditions were not ideal, probably due to the very cold weather and the resulting convection currents off the houses. Had I been able to stay up until the early hours I'm sure it would have settled down.

Anyway, some very nice views of familiar objects. It does seem to resolve the fainter stars to beautiful pin points, objects like M38 and 36 were lovely. Later on Castor resolved very nicely, not a difficult one of course but pure white stars with that 'bull's eye' target look to them.

M42 was lovely, I mainly concentrated on the Trapezium and managed the E star intermittently but I'm sure it will do under the right conditions.

Once I have fully sorted my AZEQ5, I will put it side by side with the Tak. From memory I would say the Tak is better but I need to check under the same conditions etc

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7470.JPG

Archived