Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hi from alicante

alacant

I've learned a lot from the forum and find it very helpful. I looked a lot before I had the courage to join myself. The things I find mst confusing are those equipment lists which follow each post. They are the same for every post a user makes. Do we need these lists? I've no idea what purpose they serve and as far as I can see (admittedly I'm still very novice) they have nothing to do with the thread. It's just as confusing on the cloudynights forum but even more techho there. I started to google some of the stuff, but it takes ages. As a newcomer it makes you feel quite inadequate!

Hello and welcome. The purpose of the equipment list is to let others know what you are using so that others can relate an image or whatever to specific equipment and you can see if someone has equipment similar to yours and how they use it. You don't have to include it but it may help others to answer any queries that you might have.

Peter

Welcome Alacant. As Peter says, the equipment list is to let others know what gear you have and serves to put the post in context for better understanding.

I also have a sneaking feeling some of us like to show off what we've got.

No need to feel inadequate. Although I've got a list I'm still deeply jealous of some of the stuff some people have got and think most of them are making it up!

Best wishes and seasons greetings

Jason

Welcome, Alacant.

There's no need to feel inadequate. Compared to some on this forum most of us are inadequate: there are quite a few very experienced and knowledgeable people in SGL. And although I'm not envious of anyone's list of equipment, I am envious of their depth of experience.

Just have fun.

I also have a sneaking feeling some of us like to show off what we've got.

There may be more than a grain of truth in that, Jason. :)

Hi and welcome to the stargazers lounge.

The lists are called signatures. They can also be of help when one is asking advice on buying kit by showing other members what you already have so they don't advise you to buy whet you already have.

As you can see mine is simply my name as I've finished buying kit now ;)

Hi and welcome to the stargazers lounge.

The lists are called signatures. They can also be of help when one is asking advice on buying kit by showing other members what you already have so they don't advise you to buy whet you already have.

As you can see mine is simply my name as I've finished buying kit now ;)

he thinks he has :grin:  but as steve and the rest say, if they comment on seeing something and you/others cant it might be down to the equipment they are using. welcome to sgl as well

Hi Alacant and welcome to SGL, by now you will have some indication why the signature list was introduced, but it is not mandatory and some choose not to declare what equipment they are using anyway. If ever the need arises, the poster can describe in thread, the equipment in use, should it be relevant. There is a wealth of information for you to tap into in the various sections, enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. Like many others here, I don't list my scopes or other equipment unless it is beneficial to what is being discussed. You don't have to use a signature or like me you might want to use the space to write a funny quotation or some wise words - it's totally up to you really.  :smiley:

Clear skies for now and look forward to answering your questions as they arise under the relevant sections.  :icon_salut:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for your replies. It's good being here and I'm learning loads. Reading the previous posts has helped me with the vocabulary and the levels of understanding for the other forum sections. I even got as far as taking a photo and whilst being far from perfect, was delighted when it didn't have those awful spikes sticking out of every star. I remember my father having one of those starry-effect filters for his camera and using it for everything. It put me off forever!

Archived