Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show Us Your Dob.....

Derek those Dobs look fantastic. I must admit that the Orion Dob bases are much more handy than the very heavy MDF solid bases that come with many scopes. I will be interested when you transfer the Moonlite over to the 8" Orion whether you need to drill any holes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Derek those Dobs look fantastic. I must admit that the Orion Dob bases are much more handy than the very heavy MDF solid bases that come with many scopes. I will be interested when you transfer the Moonlite over to the 8" Orion whether you need to drill any holes.

I will hopefully get onto that today, Mark, and will report back. The Moonlite radius blocks have quite a few mounting holes so I am hoping some of those line up :smile:

2 hours ago, DRT said:

It did take a while to get them in line, Stu, but thanks for comparing me to Bernie :rolleyes2:

Whilst I would be happy to have his money - I'm not sure I want to be 92 just yet, even considering some of the other benefits...

Bernie-Ecclestone-and-his-wife-Fabiana-200x300.jpg

It's hard to understand quite what is so attractive about the short ugly billionaire with relatively few years left isn't it? ;) 

This is actually what came to mind when I saw your scopes lined up :)

image.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stu said:

It's hard to understand quite what is so attractive about the short ugly billionaire with relatively few years left isn't it? ;) 

This is actually what came to mind when I saw your scopes lined up :)

image.jpeg

Yes, I remember Mrs Merton asking Debbie McGee that same question :smile:

The Grand Prix trucks are very impressive. I remember seeing them up close at Spa a couple of years ago and being amazed at the precision and distinct lack of anything more than about six months old!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Here it is, Mark, with the Moonlite and "Mark's Knobs" fitted and ready for action...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had to drill new holes but it was an easy enough job. 

All I need now is a clear sky :wink:

• Like 5

@DRT  - Derek that looks excellent. Thanks for the info on drilling - I had a feeling that members have stated in the past that holes needed to be drilled in Orion scopes. I am sure that will be the case for my Orion VX8.

Now the forecast looks okay for tonight so you should be able to give this and the VX12 a good test. For my part I am going looking for DSOs in Cepheus using the 12" but I want to test the Orion VX6L on some doubles - Zeta Hercules could be a good challenge.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

@DRT  - Derek that looks excellent. Thanks for the info on drilling - I had a feeling that members have stated in the past that holes needed to be drilled in Orion scopes. I am sure that will be the case for my Orion VX8.

Now the forecast looks okay for tonight so you should be able to give this and the VX12 a good test. For my part I am going looking for DSOs in Cepheus using the 12" but I want to test the Orion VX6L on some doubles - Zeta Hercules could be a good challenge.

Mark,

worth noting that I was able to drill the holes using a low power, battery operated hand drill due to the thin and soft aluminium of the OO tube. That prevented lots of shards of metal flying around inside the tube, which is helpful. 

I wont be getting the scopes out tonight unless this wind disappears :rolleyes2:

Derek

@DRT Wot you need now is a decent 16" OOUK to finish the collection.

Knowing your hatred of owning sets of eyepieces, scopes etc.......

They are great scopes & bases. Light and pretty good quality. 

Pauk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

@DRT Wot you need now is a decent 16" OOUK to finish the collection.

Knowing your hatred of owning sets of eyepieces, scopes etc.......

They are great scopes & bases. Light and pretty good quality. 

Pauk

You might be on to something there, Paul.

But isn't the sequence 8, 12, 18, 27, 40.5? :evil:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd post a pic of Dobbie. It's the trusty SW 200P but nodded with flocking, lazy Susan bearing, roller bearings on altitude, Gemrad angle finder on azimuth and a wixey for the altitude. Not had it out in months due to weather and working nights unfortunately.

Dobbie.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Yeah should use it more really

Good on ya Shane. It's like riding a bike, you don' t forget where all those treasures are...

I've had a Dob 'sabbatical' since April and I am in love all over again. Only studied 7 targets before the cloud came in but at least I got out there. :) Was too busy reacquainting myself with old friends...

What is the FL of your scope? You tower over it!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have posted this elsewhere but thought I would add it to the thread.

A VX12L f5.3 with 1/8th wave mirrors, 0.987 Strehl bought from Mike73. Yet to have my first light with it but hopefully sometime soon.

IMG_6433.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6440.JPG

IMG_6441.JPG

IMG_6442.JPG

IMG_6443.JPG

IMG_6444.JPG

• Like 8