Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show Us Your Dob.....

• 9 months later...

My latest dob, Orion Optics 8" f8 1/10th wave on an OD mount and a Watch House EQ Platform. I've wanted one of these for a long time and am enjoying the simplicity in use and contrast of the views.

20190712_193559.jpg

20190711_204050.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Nice Stu!

Have you had a chance to compare the views with your Mewlon yet?

Not directly yet Geoff. I do think the planets may be a little better in the dob because of the smaller obstruction but until I put them side by side I don't know if it is just seeing conditions. Watch this space!

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Very pleased with this beauty

Welcome Garry! I have the 500p. Be prepared to be amazed if you haven't used it yet! Get thy hands on a 21mm Ethos when you can. They were made for these scopes. The Veil is incredible with a good OIII. I mainly use the 21mm, a 36mm Baader (not bad actually, esp for price) and a Leica zoom. I also have a a Baader 17.5 Morpheus, 13mm Ethos and a 9mm Delite plus a 2x powermate and a ES coma corrector, which I only really use with the 21mm or 13mm. A decent but relatively small collection, not any other EP's I need. and some overlap here for sure.

I carefully trimmed small notches in the primary mirror cover so I can remove it when the truss rods are in place. I removed the two spring-loaded truss-tightening handles at the bottom that can't turn fully because of the base and just use a 12mm socket on a 1/4" ratchet. Much faster. ALso taped up the ends of the GOTO cable after drawing blood half a dozen times.

If you use battery power, I picked up a Yuasa leisure battery 70Ah from Tanya battery UK for £62, plenty of power for dew prevention and GOTO all night long.

These scopes thrive in dark sky conditions and are actually fairly portable once you've set it up a couple of times. I use small tie downs to hold it gently but securely in my van when transporting to dark sites.

I'm going for the Cocoon and Horsehead nebulas as soon as the moon wanes enough and I get my hands on a decent Hb filter this week.

I haven't used mine a ton, but if you have any questions, ask away.

Happy observing!

CA479-1.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Ships and stars yes the views will be wonderful this was FLO demo model so had all the niggles sorted They are surprisingly easy to set up and move around and the motor drives are superb I couldn’t possibly believe they would be so quite to I have a few 100° eyepieces and a 21mm is one of them so will give it a try just waiting for those clear nights now  these scopes do seem rare on here  I do remember being tempted by yours when it went up for sale the first couple times nearly pulled the trigger twice myself it was a bargain as was this one how do find the collimation does it hold well I’ve not had chance for a really good first light yet hoping on my week off coming up soon 

• Like 1

This is my Skywatcher 400P in action earlier this evening. It was trained on the M2 Globular Cluster at the time of the image.

PS Please don't laugh at my homemade 'drag' (😆)off roof observatory made out of old decking boards,....it is functionable. 

400P161019.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello again. It's been a few years since I posted on here. In fact I was deleting some old bookmarks when I came across this one.

I feel guilty...this hasn't moved from this corner in years :( I made the absolute noob mistake of buying the most expensive/complicated scope I could (after many months of reading/research!) and I just got swapped/lost in the complexity of it all. Since buying it in early 2016 it's seen the outside twice.

I'm coming around to the idea of getting some use from the €1300 I spent on it. Just need to get my ass in gear and actually do some reading! Got too comfy in my hifi hobby to go outside and freeze my sac off..

IMG_20191120_184753[1].jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 26/12/2016 at 16:09, John said:

Some new pics of my 12" F/5.3 Orion Optics dob because it's out cooling under a clear sky :icon_biggrin:

oo12dob01.JPG

oo12dob02.JPG

oo12dob03.JPG

oo12dob04.JPG

Hi John.

Total newbie here so apologies in advance for the daft questions. What is the shield for on your scope? Is this for Dew or to shield unwanted light?

I only ask as I have a Skywatcher 200p and am trying to improve its performance. If this helps with blocking out unwanted light I would be interested in installing one on my scope. Did you make it yourself?

I would also be interested to know how much of an improvement changing the focuser to a Moonlite model made? I am quite interested in one for a more refined focus as I currently have the standard Skywatcher unit. However the cost of a Moonlite focuser might be a bit over kill in relation to my scope?

Stunning dob you have there by the way. It looks like you have really nice setup.  I bet you get some ace views with your eye pieces.

Thank you

Barry

• 2 months later...
On 26/05/2015 at 18:53, deepspacehunter said:

My 12" DOB...... my favorite Telescope EVER.....

Markpost-15801-0-46997100-1432684326_thumb.j

That's a very nice Dob ! In the4 past i was going to get that same one but they didn't make it anymore and i couldn't find a second on the web for sale . Where did you buy yours from ?