SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show Us Your Dob.....

36 minutes ago, Frank the Troll said:

As to F ratio, mirror set was brought as F4.7 but the seller could easily have been wrong, bet either way, it does give some pretty good views

Definitely looks like an f8 to me, nice views I'm sure :) 

• Like 1

How about a potential dob? Ingredients below...  :D

Hoping to convert my Skywatcher 400p to a full truss...the company I work for gave me some 1 inch thick wood (very old spruce with some mega tight grain...) shelving that had been used in a laboratory for >50 years and was about to go to landfill...some pieces were warped but the rest were stable.

Mirror and rocker boxes have been weight tested and are very strong.

Still a long way to go but I am really looking forward to getting this made. I want to be able to take a decent size dob out in the wilds and still fit in a small car, or even hand pulled in a trolley...hoping to save some of the timber for my guitar building! All wood will be painted matt black and over-coated with exterior varnish.

IMG_2838.JPG.184e78e5b8b07f975ab9e2d996a0bbc1.JPG

Edited by Beulah
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Frank the Troll said:

I brought the mirror set off astro buy sell, at the time it was listed as F4.7 but could easily be different

The pic is the old cell it was in, quite a big heavy lump of metal, now replaced with a wooded 9 point

old mirror cell.jpg

That looks just like the older type Synta 10" mirror cell  :icon_scratch:

23 hours ago, Beulah said:

How about a potential dob? Ingredients below...  :D

Hoping to convert my Skywatcher 400p to a full truss...the company I work for gave me some 1 inch thick wood (very old spruce with some mega tight grain...) shelving that had been used in a laboratory for >50 years and was about to go to landfill...some pieces were warped but the rest were stable.

Mirror and rocker boxes have been weight tested and are very strong.

Still a long way to go but I am really looking forward to getting this made. I want to be able to take a decent size dob out in the wilds and still fit in a small car, or even hand pulled in a trolley...hoping to save some of the timber for my guitar building! All wood will be painted matt black and over-coated with exterior varnish.

Where's ya build thread Sam? ;) 

• Like 2

Just finished putting together my first Dob.
A slightly tweaked 200P that will serve as a mobile scope in dob form and can easily be converted for use on the EQ Mount in the observatory.
The mount has been entirely made from left over off-cuts, the mount in total cost about £9 to build and uses a 12" LP for the Az bearing.

Scope and focuser have been flocked, secondary adjustment bolts upgraded, secondary mirror blackened, Standard focuser tube adaptor replaced with a TS low profile M54 to 2" adaptor and an electronic focuser installed. Hoping to sort out an Az setting circle and inclinometer over the coming days.

The scope has been collimated and I have just finished putting together a full aperture solar filter for it. Looking forward to getting this out and testing now.

59a34f8b60b4e_IMG_20170827_2322291.thumb.jpg.d9bfc86ce9dd61cc237b65ba2f2c35d0.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My new SIPS comma corrector arrived from FLO today and is now fitted to the VX12 F4 ?IMG_0468.thumb.JPG.68b3a7032f9cd895dfcca92558384ea2.JPG

The focuser assembly is now a hefty lump but I must say it is as solid as a rock. I've still to adjust the SIPS to the correct focus point so I'm not sure whether or not the riser will still be necessary but from reading the instructions I suspect it will be. 

Looking forward to using it and there should be a very nice Paracorr Mk II appearing in the classified section soon ?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, John said:

That looks very impressive Derek :thumbright:

It's going to be quite a stack with a big 2" eyepiece in the focuser. No chance of tube flex with the weight out that far is there ?

I don't think so John. By the time I do the adjustment I expect it to be roughly the same length as with the Mk II and that didn't give me any problems. I've also switched from Ethos to Delos eyepieces so that will lighten the load considerably ?

• Like 1

On 27 May 2015 at 20:54, -Aldebaran- said:

All you fellas with ya big guns!!!

Someone should start a topic for the little dobs of the family, poor 8"ers feeling left out!

Wish I kept my 8" back along, but moved to a smaller house at the time so went 8" SCT. 

1 hour ago, DRT said:

.... I've also switched from Ethos to Delos eyepieces so that will lighten the load considerably ?

The longer FL's are certainly lighter but the 8 and 6 Delos actually weigh a touch more than the equivilent Ethos, rather to my surprise.

I have the 17.3 Delos and it's a very nice eyepiece :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New glass arrived yesterday (Skyliner 200P)! I've spent a few hours today learning to collimate it (Astro Baby's guide has been super helpful for this) - didn't need to touch the secondary but all will be proven at first light. My only gripe I have so far is that the eyepiece storage is slightly too close to the mount for some of my fatter 1.25" EPs so I think some washers will be going on to space it away a little bit. Apologies for the cloudy skies!

20170930_144407.thumb.jpg.ac90dc1bf0d1a7a1e2ecb6d66cf74654.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I've had my Lukehurst dob a little over a month now and have used it precisely zero times due to work commitments and booked social events. Until tonight.

Tonight is when I discover I probably require better quality eyepieces and possibly a coma corrector due to the shorter focal length of F4.62 ....oh dear.....swmbo won't be happy ?.

I know I need to invest in a shroud, and a 12v supply for the secondary heater.

Very looking forward to first light. Report to follow. 

Ally

20180414_161602.jpg

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Ally8446 said:

I've had my Lukehurst dob a little over a month now and have used it precisely zero times due to work commitments and booked social events. Until tonight.

Tonight is when I discover I probably require better quality eyepieces and possibly a coma corrector due to the shorter focal length of F4.62 ....oh dear.....swmbo won't be happy ?.

Ally

20180414_161602.jpg

Very very Nice ?

Some Pentax XW or Delos would work a treat on that scope. Start saving ☺

2 hours ago, Ally8446 said:

Ally

20180414_161602.jpg

Nice one Ally looking forward to the first light report. Weather has come good too :thumbright:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ally8446 said:

Ally

20180414_161602.jpg

Lovely Dob Ally, nowt like a big new scope to disturb the marital bliss :grin:

They're a bit hard to sneak under the radar which is why I haven't got one.

Will we get to see it at SGL18 ?

Dave

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Lovely Dob Ally, nowt like a big new scope to disturb the marital bliss :grin:

They're a bit hard to sneak under the radar which is why I haven't got one.

Will we get to see it at SGL18 ?

Dave

You're correct in that assumption @Davey-T, got four days booked for SGLSP ??

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ally8446 said:

Ally

20180414_161602.jpg

Congrats - what a beaut!! :headbang:

• 3 months later...