Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show Us Your Dob.....

1 hour ago, Daniel-K said:

Did you sort the secondary or leave it?

Left it as it is for now Dan. I'll have a think before doing anything major to sort it. Views were great as it is. Thanks for all your time checking it out and getting it as good as you did. ??

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mapstar !! great scope man...i mean, beyond great ! What an accomplishment :D Kudos.....

I have been busy myself today building a model of an EQ Dob from scratch, almost finished.

To be fair this is a to scale working model of the EQ wedge rocker box system i am building to accompany a 12" F5 Revelation OTA very soon.

Not strictly a dob for this thread but a dob in principle :) lol

I will become a fully fledged dob member soon hahaha

Lee.

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Cheers Lee. The journey has been something to cherish 

What you have there matey is a dream to behold !! It should be at Kit Peak lol really though....It is awe inspiring. Envy don't cover it lol makes my little model i built today look like a preschool project my 5yr old daughter attends lol spot on pal. Spot on ?

9 minutes ago, LeeRich said:

What you have there matey is a dream to behold !! It should be at Kit Peak lol really though....It is awe inspiring. Envy don't cover it lol makes my little model i built today look like a preschool project my 5yr old daughter attends lol spot on pal. Spot on ?

Thanks for the kind words Lee it has taken a while.

Great things have small and humble beginnings so don't knock what you've already done.

Everything was in my head so not even a mock up of what I wanted to do unlike yours which is a wise move. Mine is still a dob at the end of the day.

I've added a post to your thread and I will be following your progress with great interest popping in to lend a thought and for the joy of seeing the journey unfold.

12 minutes ago, mapstar said:

I've added a post to your thread and I will be following your progress with great interest popping in to lend a thought and for the joy of seeing the journey unfold.

Thanks Damian....i will need extra eyes...looking at a project from another perspective all aids a good outcome, even for a relatively simple idea as my build is.

Appreciate the input :D

Lee.

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well add mine now all the mods have been finished, Explore Scientific 12" Ultralight truss, filled in cage with kydex, rotated focuser position to my preference, DIY light shroud and wheeled levelling base - which also raises the focuser height to save me bending too much to view. 

12truss.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Finally i can join this illustrious group :D  This beast came yesterday, built it today, not seen the sky yet but by heck lad...i cant wait lol :p

DSC_0112.JPG

my dobstuff 16 f4.5 I finally got around to finishing. Anyone considering a dobstuff I can highly recommend. These are a pleasure to work on and upgrade - very easy to transport and assemble.

dobby n puddy.jpg

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, quaoar said:

my dobstuff 16 f4.5 I finally got around to finishing. Anyone considering a dobstuff I can highly recommend. These are a pleasure to work on and upgrade - very easy to transport and assemble.

dobby n puddy.jpg

What is it with cats and power packs?  My cat mooches round my power pack all the time too!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

24 hours after I bought the OO UK base for the SW 200P shown above I saw an advert for an OO UK 8" Dob at a remarkable price, so I bought it.

Tonight, ladies and gentlemen, we have Dobfest in Derbeshire...

IMG_0042.JPG

The SW200P will soon be up for sale with the OO mount and single-speed Crayford but I need to swap the focusers over first.

• Like 13

33 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Derek, you are getting a pretty big collection of scopes, how many and which is your favorite scope? 

Believe it or not, Jules, I have been trying to cut down the number of scopes recently but they just keep popping up :grin:

The SW200P shown above will go soon and I will keep the two OO UK Dobs. The VX12 is a clear favourite out of those two but the 8" will be very handy as a grab-n-go and also to place at the other end of my garden to give me more sky to play with.

I sold two fracs recently so I am now down to the TV Pronto, ED120, Altair 152 and Evo 150. I don't count the Polarex-Unitron 60mm as it is a collection piece rather than a scope I use. The Altair 152 is my favourite for use with my Quark. The Evo 150 is my favourite for use with the Baader Wedge and the ED120 is my favourite all-rounder and for planetary viewing due to the absence of CA. I am not entirely sure why I have the TV Pronto other than the fact it is the most beautifully engineered scope I own. I do sometimes use it with the Quark and a focal reducer to get a whole-disk view.

Then there is the C11. There is something quite inspiring about seeing half a million resolved stars in M13 filling the field of view of an Ethos 21mm :smile:

You see, not too many at all and the all have their special uses :grin:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 3

On 22 May 2016 at 07:19, quaoar said:

dobby n puddy.jpg

Nice one quaoar, looks great. Your cat is going to get a shock any minute though! ;) 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, DRT said:

24 hours after I bought the OO UK base for the SW 200P shown above I saw an advert for an OO UK 8" Dob at a remarkable price, so I bought it.

Tonight, ladies and gentlemen, we have Dobfest in Derbeshire...

IMG_0042.JPG

The SW200P will soon be up for sale with the OO mount and single-speed Crayford but I need to swap the focusers over first.

Derek, I bet you were like Bernie Ecclestone lining his mega motor homes up in the paddock with those scopes, weren't you? They look millimetre perfect :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Derek, I bet you were like Bernie Ecclestone lining his mega motor homes up in the paddock with those scopes, weren't you? They look millimetre perfect :)

It did take a while to get them in line, Stu, but thanks for comparing me to Bernie :rolleyes2:

Whilst I would be happy to have his money - I'm not sure I want to be 92 just yet, even considering some of the other benefits...

Bernie-Ecclestone-and-his-wife-Fabiana-200x300.jpg

• Like 1