Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show Us Your Dob.....

On 24/09/2016 at 21:41, Singlin said:

Great looking scopes guys!

I am new to the Dob scene after finishing my 16" 1760. Telekit with John Nichols mirrors and Hi lux coatings

I use a Parcorr and skycommander.

IMG_20160821_184415.jpg

IMG_20160821_184234.jpg

I don't know whether to be more envious of the scope or the location. Great but of kit you've got there. 

• Like 3

Heh heh now I am on the frac list and the dob list too.  Decided not to mess about and went straight to 16" in the form of an Orion Optics VX16 with 1/10th mirrors.

It's got the milk carton mod.  I've added Mark's colliimation knobs and an OOUK friction brake.  I'm about to flock it and mount an ST80 as a finder/co-axial richfield scope with an ES 100 degree 20mm EP to give x20 and 5 degrees TFOV.  

I have made a dew shield out of 3mm  foam folded to double the thickness, but is a bit floppy still and may need to be revisited (not pictured).  Should I create a new dew shield  in 5mm or 8mm or maybe even thicker (camping mat)?  Needs to be stiff enough not to flop and obstruct the light path.

IMAG0070[1].jpgIMAG0068[1].jpg

Edited by Commanderfish
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, DRT said:

That's a very interesting secondary mount, @John. Was that fitted by OOUK or is it your own creation? What is the effect on the star images?

It's a OO fitted one. Back in 2006 when the scope was made it was an option but OO don't do them now. The effect on images is that you don't see diffraction spikes. Diffraction is still happening of course but it's dissipated across the whole field. They were fitted when I got the scope but it's performed very well for me so I'm happy with them :icon_biggrin:

As far as I can detect the dissipated diffraction does not cause a lighter background sky but I guess I would need to be able to compare my scope "back to back" with one of the same spec with conventional secondary vanes to be sure.

I'm sure your views will be at least as good as mine, maybe a tad better if your coatings are new. My primary was re-coated and re-Hiluxed in 2010 by OO.

I've had nice views of Venus, Mars and Neptune so far this evening - I have a feeling that it's going to be a good one :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some stunning dobs in this thread. This is my Meade Lightbridge 250 truss dob.

I've shrouded everything I can think of in my ongoing attempt to delay the inevitable dew/ice formation.  My original intention was to avoid the hassle of heaters, cables, power cells, etc. but..... still a work in progress.

John

IMG_6167.JPG

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Enjoy Derek

I wouldn't leave it unattended in conditions like those experienced where where we where we met yesterday!

Absolutely! Even from my short look at the Moon at low mag I can tell that this beasty doesn't like the wind! :smile:

I just tweaked the collimation, which was dead easy and hadn't gone off to much as a result of its trip over the Pennines.

Just need it to stay clear now, although I don't think I'll be out long given how fast the temperature is dropping :icon_rendeer:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brantuk said:

Finally got round to fixing my Christmas pressie Moonlite focuser on the LB 16" - Now I just have to paint the rocker box the same colour - hopefully spend some time in the garage when it gets a bit warmer:

image1 (5).JPG

You've got to love those red Moonlites! :cool2:

• Like 3

On 4 January 2017 at 19:50, DRT said:

You've got to love those red Moonlites! :cool2:

Mine is Black!! Still think that I should have been brave and gone for a red one!

I too refuse to get dragged into the finder "arms race".

Paul

• Like 2

The Moonlite on my dob is black too but the ones on my refractors are red ! :icon_biggrin:

Whatever the colour they are fine focusers !

Edit: apologies - I mentioned the "r" word in a dob thread :rolleyes2:

Edited by John
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, John said:

The Moonlite on my dob is black too but the ones on my refractors are red ! :icon_biggrin:

Whatever the colour they are fine focusers !

Edit: apologies - I mentioned the "r" word in a dob thread :rolleyes2:

I have a black one on my 120ED and have often thought of trying to swap it for a red one :rolleyes2:

A "Show Us Your Focusers" might be getting a bit obsessive, even for me!

John - Given your previous good record demonstrated over 12,000+ posts. We'll write the "R" blunder off as an honest mistake which is entirly out of character.

Paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

A "Show Us Your Focusers" might be getting a bit obsessive, even for me!

Indeed. I think a line has to be drawn under the "Show us your..." genre of threads before we breach the bounds of common decency :rolleyes2: