SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show Us Your Dob.....

I'm a little embarrassed to put my first scope up :) ...just a small 6"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'd have been delighted to have a 6" dob as a 1st scope :smiley:

Back when I started the most I could get was a 60mm refractor. Fortunately it showed me enough to get me hooked on the hobby. Your 6" has loads of capability and can be moved easily to dark skies if required.

• Like 3

Nothing to be embarrassed about with that scope, Parkini, there is good reason why it is one of the most popular beginner scopes on the market :wink:

You should get some great views through that when he clouds clear!

• Like 1

It's been fully rebuilt by Dave Juckem so is basically as good as new - I love it. 

When Dave had it I asked him to adapt it so it would balance with my big heavy 31mm Nagler; he did this by lining the base of the sphere with lead shot. It works a treat, but I'm now wishing I'd reserved the 31mm Nagler for my Tak as it's made the Portaball much heavier than it was. I'm going to ask him if this could be done, but if not, no worries. 

There are some really nice telescopes in this thread. :)

Big or small, it's nice to read that everyone is happy with their instruments and excited to get more and more in touch with the universe! Every telescope discarding its aperture, offers us a fantastic window to heaven and thankfully we live in a time where these are affordable to common people.

I believe the next step is work out a way so that countries reduce light pollution, which would also be a sensible thing for the economy and for the planet where we live!

Anyway, here is my newtons:

8" F6, a very powerful telescope to me!

4.5" F8 (now stolen by my sister :) ), my first telescope bought 16 years ago. A telescope that despite of its size, showed me a hint of nebulosity forming the Pacman nebula (with an OIII filter).

post-36931-0-62505700-1451930848_thumb.j

post-36931-0-02817300-1451930884_thumb.j

Edited by Piero
  • Like 5

"Darling, show them my Dob..."

Rachel with The Dob

A 6'' - small as they go, but it's a good one - I've roved the Virgo cluster, teased out those low-down Messiers and observed the wonders of the solar system with this bad boy. Shame I've actually managed some of my best views with the short-tube refractor in the corner...
I'm also eyeing up some of those tasty looking portable Dob designs there. I can already see the space in the living room... I need to go and see someone about these symptoms of a nasty fever.
Thanks,
Paul
Edited by dick_dangerous
  • Like 3