Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from semi rural North Yorks! 200P on its way

Double Star

Hello everyone

Currently eagerly awaiting delivery of our first telescope (bought with a contribution of hard-earned pocket money from my 7 year old son and a bit of a parent top-up!) from FLO.... a 200P Dobsonian.  Looks like quite a thing for a beginner, but it's been on the cards for well over a year.  Looks like Saturday may give us a decent first session.

Much to learn, but keen not to go over technical and spoil the early magic.  With many years experience of SLR and the DSLR cameras, I'm resisting the temptation to get to involved with imaging in this new hobby, though a friend has unexpectedly lent me a Philips PCVC840K/00 webcam, which I understand is pretty decent for using with Registax.  We've got Stellarium and looking forward to spotting a few things.

We're on the edge of Milky Way grade dark skies here and have a local astronomical society to approach at some point.

Couldn't see Lovejoy last night with my humble 8x40s, so wondering whether it will be around enough on Saturday with the 200P to hand.

Looking forward to dropping in here!

DS

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the brilliant welcomes everyone! Looks like Saturday will be the only clear skies I'm likely to see for a few days, but that would at least be a start, fingers crossed.  Fed Ex expected imminently, but may have to stare lovingly at it for a couple of nights.  I should get to check collimation at an event next week, but not sure it I can do much else I can do to prepare for first clear skies, other than keep learning my way around.

Nice to hear you are expecting a very nice man from Fedex, as I was a few days ago. You will be handed a very big box (in your case a much bigger box) and the very nice man will say "Can you just sign here please".

You will then shut the door and with a big grin on your face,   :grin:  feel like a child who has just been given a new toy by Santa! Try to keep calm, sit down, have a cup of tea and relax. You can now open the box and carefully unwrap what looks like a Missile Launcher, yes an 8" scope seems that big.

Welcome to this happy band of people who seem to sleep during the day and appear, only when it's dark!  Happy star gazing!   :rolleyes:

Archived