Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What are your current get aroundtuit jobs

bomberbaz

post-26735-0-88576300-1417474926.jpg

Hehe ok joking aside what have you got planned that you want to get done to improve (maybe in your mind in some cases :tongue: ) your astronomical experience. I have 4 at the moment that I really want to do.

1. Flock my dob. Had the flocking for ages but just can't seem to convince myself its that big a deal to get it done. (shaded with a little fear of taking the job on)
  2. Redo my recently done foam in eyepiece case. The recently done and very nicely laid out (if I do say so myself) has started to break apart. Much as I feared and actually high on my list.
  3. Make a sun filter. Have the film and again, think its a cross of fear of the unknown and inertia that are stopping me.
  4. Change the mounting position on my 100p to a side view for the focuser and this then also allows a 6x30 viewfinder to be fitted on the top.
  5. Make a compact box for my 100p that will fit into boot so I have the ultimate in grab and go. i do a lot of travelling locally and the number of times I have looked up in remote-ish locations and wished I had a scope!

So in all honesty, 1 good weekend when Mrs Bomberbaz is at wor and i would see this off so i am hoping this thread will kick start me into cracking on.

Next  :grin:

ps, just realised this is 5

Steve

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Run a permanent power line to the obsy instead of wedging a camping extension lead in the corner of the patio door :o

I have the correct rating outdoor socket and borrowed a masonry bit long enough to go through the wall. I have an RCD plug for the indoor end and waterproof sealant for the cable/hole on the outdoor end. Just have to do it now.

I also have to get a pier adaptor made and installed (along with the rest of the pier).

Loads of to do jobs

1 Get the mirror cell pimped (anodised) on my big scope

2 Get an anti dew kit fitted to same scope

3 Fit a nexus system 

4 Swap out a few eyepieces.

Unfortunately all of these require time and money I can't spare at the moment :(

Ahhh, there's always jobs to do!!

Putting wheelbarrow handles on my dob to cart it around. Don't think the old ticker can cope any more with the excitement of a monster dob falling off a sack trolley... :D

It won't fit in the car with the four of us, either, as I had added reinforcement to the dobsonian base to make it more sturdy and it needs to be reconverted into a collapsible one.

Need a new Ep case as the old one got mildewy when it was in storage. Sorted out the damp problem. Probably knock a few pieces of hardwood veneer together and make a sturdy case....

The long term plan is to make a travel backpack dob of a reasonable aperture.

Creating as obsy so I can actually do some observing. More often than not my dodgy back won't let me carry the EQ6.

Sadly I have no cash and my back wouldn't allow me to do the construction work anyway :(   #retiredastronomer #lotsofkitinstorage #fedupastronomer

1. Finish Solar Spectrograph - it's been on hold and is almost (90%) operational (this including making a mounting bracket and fine adjustment for the grating).

2. Fix second dew strap

3. Finish pier (do sub-tasks count?):

3a. Wait for salt shedding of the pier then seal

3b. Paint peir

3c. Install power/data line into the garage, moving Rubbish off the shelf to install power supply etc on that shelf, install power/usb box on the pier.

3d. Get sparky to hookup armoured power cable from the house to the garage

Decide what the new scope is going to be, I've been dithering for the last six/seven months.

Anyway Steve with the current weather you've got plenty of time to finish your "to do list" and do some decorating to earn some brownie points  :p

I am trying, and failing to get  my wife to agree to me having a concrete square about  6` x 8` laid  in the lawn so that I can have something decent to put my scope/mount  on rather than turning the, what was nice lawn into a muddy mess!!

No luck so far......will try again after Xmas!!  :angry5:

I've cracked through a load of little bits and bobs (which unfortunately seem to have cost quite a lot!) so my kit is pretty much in the state I want it.

Two main outstanding jobs:

1) Cut and finish a section of Ali pipe to act as a short pier extension so it is easier to use my Giro-WR on the EQ6 tripod without hitting the legs

2) Fit a D-ERF internally on my Genesis so I can use the Quark in it

Actually there is a 3rd which has been outstanding for probably 3 years and that is to re-assemble my SX250. It's not a huge task but I do need to drill the tube to fit a new spider so am probably just avoiding it cos I'm scared!! ;-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the wretched TAL reflector refurbed - after more than two years its still sat in a cupboard looking sorry for itself.

On the upside I have build a fair few projects for my rocketry - one of which really is the biz :)

Are these rockets going to make an appearance in the Lounge then AB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived