Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What are your current get aroundtuit jobs

bomberbaz

Best of luck Stridor, my desire for an observatory was well received until I marked out the ground plan in the back garden.

The " planning dept "swiftly crushed all hope!

A  pier however, did get planning consent, but  strangely the impetus of the construction dept has fizzled out and is low on the list of things to do.

I instead bought a 12" Dob!

The refractor I think will probably live out its days on the tripod.

I suppose i should not complain, I was able to insist on a south facing rear garden in a village with quite good skies upon retirement. :smiley:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

Hehe ok joking aside what have you got planned that you want to get done to improve (maybe in your mind in some cases :tongue: ) your astronomical experience. I have 4 at the moment that I really want to do.

1. Flock my dob. Had the flocking for ages but just can't seem to convince myself its that big a deal to get it done. (shaded with a little fear of taking the job on)
  2. Redo my recently done foam in eyepiece case. The recently done and very nicely laid out (if I do say so myself) has started to break apart. Much as I feared and actually high on my list.
  3. Make a sun filter. Have the film and again, think its a cross of fear of the unknown and inertia that are stopping me.
  4. Change the mounting position on my 100p to a side view for the focuser and this then also allows a 6x30 viewfinder to be fitted on the top.
  5. Make a compact box for my 100p that will fit into boot so I have the ultimate in grab and go. i do a lot of travelling locally and the number of times I have looked up in remote-ish locations and wished I had a scope!

So in all honesty, 1 good weekend when Mrs Bomberbaz is at wor and i would see this off so i am hoping this thread will kick start me into cracking on.

Next  :grin:

ps, just realised this is 5

Steve

Job 2 on list above done. Next weekend when my better half is working I intend doing 3 & 4 and hopefully drawing up the plans for number 5.

I am trying, and failing to get  my wife to agree to me having a concrete square about  6` x 8` laid  in the lawn so that I can have something decent to put my scope/mount  on rather than turning the, what was nice lawn into a muddy mess!!

No luck so far......will try again after Xmas!!  :angry5:

You're working on entirely the wrong proposal here.  What you need to suggest is a nice paved seating area in the lawn.  If it just happens to be a convenient size and position for observing, well, aren't you the lucky one? :D

James

You're working on entirely the wrong proposal here.  What you need to suggest is a nice paved seating area in the lawn.  If it just happens to be a convenient size and position for observing, well, aren't you the lucky one? :D

James

Yup.. offering to redesign the garden.. 

Although I got permission first for the pier.. then with the slightly disapproving look at the state of the grass (read muddy mess) I've offered to relay the paving and put in a nicer looking path - including around the pier..

• 4 weeks later...
  1. Flock my dob. Had the flocking for ages but just can't seem to convince myself its that big a deal to get it done. (shaded with a little fear of taking the job on)
  2. Redo my recently done foam in eyepiece case. The recently done and very nicely laid out (if I do say so myself) has started to break apart. Much as I feared and actually high on my list.
  3. Make a sun filter. Have the film and again, think its a cross of fear of the unknown and inertia that are stopping me.
  4. Change the mounting position on my 100p to a side view for the focuser and this then also allows a 6x30 viewfinder to be fitted on the top.
  5. Make a compact box for my 100p that will fit into boot so I have the ultimate in grab and go. i do a lot of travelling locally and the number of times I have looked up in remote-ish locations and wished I had a scope!

Ok so job numbers 1  and 4 done now (even flocked the 100p as well) but I am going to end up doing 2 yet again as I am re-organising my EP collection although no rush for job 2, job number 3 is now highest on my list due to impending eclipse and huge lack of viewing time at night. 

Also adding to the job list making some solar glasses as part of number 4. 

Re-lay the patio that is in a rather more dodgy state than I thought when i bought the house. Use the oportunity to cast a concrete foundation block for a pier. No SWMBO to say nay.

No room for an obsy unfortunately but a sentry box might be do-able.

My list -

1. Retire from Army

2. Convince wife to immigrate to Western USA (Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada etc)

3. Use military pension to purchase land, build property with observatory

4. Post photos on SGL of beautiful clear desert nights

5. Have RV ready to attend Astro Events

What can I say, never busted my ass in NI, Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Iraq and Afghanistan for nothing! Also, might get myself a Masters in Astronomy just for the hell of it.

I am trying, and failing to get  my wife to agree to me having a concrete square about  6` x 8` laid  in the lawn so that I can have something decent to put my scope/mount  on rather than turning the, what was nice lawn into a muddy mess!!

No luck so far......will try again after Xmas!!  :angry5:

That easy ,laid the 6x8 and cover with

Artificial Grass

1. Finish painting the bathroom

2. Finish painting the ruddy bathroom

3. Stop reading SGL

4. Stop researching 12v power supplies

5. PAINT THE RUDDY BATHROOOOOM!

Where's the flaming paint...

Still haven't done no. 3 :(

I think you'd better paint that darned bathroom :p

I keep putting off stripping down my CGEM mount, there's a possible lose cable or encoder problem that causes random slew's but pulling apart a goto EQ mount is one thing I have not attempted before. Other job on the list was clean the primary on the 300 f6 but decided to do that after lunch on Christmas day, as you do. :smiley: It's now looking Very Very shiny. :grin:     

My biggest 'roundtoit' involves EDF getting 'aroundtoit', I have agreed and signed all the papers for them to cut down an existing in use concrete pylon to a height of my specification, and them planting a new pylon on the far side of my lane thus moving the power lines 100yds further away. Then I can install my mount, build a shed obsy and comfortably observe.

Painting bathrooms is a vastly over rated pastime for a bloke, we only spend 10mins in the place to start with. ;) Solution, fit a very low watt light bulb. :)

Painting bathrooms is a vastly over rated pastime for a bloke, we only spend 10mins in the place to start with. ;) Solution, fit a very low watt light bulb. :)

Flaming paint is equally pointless.  It'll never work properly in such a damp environment...

James

I keep thinking of flocking my little scope to maximise what it can show me...but, to be honest, I'm terrified of removing/replacing the secondary etc, so really I'm hoping one day to get someone to do it for me!

I just did mine and it was simples although i did have some help

It's a bit off topic but the bathroom is now painted!

But the woodwork isn't glossed yet as there was some filling to do and it's not cured yet.

Missus wasn't impressed...

Anyway a more 'astro' to do list is:

1. Wire up a cigar socket incl. fuse on the positive wire

2. Use said socket to check the bench power supply works

3. Keep an eye out for delivery man who should be bringing me an HEQ5...

then I can go do the glossing...

Archived