Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazing live 2014

northwalesparry

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thoroughly enjoyed the three shows this year. I thought they were the best yet. Everything from Saturn to the aurora to the discovery of the galaxy with its gravitational lensing. The knowledge and enthusiasm of the presenters and guests is just so inspiring. I liked the comment at the end about our bodies being made of hydrogen atoms that were formed only 3 million years after the big bang!

I've got this funny habit of trying to spot constellations whenever I see images of the night sky, whether its in a film or tv programme, etc, so during the aurora shots from the plane this evening I was quite pleased to make out the keystone in hercules, and vega and lyra, and also a little bit of cygus :grin:

Well I'd got an e-mail from the BBC saying that they might use my image of M81 for the show... but they used from some outfit called NASA instead.

Hi

I was extremely disappointed with the images used in the program , would been a lot better if it had used yours :)

I could not make out if the program was aimed at , I did not feel it was aimed at us armatures  

Regards

Harry

I need a 1,000,000,000 pixel camera

Check FLO's website, I'm sure they will have one listed by Monday...!

Great show again tonight. It's just wonderful to see and hear such enthusiasm in the mainstream about something I love. Let's hope more people stop staring at the ground and do look up. It's awesome what's up there.

Favourite bit of tonight's show - when the kid has just looked at M31 and is pretty underwhelmed, he's then told how many millions of miles away that smudge is. He looked genuinely captivated by that concept. Superb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoyed this years shows think they were much better then last year and tonight's with the Aurora was the icing on the cake really good its just a shame we have to wait another 12 months for it to come round again.

Maybe we should get a petition started to get more shows :smiley:   

I need a 1,000,000,000 pixel camera

Even just one of those blocks would be nice.  A huge 2 inch CCD would be nice thanks!

Enjoyed the shows this year.  Good guests and great content.

Not massively keen on Dr Porcock, well at least not live.  Very excitable - almost a bit manic, hurt my head to look at. I work with someone who has that exact same nature and talks the same way all the time.  It's hard work.  I guess on a non live show they can get it right by taking the best takes.

On the plus side she was very keen, knowledgable and enthusiastic which can only be a good thing.  In reality S@N is a bit fundemental for most of us anyway.. I think its more pitched at entry level amateur astronomers.

Seriously, If we, the members of SGL were magically transported back to watch the big bang unfold,  about a third would think it was amazing, a third would moan about it being too dark and dusty and another third would have it condemned before we even arrived.

SPM didn't last 50 years because of his ravishing good looks or his perfect broadcasting voice.... he did it with knowledge, tenacity and a whole lot of entheusiasm.

To balance my comment I felt the first 10 minutes of the show last night all the presenters were manic, time pressured or excited (except Dara who balanced it).

The back half of the show settled down.  Didn't watch the 2nd show yet from last night as I wanted to put a scope out!

Seriously, If we, the members of SGL were magically transported back to watch the big bang unfold,  about a third would think it was amazing, a third would moan about it being too dark and dusty and another third would have it condemned before we even arrived.

But that is true of any forum for anything (I think SGL is nowhere near as bad as some cycling forums). Enthusiasts are the hardest to please, quickest to criticise and keen to acknowledge greatness. But we are all wonderful because we are here. :grin:

I thought last mights show was the best of the three.

Oddly enough I'd caught a bit of an early broadcast by Maggie where her cadences were very strange, with pauses in all the wrong places. Last night, although she spoke fast (But not too fast to keep up with) at least her pauses were in the right places.

A good bit of actual stargazing and some images of galaxies that will give beginners a realistic idea of what to expect, unlike the first prog. Maybe someone had a word with them!

1st time I have watched these 'live' events and impressed. For me the shows got better as the 3 nights wore on.

Nice to see a bit more stargazing last night.

I would like to see the shows extended either in running time and number of nights as there is a lot to pack in.

If the BBC can find 5 or 6 nights for the likes of Lambing Live I don't think its much to ask to give us a week or so

Even just one of those blocks would be nice.  A huge 2 inch CCD would be nice thanks!

Enjoyed the shows this year.  Good guests and great content.

Not massively keen on Dr Porcock, well at least not live.  Very excitable - almost a bit manic, hurt my head to look at. I work with someone who has that exact same nature and talks the same way all the time.  It's hard work.  I guess on a non live show they can get it right by taking the best takes.

On the plus side she was very keen, knowledgable and enthusiastic which can only be a good thing.  In reality S@N is a bit fundemental for most of us anyway.. I think its more pitched at entry level amateur astronomers.

LOL, know what you mean, my head was all over the place watching her speak.

But like you said, very knowledgable.

She got the job by being a top Astronomer and scientist, pretty good criteria I think!

Indeed and I am happy to give her the benefit of the doubt, but being a great scientist and astronomer will be of little use if she talks so quickly people struggle to understand her. Hopefully it's just first night nerves.

As for the show itself I really enjoyed it,so interesting would have liked perhaps a little more amature field astronomy even if pre recorded but well done all involved. Be intersting to see if flo experience the cox effect this year after the dreadful weather we've all experienced this winter.

great series again this year. my highlights were day 2 with the astronauts and dr porco, especially the back to earth show.

walt cunningham and chris hadfield are absolute legends and i could just sit and listen to them talking about their experiences for hours and hours. it was great listening to walt and chris comparing then and now, especially with the probability of failure and the expectation of losses for manned mars missions.

must admit, i did get irked when dara interrupted the debate that was raging for something that i felt could've been bumped, on the fly, towards the end of the show. major coup for the bbc getting these guests on the show though!

liked how brian cox also got narked at the interruption of science for the k-9 music thing on day 3.

great series again this year. my highlights were day 2 with the astronauts and dr porco, especially the back to earth show.

walt cunningham and chris hadfield are absolute legends and i could just sit and listen to them talking about their experiences for hours and hours. it was great listening to walt and chris comparing then and now, especially with the probability of failure and the expectation of losses for manned mars missions.

must admit, i did get irked when dara interrupted the debate that was raging for something that i felt could've been bumped, on the fly, towards the end of the show. major coup for the bbc getting these guests on the show though!

liked how brian cox also got narked at the interruption of science for the k-9 music thing on day 3.

Yes walt cunningham and chris hadfield were fantastic...like you could have listened to them all night

Notwithstanding the genuine merits of "Star Gazing Live" - I look forward less *controversial* times?

These days "science" is about BANTER? Will Carloyn.P "top" Chris.L? Will Brian.C "beat" K.9? lol  :D

I don't envy Maggie A.P (I wouldn't bother!). But I do hope she is given a *real chance* though...

Indeed and I am happy to give her the benefit of the doubt, but being a great scientist and astronomer will be of little use if she talks so quickly people struggle to understand her. Hopefully it's just first night nerves.

As for the show itself I really enjoyed it,so interesting would have liked perhaps a little more amature field astronomy even if pre recorded but well done all involved. Be intersting to see if flo experience the cox effect this year after the dreadful weather we've all experienced this winter.

Yes, lets hope she is as slow speaking and coherent as was Sir Patrick?

enjoyed the 1st 2 shows, missed the last half of  the 3rd one tho, got it recorded to watch tonight tho :)

Did I correctly hear Maggie introduced as a "co-presenter" or "one of the presenters" or something like that rather than "the new presenter" of S@N?

not sure... but is Maggie allways like she was when she was on SGL, she seemed soooo uncomfortable, when she was asked a question it was like she was super rushing her answers, it felt a tad awkward lol, might just be me?

I enjoyed all three programmes, with just a couple of minor comments.

Perhaps a little too much aurora borealis, amazing as it was.

The totally stupid K-9 quizzes.

I also felt Maggie did not come across very well. I know we've been through this in previous threads, but I fear for S@N

Having said all that it was probably the best three nights of TV I've had since the last Stargazing Live.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

A good bit of actual stargazing and some images of galaxies that will give beginners a realistic idea of what to expect, unlike the first prog. Maybe someone had a word with them!

I wondered that too! 

I enjoyed last night's show and Maggie!

enjoyed the 1st 2 shows, missed the last half of  the 3rd one tho, got it recorded to watch tonight tho :)

not sure... but is Maggie allways like she was when she was on SGL, she seemed soooo uncomfortable, when she was asked a question it was like she was super rushing her answers, it felt a tad awkward lol, might just be me?

I don't at all mean this in a nasty way because I really like her, but Maggie does have a slightly odd presentation style IMO. She will be an acquired taste for some. But she is very enthusiastic about science.

Archived