SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazing live 2014

northwalesparry

My own personal thoughts on this years format is what they have shown although I have enjoyed it will in no way really inspire me to go and buy a scope, get into the garden and start this amazing hobby but then is that what the show is about?

I'm worried that it's inspired me to get a Solar scope :)

Dave

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they dont get out with their scopes tonight I will be surprised - its ultra-clear out there. How ironic, a perfect sky will mean most will be out actually doing astronomy rather than watching it - ive got it on series record anyway :)

If they dont get out with their scopes tonight I will be surprised - its ultra-clear out there. How ironic, a perfect sky will mean most will be out actually doing astronomy rather than watching it - ive got it on series record anyway :)

Me too - just need to get the kids to bed double quick.   The sky looks very clear and inviting, despite work tomorrow :)

I'm worried that it's inspired me to get a Solar scope :)

Dave

As it happens we have built the body and are waiting on the astro film arriving for our solar filter  :grin:  But have to say nothing to do with SGL, more educating the little one on our nearest star.

As it happens we have built the body and are waiting on the astro film arriving for our solar filter  :grin:  But have to say nothing to do with SGL, more educating the little one on our nearest star.

SGL is us, the BBC show is sgl ;):D

Carolyn was fab, the astronauts were fab, but would have to agree with this:

I really enjoyed it too. Only criticism was when they were showing you where to find galaxies around Ursa Major, I thought the pictures they showed were too detailed. In other words, if I ran out to get a scope, I'd be disappointed with the smudges I'd find, rather than the beautiful detailed spiral structures shown on the programme.

Barry

I have to admit to shouting "What are you doing?!" at the telly at this point!

We'll have to send them a link:grin:

It's a bit late to think of it now, but maybe sending them sketches would be an idea. Some of the sketches posted on here look great, and they're a lot more like the eyepiece views than photos.

I really enjoyed it too. Only criticism was when they were showing you where to find galaxies around Ursa Major, I thought the pictures they showed were too detailed. In other words, if I ran out to get a scope, I'd be disappointed with the smudges I'd find, rather than the beautiful detailed spiral structures shown on the programme.

Funny you should write that. I have had two friends with young families today asking; can I buy a scope for under £100 and get those views ? At least they asked me first. I wonder other people are thinking the same ?

Barry

Well I'd got an e-mail from the BBC saying that they might use my image of M81 for the show... but they used from some outfit called NASA instead.

The Coloured lady on the show (sorry I've forgotten her name) speaks awfully quickly and seems very excitable - not sure I'm going to enjoy that on the Sky at Night next month but got to give her a shot perhaps it was just first night nerves tonight

The Coloured lady on the show (sorry I've forgotten her name) speaks awfully quickly and seems very excitable - not sure I'm going to enjoy that on the Sky at Night next month but got to give her a shot perhaps it was just first night nerves tonight

Her name is Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock!

Now let me see if I can think of another Sky at Night presenter who spoke quickly and was very excitable!

Give the woman a chance, I say.  She hasn't even made her first show yet!

Yep maggy I think her name is,how did she get the job for sky at night?,I will go nuts if I got listen to her for half hour.

She got the job by being a top Astronomer and scientist, pretty good criteria I think!

She was nervous i reckon, i dare say sky at night wont be live either.... we'll see.

Another good show although if that guy said "exquisite precision" one more time i would have thown something at the TV.......

Really enjoyed this years show, last night was by far the best show, i do wish they'd do that more often (I bet FLO are saying the same)

Well done boy's

Archived