Narrowband

Stargazing live 2014

northwalesparry

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the beauties of astronomy is no matter how many people join in it doesnt get crowded  :smiley:

Over 1200 people at a SGlive event at Oxford Uni felt pretty crowded last night  :shocked:   2-10pm with an endless flow of people, solar moved seamlessly to lunar observing (others on Jupiter etc)  with never a break in the crowds!!  Stargazing is pretty popular at the moment - long may it last  (as long as I don't have to explain sunspots and crater formation to anyone for a very long time)  :grin:

Yes, 2,500 at the National Museum in Cardiff yesterday - and over 200 of them had a view through my scope of the Sun and then Moon.  Lots of interested children and adults.  And from the number of questions about CMEs I think they'd been listening as well as watching!

Helen

I missed this years programs live, due to working nightshifts and therefore had to catch up the next day. I have been impressed with the northern lights for many a year and really enjoyed this years series of SGL. I thought it had a better format than last year and hope next years is as good :smiley:

Did anyone else manage to get their hands on a free SGLive 2014 Calendar? We went to a stargazing event that the local Space Club (astronomical society is too fancy for my liking) the day after the end of the series, and they had piles of them. They're really quite good quality, and some of the photos are breathtaking- and then there's the friendly reminders about things to point your scope at, too :p

Did anyone else manage to get their hands on a free SGLive 2014 Calendar? We went to a stargazing event that the local Space Club (astronomical society is too fancy for my liking) the day after the end of the series, and they had piles of them. They're really quite good quality, and some of the photos are breathtaking- and then there's the friendly reminders about things to point your scope at, too :p

Yea we got a couple when we visited the Blackpool Astronomy Society event, there wasn't any where the numbers other events had but as complete newcomers to it all we were made very welcome, for some unknown reason I honestly thought it would full of anorak's but how wrong was I!

They were the most friendly bunch of people, they really made our livi so welcome and I got to meet and talk to Starman from here  :cool:

Along with the series and the little event at Blackpool both really sparked the magic for our little un, now toying with the idea of becoming members of BADAS

I think that the first of a series - even a yearly series - will generate more enquiries than later ones.

I was at the Portsmouth session on Tuesday and it was heaving.  They said 5000 people and I believe them.  The lucky people in the first 1/2 hour saw the Moon through the hazy cloud, later on they had to make do with the top of the Spinnaker tower.

Our Astro Society open meeting on Saturday was really busy, I hear about 160 people came.  Our Telescope evening on Wednesday was also busy, so was the practical session - what to do with the scope you got for Christmas - at the beginning of January and no one turned up with a department store scope!

These programs are intended as entertainment as well as, hopefully, instruction and aimed at people who know much less than we do.  We can't expect there to be much in these programs we don't know, more that we will be expected to do some of the instruction.

I think there's a huge benefit in these programmes in making people aware of and sympathetic to science.  Some will be motivated to take it up but more importantly people will be sympathetic to money being spent on this sort of thing and that will, in the long term, benefit all of us.

Chris

Archived