Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL 8 - General Banter

daz

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earth titan..

Look forward to meeting you..I am on pitch 41 next to you..

There is a good 3G vodaphone signal...and a free wifi but this is only up for some browsing..

All we need now is some gaps in the cloud..

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Earth titan..

Look forward to meeting you..I am on pitch 41 next to you..

There is a good 3G vodaphone signal...and a free wifi but this is only up for some browsing..

All we need now is some gaps in the cloud..

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Will see you there. Just packing.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Packed and will be on my way at midday. Looks like I might be camping in my car if the rain doesn't stop! Will they let me doss out in the loos over night?! :grin::evil:

Don't forget your wellies!

Just had breakfast in the cafe, yummy. At what other star party can you get cooked meals on site?

sorry but it looks like camping is out for us. Weve both been under the weather with the fluey bug thing. As wonderful as your company was last year - camping in the rain really doesnt appeal. We'll see about coming down tomorrow for theday to say hello (and the hog rost :) )

Have fun.

Tony

Roo and I will be there tomorrow around midday we're also giving Tom aka Hypernova a lift. I was going to bring the society's solar scope along but looking at the weather forecast I don't think I'll bother :( However, I will be packing my scope and a pair of bins so here's hoping.....

See you all tomorrow

Dave

Packing this evening and will arrive tomorrow 'for one night only' (as was always the plan unfortunately). Still, it will be my first SGL, so it will be nice to meet everyone who is there. I will have my new gear from FLO with me (AZ EQ6-GT and C8) plus my Mallincam Extreme so I may record some rain video from the shelter :( Also will have a Homestar planetarium projector with me, so at least you could see stars projected on the roof of the Tea tent!

I will be there tomorrow hopefully with Dellis, I am looking forward to attending despite the poor weather forecast for the next, just being there this year will be enough :smiley:

Still gutted I missed last night and also tonight with a pitch sat there by the river vacant, waiting for me but at least I will get one night out of it and it won't be a total loss for the weekend. Hopefully by the time SGL9 swings around (there will be one, won't there? :tongue:) I will have a more reliable vehicle (hopefully a bike) to get me there and back without knackering it's stator every 2 months :grin:

Just got back, and managed to get mud on absolutely everything except the imaging gear. A brilliant idea I saw used by Starflyer was to put a bit of decking outside the entrance to the tent, that way you dont end up with a muddy puddle outside your door (and half a ton of soil inside your tent!). A lot more spiders than last year too :)

Its the first time the tent has been subjected to sleet, ice, wind and rain and it stood up to it quite well. In fact, in the three days I was there we seem to have had all extremes of weather!

Imaging-wise I managed get enough data on Wednesday night to make a start on the Iris nebula, but it still needs more CCD luminance (only got 3 hours per pane) and possibly another 4 or 5 hours on the 1000d (currently 4.5 hours).

Another thing I learnt is not to try and use two heaters at the same time - we tried that and ended up tripping the breaker, which cost me 20 minutes in having to re-calibrate the mount and PHD again. And one thing you must try is taking an electric blanket. Wednesday night was bitterly cold, I'd never attempted to camp out in such cold conditions before so it was a bit of a shock to see ice on the inside of the tent so the fan heater on low and an the leccy blanket made for a toasty nights sleep. First night I didnt pack up until 4.15am, actually I passed out in my chair somewhere between 2 and 4 but the mount chugged on regardless. But I'd better shut up about Wednesday night before I get lynched :D

Before we left we went to the BBQ buffet.... cor blimey did I need that! It really hit the spot, and was just the thing we needed for the trip home.

A big up to Daz for all the hard work he has put in organising the event.

I hope you guys get some clear sky this weekend, but for tonight it maybe another case of getting rather wobbly on the local cider/perry (thanks to Lewis for the tipple!), it had rather an unusual taste but it left me comfortably numb, just the job for keeping the cold out.

That was a nice buffet, esp that soup. Great to hear about the work SGL did for Sir Patrick Moore after that.

Now just hiding from the rain. I'm glad I brought a large tent which I can sit, stand, and cook in and not last year's small backpacking tunnel tent.

What're everyone else doing when it's raining?

That was a nice buffet, esp that soup. Great to hear about the work SGL did for Sir Patrick Moore after that.

Now just hiding from the rain. I'm glad I brought a large tent which I can sit, stand, and cook in and not last year's small backpacking tunnel tent.

What're everyone else doing when it's raining?

drinking and image processing. Everything looks better when half cut :)

Back in Egham watching the rugby with georgeb..tent flooded this morning and even my stonking hangover couldn't keep me in it...thanks to astronut and lulu for drying my jacket! Had a top time though, even if i did miss out on the decent weather...enjoy the rest and stay dry!....

Archived