Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 8 - General Banter

daz

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm (my laptop) processing a timelapse taken today of the clouds from 12:00 until 20:00. 2480 raw files to be exposure adjusted and balanced and then compiled in Premiere Pro. While that is all happening I'm reading 50 Shades of Grey, ladies you should be ashamed ;) my wife told me it was about photography !!!!!!

oh yeah, it's still raining lol

Rain .. Rain stopped .. Hog Roast (nice) .. Rain .. Darkness .. Sleet .. Snow (big flakes) and Sleet ... Next event will be breakfast for me. Snow not settling yet, too soggy & squishy on the ground. Let's see how it looks tomorrow, perhaps a peek at our local star before packing away (one can hope). Got a good MiFi signal, Netflix plays on the iPad a treat :)

I have been home (Newport) since 20.00 and the skies have been crystal clear since then. We usually get the weather a short time before Hereford, so it's a good indicator of what's to come.

I hope it clears up for you guys. :smile:

Just popped out back for a sneaky peak at Saturn... Wobbling all over the place as scope not cooled , but wahey ! Its Saturn :D

Haven't seen Saturn in about a year.. it's invisible due to houses in my back garden, hopefully I'll be able to go to some dark sites for it though :).

Looking forward to the nights' report, everyone who's at SGL8 that is :).

It cleared about 11.30 through till about 1.30am. I had a lovely evening with the Dob looking up old favourites and tracking down new ones. There is a bit of ice on the scope but nothing like Wednesdsy night. Little night cap and then I'm turning in. :)

I should have stayed up for a bit longer. Woke up at around 1230 am from the GOTO noise. Dressed, and set up... but by the time I finished setting up, the cloud came back.

Disheartened, I packed up again. After packing up, some clear patches showed up, so just stargased for a while. Didn't bother getting the scope or binocular this time. Saw a meteor just before I finished, so not all bad.

Woke up hearing the guys with the dob next door (thanks for the wake up haitch!), discussing looking at the Leo triplet. That decided it for me! Got back up, got my first view of the Leo triplet pretty amazing, also incredible view of M3 in the 16" dob was breathtaking. Then first view of Saturn this year in my own scope (sorry Keith that goto was me! Those celestron mounts are *not* quiet :o ) , few more targets first sighting of M49, possible sighting of two of the Leo triplet in my 6" but too hazy by then to be sure, visibility now pretty atrocious so packed up and back to bed. Now looking forward to a bacon sarnie.

Ps... Hog roast .... NOM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just home and shaken all the ice off the tent!

Really pleased to have been there and meet up. Awoke at 10.30 last night to a pocket of clear dark sky, it cleared and gave a couple of hours of super viewing until the clag set in.

Many thanks to Daz and all for such an enjoyable event,

Nick.

Just home and shaken all the ice off the tent!

Really pleased to have been there and meet up. Awoke at 10.30 last night to a pocket of clear dark sky, it cleared and gave a couple of hours of super viewing until the clag set in.

Many thanks to Daz and all for such an enjoyable event,

Nick.

Thanks again Nick for the push start, I could've been stuck in that muck for eternity without your help! Hope you enjoy the new scope when it arrives :grin:

Not long back home myself, massive thanks to Earth Titan for taking me there due to my car playing up, & another massive thanks to Steph & Carl for letting me stay in their awning over the weekend. Ok so the weather wasn't very kind but it was nice to see some familiar faces & catch up plus we had a right laugh especially with the cheese & onion pasty sprinkled with crushed frazzles in a wrap guy (sorry I forgot your name) I did manage a short session of some solar observing yesterday & it did clear for a bit last night so at least I got my observing fix in & another thanks to Sarah & Luke for allowing me to view object through your 16" Dob.

Another thanks goes to John trying to keep us all dry under your parasol yesterday. :grin:

Big thanks to Daz for organising the event & for your help.

Roll on SGL9

Woke up at around 1230 am from the GOTO noise.

I suspect that may really have been me as the CG5 aka coffee grinder was practically on Keiths head and I had to redo the alignment, so apologies for waking you :embarassed:

We never did really get much astronomy done, my USB cables were at a real stretch without sticking the mount in a huge pile of mud - which I really didn't want to do! So after about an hour half tweak, realigning and recalibrating PHD I threw my toys out of the pram and packed up! Thankfully my shame was a lessened a little when Haitch informed me it clouded back up about 20mins after I quit :tongue:

Here's our mud pit:

post-15439-0-31783400-1363529924_thumb.j

Big thanks to all and really nice to meet everyone. Special thanks to Daz for organising the event, NickK and Astrognome for helping us with pitching the tent, having not camped since I was 11 was pretty clueless! and Michael Morris and Haitch for taking the time to show us around their gear, and everyone who gave advise or came for a bit of a chin wag :icon_salut:

Despite the weather restricting us we still had a great time and we will definitely look to come again next year.

There's a couple of things that will remind me of this weekend:

The clouds!

post-15439-0-75226000-1363530422_thumb.j

The breakfast :grin:

post-15439-0-66457000-1363530532_thumb.j

The ducks who seemed to have a wrestling match next to our tent each morning, and this one that we seemed to have annoyed greatly!

post-15439-0-85741200-1363530622_thumb.j

And a couple more one of NickK giving us a chance to try his 2x 2"powermate and one each of me and my OH viewing the sun in white light:

post-15439-0-27559500-1363530769_thumb.j

post-15439-0-42858800-1363530815_thumb.j

post-15439-0-71302800-1363530870_thumb.j

Thanks again,

Barry

We never did really get much astronomy done, my USB cables were at a real stretch without sticking the mount in a huge pile of mud - which I really didn't want to do! So after about an hour half tweak, realigning and recalibrating PHD I threw my toys out of the pram and packed up! Thankfully my shame was a lessened a little when Haitch informed me it clouded back up about 20mins after I quit :tongue:

Barry

I think the mud was becoming a real problem, moreso for the site rather than the campers.

I left two nights early because of back problems, but if I had to move my tent to compy with the forth night rule, I think I would have caused more damage moving than staying put.

Archived